Ad Templates

Click the links below each ad size to download a blank .tif or .jpg file optimized for that size.

TIFF | JPG

TIFF | JPG

TIFF | JPG

TIFF | JPG

Print Rates and Ad Sizes

The Daily sells print advertisements in a variety of sizes. Please see the information below for information about ad specifications and rates. For tips on how to design your ad, click here.

On-Campus Rates

These rates apply for both TCU and non-TCU group at Tufts

Base rate for custom-sized advertisements: $7 per column-inch

Size Column-inches Actual Dimensions Price
1/8 2.5 col. x 3.9 in. 4.9 in. X 3.9 in. $65
1/4 2.5 col. x 7.7 in. 4.9 in. x 7.7 in. $80
1/2 5 col. x 7.7 in. 10 in. x 7.7 in. $125
full 5 col. x 16 in. 10 in. x 16 in. $200
back 5 col. x 16 in. 10 in. x 16 in. $250

One column = 1.867 inches with a 0.925 inch gutter.

TCU student groups must pay using a TCU requisition form. All other Tufts organizations must pay using an interdepartmental requisition form (IDR).

Off-Campus Rates

The base rate for advertisements for off-campus businesses is $12 per column inch. The Tufts Daily offers a discount of $3 per column inch for businesses in the greater Boston area. These rates are reflected below.

Base rate: $12 per column inch

1/8 2.5 col. x 3.9 in. 4.9 in. X 3.9 in. $87
1/4 2.5 col. x 7.7 in. 4.9 in. x 7.7 in. $173
1/2 5 col. x 7.7 in. 10 in. x 7.7 in. $346
full 5 col. x 16 in. 5 col. x 16 in. $720
back 5 col. x 16 in. 10 in. x 16 in. $800

Discounts are available to off-campus clients willing to purchase bulk advertising. If you are a local restaurant, we offer goods-in-kind contracts. Please contact us at business@tuftsdaily.com to duscuss receiving advertising in the Daily for food.

National/ Agency Rates

Base rate: $12 per column inch

1/8 2.5 col. x 3.9 in. 4.9 in. X 3.9 in. $122
1/4 2.5 col. x 7.7 in. 4.9 in. x 7.7 in. $240
1/2 5 col. x 7.7 in. 10 in. x 7.7 in. $481
full 5 col. x 16 in. 5 col. x 16 in. $1000
back 5 col. x 16 in. 10 in. x 16 in. $1050

Insertion Rates and Information

We also offer insertions. Insertions are priced at $500/insertion for on campus and $1000 for off campus. Discounts are not available. 4300 copies are required for each insertion. The inserts must be received by noon in a clearly marked box indicating that the inserts are for the Tufts Daily. Insertions must be mailed directly to our publisher:

Gannett Offset Boston
565 University Ave
Norwood, MA 02062

Please contact us to schedule an insertion.

• Robert Joseph elected TCU Senate President

After a more than 12-hour delay, junior Robert Joseph was elected the next Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate President, defeating opponent Andrew Nunez, a junior. Joseph received 1151 votes, or 65 percent of the vote to Nunez’s 35 percent and 627 votes.

• No winner announced in TCU Senate presidential election

No winner was announced in the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate presidential election last night because of technological problems with the electronic voting system, Votenet. Tufts Election Commission (ECOM) has yet to decide whether the results of the election will be validated or a revote will occur.

• Op-Ed | Blame the Senate for boring candidates

Congratulations to Andrew Nuñez on your election to the position of President of the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate! Or congratulations to Robert Joseph on your election as president!  I'm very sorry — despite reading everything I could, I still can't discern the differences between you.

• photo

Campus Sustainability Council progress report outlines concrete goals, cultural changes

In the fiscal year 2013, Tufts' Medford/Somerville campus produced over 3,000 tons of total waste, recycling at a rate of just over 50 percent. In the fall, residence halls on campus collected 1,500 pounds of compostable waste. Total water consumption decreased on both the Medford/Somerville campus, as well as on the Boston and Grafton campuses.

