Annual Halloween on the Hill a success

Published: Friday, September 1, 2000

Updated: Sunday, August 17, 2008 16:08

What do kids, Tufts, and Halloween have in common? Halloween on the Hill of course, an annual event organized by the Tufts Community Union Senate and student volunteers to entertain local area children. This year's program began yesterday at 2 p.m. with activities and games in the Carmichael Lounge and trick-or-treating at a Haunted House in West Hall.

The kids ranged in age from two to ten years old, including a bumblebee, age two, and Superman, age one. Superman's mother, Paula Padre, accompanied the 19-month-old to the activity stations in Carmichael.

"The kids are enjoying themselves," Padre said as she and Superman took a breather from the numerous activities. It was the first Halloween on the Hill for both mother and son.

The stations in Carmichael included a cookie decorating corner, face painting, a mummy wrap, a bean bag toss, a reading room, and a 'Touch and Feel Mystery' corner.

Some of the volunteers seemed to be having as much, if not more, fun than their younger guests. While some arrived in typical college student attire, other volunteers' costumes ranged from a witch telling stories in the Reading Room, to a guy featuring a realistic-looking Afro straight from the '70s, complete with a track suit, guiding kids to the mummy wrap.

"I'm glad that I volunteered," said freshman Henry Myint as he picked up some tissue paper for the wrap. "It's good to help kids, and it seems like they're having a lot of fun…. The volunteers are really getting into it."

Kids and volunteers braved the snow flurries and 30-degree weather on Sunday to participate in the event.

"It's a smaller group than past years," said senator Moira Poe, the event's organizer. "But considering the weather today, we're happy at the turnout of children." Some of the children who came in previous years recognized returning volunteers.

"It's fun seeing the different costumes and how much the returning kids have grown over the last year. Some kids who were quiet last year are now running around the place this year," she said.

Poe added that the schools around Tufts are already familiar with the event and the senate notifies the schools' superintendents and teachers, who give out permission slips for the children's parents to sign. To get volunteers, Poe and senior senator Alessandro Terenzoni e-mailed organizations and contacted dorm residents.

The event was organized jointly by Poe and Terenzoni. Volunteers from different organizations such as the Leonard Carmichael Society and the Child Development Center helped supervise the children. Additional volunteers from dorms, such as Carmichael, Hill, and West Hall, also helped out with the carnival games and activities fair.