• mtennis

Men's Tennis | Jumbos return to form with win over Judges

Despite facing strong adversity at key points throughout their season, the Jumbos are back on track for a strong finish following last weekend's 6-3 defeat of local rival Brandeis. With the departure of sophomore Nik Telkedzhiev and prolonged injuries sidelining fellow classmates Jay Glickman and Rob Jacobson, the team has had to rely on the rest of the squad to step up.

• kimmel

Women's Tennis | Tufts gets back on track with doubleheader victories

Following two tough losses last week against Williams and Amherst, the No. 18 women's tennis team got back to its winning ways at home this past Saturday in a pair of NESCAC matches against No. 15 Trinity and unranked Bates. Tufts, who had won four straight matches before facing Williams and Amherst, refused to let the midweek matches affect its early play against Trinity, taking a quick 2-1 lead in doubles.

• lax

Men's Lacrosse | Tufts downs Wesleyan, secures No. 1 seed for NESCAC tournament

Senior goalie Patton Watkins ran out the remaining seconds of regulation time in the No. 7 men's lacrosse team's home game against No. 18 Wesleyan on Saturday after making his final save of the day. It was a fitting way to close the 17-11 victory at Bello Field that officially locks the Jumbos in as the top seed in the NESCAC going into the postseason tournament that starts April 26.

• Marathon Team has successful day in Boston

More than 150 Tufts faculty, students, alumni and friends of the university — members of the Tufts Marathon Team (TMT) — toed the line at yesterday’s running of the 118th Boston Marathon. While the runners were generally exhausted, and in varying degrees of pain following the race, all expressed appreciation for the support from their coach, Don Megerle, from their teammates and from the nearly one million spectators who turned out to watch the 26.

• Faculty, students to bike 100 miles around campuses

Provost and Senior Vice President David Harris will lead the 2014 Tufts Century Ride on May 9, a 100-mile bike ride, open to the entire Tufts community, around the university's three campuses.  As a devoted cyclist, Harris said he was inspired to bring the Tufts community together through a bike ride that would expose people to the university as a whole — the main campus in Medford and Somerville, the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine in Grafton and the health sciences schools in Boston — in a single outing.

• Speakers discuss China, U.S. relationship during annual symposium

The seventh annual China-U.S. Symposium, held from April 17 to April 19, explored Chinese strategies when it engages with other nations, including the United States.  The symposium began with a formal buffet dinner and opening keynote last Thursday, where Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russel and Institute for Global Leadership (IGL) Founding Director Sherman Teichman, both spoke, according to symposium co-chair Lizzy Robinson.

• Sam Gold | The Gold Standard

The Gignac Attack

With just five games remaining, Olympique de Marseille is poised for a top-10 finish in Ligue 1, a major drop-off following a runner-up performance in its 2012-2013 campaign. Despite the lackluster second act, Marseille sits within striking distance of a sweet consolation prize: one of two UEFA Europa League spots.

• Mental commitment drives Tufts Marathon Team

For coach Don Megerle and the Tufts Marathon Team, the Boston Marathon has neither a beginning nor an ending. Megerle, who's gentle and disarming affect betray a legacy of unparalleled achievement, is the leader in not just name, but also in spirit, of a team that has been pounding the pavement down Boylston Street for 12 years.

• Album Review | Duck Sauce offers a one-dimensional yet fun debut

Some may think disco died in the early '80s, but one DJing duo has proved these people are mistaken. With the release of their debut album "Quack," Duck Sauce has brought disco music back into the spotlight. Comprised of two DJs, Canadian A-Trak and American Armand Van Helden, this electronic production duo has injected new life into a genre three-and-a-half decades past its prime.

• TV Review | 'Silicon Valley' features subtle, accessible humor

HBO's newest satire "Silicon Valley" is likely to be one of the most user-friendly comedies of 2014. Centered on a bumbling bunch of 20-something techies trying to make it big in Palo Alto, Calif., "Silicon Valley" mercilessly lampoons the Google-centric culture that the Internet-generation uniquely understands.

• Tufts Marathon team, Team of 57 strive to move forward

Every year, the Tufts Marathon Team gives out 100 marathon bibs to Tufts seniors, staff, alumni, parents and graduate students. These bibs are always highly sought after by the Tufts community, but this year, the team was overwhelmed with applications in light of last year's tragic events.

• Editorial | Robert Joseph is right choice for Tufts

Between the exams and papers that overwhelm students during the last week of school, it is important to read about the candidates for Tuesday’s Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate presidential election. Beyond allocating funds to student groups, the members of TCU play a significant role in campus culture and help shape university policy by acting as spokespeople for the student body.

• Introducing the candidates | Andrew Núñez is proponent of improved communication

As a candidate for Tufts Community Union (TCU) president, junior Andrew Núnez brands himself as a proponent of change, hoping to improve communication within the university. Núñez was elected as a senator in the fall of his freshman year, when he joined the Services Committee and the Culture, Ethnicity, Community Affairs (CECA) Committee.

• clinton

Clinton Global Initiative University helps fund student service projects

Financing the ideas that embody Tufts' spirit of "active citizenship" can be difficult. But the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U), a national conference several Tufts students attended last month, is working to change that.  Hosted by former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and their daughter Chelsea Clinton, CGI U brought together over 1,100 undergraduates from around the world — providing a select group of attendees with large grants for their service projects.

• veep

TV Review | 'Veep' remains TV's sharpest comedy

With a seemingly endless stream of bickering, partisan maneuvering and political drama, it's no wonder that Washington, D.C. has provided creative fodder to countless television shows over the years. Some, like "The West Wing" (1999-2006), offer an ideal version of government, with honorable politicians serving the public good.

• Op-Ed | The reasons I run

Many aspects of Tufts' student life have changed since I first arrived here in the fall of 2010. I can no longer study at the REZQuad Café behind Miller, and my freshmen from Tufts Wilderness Orientation can only imagine the spectacle that was NQR. Our president is different, our gym is different and how Lewis Hall was not featured in an episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" (2003-2012) surprises me to this day.

• Op-Ed | Why I run with Rojo

I met Robert Joseph the fall of my freshman year. In both senses of the word, Robert is one of the best friends I have ever had — we are very close, but he is also one of the most loyal, genuine people I have ever met. I ache at the thought of taking him to Dewick because I know he will run into 20 students.

• mtennis

Men's Tennis | Jumbos lose another player, fall to Bobcats

The men's tennis team was unable to overcome yet another blow to its roster, dropping its match against Bates last Tuesday 7-2. Earlier this month the team suffered a major loss when nationally-ranked sophomore Nik Telkedzhiev decided to quit; the adversity only continued for Tufts before its match, as it lost sophomore Rob Jacobson, who has played in the No.

• wtennis

Women's Tennis | Amherst hands Tufts second straight loss

The women's tennis team faced off against No. 4 Amherst, suffering its second straight 9-0 loss on Tuesday. Amherst is currently second in the conference with an overall record of 11-3, and is the only other team besides defending national champions Williams that is undefeated in the NESCAC.

• new commons

Dining Services to eliminate 'trick turning' next year

Tufts Dining Services, in an April 9 press release, announced several changes to the Premium Meal Plan for Fall 2014, including the elimination of the popular "trick turning." According to Director of Dining and Business Services Patti Klos, the changes will be focused on the Premium Meal Plan, commonly referred to as the "Unlimited Plan," which all freshmen are required to purchase.

• isis

One year later, iSIS receives mixed reviews from students, faculty

The creators of the Integrated Student Information System (iSIS), as well as the students and faculty who use it, have mixed views one year after its implementation.     The planning for iSIS, which launched in 2011, began several years ago with the intention to integrate student services across Tufts' campuses, according to the project's website.

• Editorial | Fixing the 'trick turning' glitch is sensible

The way students eat on campus is evolving, and we should embrace the change. After years of "trick turning," Tufts Dining will officially put an end to the glitch in the meal-swipe system that has allowed students on the Premium Meal Plan to go to Hodgdon after eating at either Carmichael or Dewick-MacPhie dining halls.

• The ethics of Gov. Chris Christie

In a recent public announcement, Randy Mastro, Gov. Chris Christie's hired attorney, said that the Governor was exonerated of any involvement in the George Washington Bridge scandal that occurred last September, in which lanes of the busiest commuter bridge in the United States were closed, thereby causing massive traffic congestion.

• womenstrack

Women's Track | Five Jumbos win events at UMass Lowell

A game that doesn't "count" for a team's standings can sometimes lead to sloppy and lackadaisical performances from athletes because the actual outcome doesn't matter.     But Saturday's unscored George Davis Invitational at UMass Lowell was quite the opposite.

• womenscrew

Men's and Women's Crew | Women's team upsets No. 3 Bates

The men's and women's crew teams were both in action over the weekend on the Malden River. Both teams raced twice; the men's team competed against Bates College and University of New Hampshire, while the women's team raced against Wellesley College and Bates College.

• Tufts hosts 'Be Green, Be Healthy' events

The Office of Sustainability (OOS) is celebrating Earth Month by partnering with numerous healthy and sustainable living groups and organizations over the course of the next two weeks to present a series of events called "Be Green, Be Healthy!" According to OOS Communications and Outreach Specialist Fannie Koa, this year's event will be held on three days — yesterday, this coming Wednesday and the following Wednesday at the Mayer Campus Center from 12 to 2 p.

• Security expert talks cyber warfare

Director of the Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence at the Brookings Institution Peter Singer spoke at The Fletcher School yesterday about the evolving threat of cyber warfare and how business and government leaders need to rethink their security strategies.

• Historic Union Square post office up for sale, causes local concern

The Union Square post office, located a few miles from Tufts, holds both cultural and historical significance to the Somerville community. Recently, the United States Postal Service (USPS) has decided to close the post office and put it on the market.

• Sam Gold | The Gold Standard

Bubba's advocacy for Olympic golf

Upon its inclusion in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, much of the sporting world was aghast. No matter the stakes, it does not appear to require the same mastery of nature or body as do the mainstays of the Olympics; swimming and gymnastics come to mind as foils.

• Softball | Tufts extends NESCAC East winning streak to 30 games

Strong pitching and timely hitting helped the softball team sweep its first two NESCAC East series of the year. Tufts defeated Trinity in a three-game set Friday and Saturday before downing Bowdoin in double-header action Sunday. Both series were played at home.

• TV Review | 'Turn' offers engaging new colonial spy drama

AMC's new drama "Turn" is a creative new take on the American Revolution and the heated conflicts — both on and off the battlefield — that defined it. Set in Long Island in 1776, the show focuses on one man, Abraham Woodhull (Jamie Bell), a poor farmer trying to keep his family afloat and to deal with the British soldiers whom he is forced to quarter in his home.

• Concert Review | Raunchy, exciting 'Bangerz' tour hits Boston

Miley Cyrus' "Bangerz" tour kicked off in Vancouver on Valentine's Day and, on April 2, Cyrus finally made her way down to TD Garden in Boston. The controversial singer's fourth tour has generally received praise and approval — and her Boston show certainly did not disappoint.

• Women's Lacrosse | Jumbos fall to undefeated Jeffs

The No. 17 women's lacrosse team traveled to western Massachusetts on Saturday, attempting to maintain its undefeated road record. Unfortunately, the awaiting team was undefeated No. 3 Amherst, which rode a strong second half to pull off a 15-9 win and maintain its spot atop the NESCAC.

• Men's Lacrosse | Jumbos net 25 in rout over Amherst

For the sixth time this year, the No. 9 men's lacrosse team netted 20 or more goals in a game. On Saturday at Bello Field against Amherst, the Jumbos eclipsed their previous season-high of 24 — which came in the first game of the season at Middlebury — and converted 25 goals to set the record for most goals scored by a Tufts team against a NESCAC opponent.

• Tufts strives to represent university values with commencement speakers

Each spring, members of the Tufts community eagerly await the announcement of the commencement speaker and Honorary Degree recipients — major selections that have come to reflect the university's culture and values. Since 1858, Tufts has sought to honor recipients who represent the ideals and beliefs of the school, and has also encouraged the community to voice its opinions throughout the selection process.

• jjk

$100k New Ventures Competition selects winners

The Tufts University Entrepreneurial Leadership Program on Tuesday announced the winners of its $100k New Ventures Competition. The competition, which celebrated its 10th anniversary this year, was divided into two categories, including the “classic track” consisting of businesses geared toward creating private value, and a “social track” consisting of businesses geared toward helping society, according to the competition website.

• Former Ambassador Swanee Hunt delivers guest lecture

Former U.S. Ambassador to Austria, Swanee Hunt, spoke with students and faculty yesterday about the evolving role of women in government decision making, particularly in those decisions involving conflict. Hunt, who is currently the Eleanor Roosevelt Lecturer in Public Policy at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, was introduced by Associate Professor of Political Science Richard Eichenberg and Dean of the Tisch College Alan Solomont.

• bread

'Not By Bread Alone' provides sensory delight

It is not often that a performance can successfully create a close rapport between the audience and the cast members, but this is exactly what "Not by Bread Alone," a live performance piece brought to Boston by ArtsEmerson and performed by members of the Nalaga'at Theater Ensemble, achieves.

• WMFO provides students with creative outlet for over 40 years

WMFO, Tufts University's radio station and one of the oldest college stations in the country, is run by both students and community volunteers. Radio broadcasts run 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and in recent years, student DJs have brought new energy to this long-running radio program.

• cohen

Op-Ed | Relaying for a change

"Why do you Relay?" You may be surprised at how infrequently we, the Co-Chairs of Tufts Relay For Life, are asked this question. We Relay because we know cancer too well. In fact, all of Tufts knows cancer far too well. Whether you have watched a loved one struggle against cancer or simply been moved by the story of an acquaintance battling this disease, cancer has affected all of our lives in one very real way or another.

• Op-Ed | Response to the last senate meeting

Many of us are aware that Tufts has a diverse international body on its campus. Over the last few months there has been debate over the creation of an International Community Representative in the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate that would address issues that many, if not all, of the international students on campus face.

• golf

Golf | Koh finishes first among 83 golfers at RIC Invitational

Sophomore Brendan Koh earned medalist honors at the Rhode Island College Spring Invitational this past weekend, playing at the par-72 Valley Country Club with a two-day score of 154. Koh, who shot a 79 on the first day and a 75 on the second, finished 10-over-par to beat out 82 other golfers and  claim the title honors.

• Coed Sailing | Jumbos qualify for Nationals for first time since 2010

Coming off a strong second-place finish at the Marchiando Team Race, the coed sailing team entered the New England Team Racing regatta with a concrete goal: to qualify for the Intercollegiate Sailing Association (ICSA) Team Racing National Championship.

• disappear

'Resurrection' drowns potential in feel-good emotion

It's a novel television premise: there are no ghosts, no spells, no eerie fingerprints of the paranormal. Instead, "Resurrection," ABC's new mystery-drama, forgoes conventional back-from-the-dead options, to center on an innocent little boy. Whether this decision is the right one, though, will depend on the length of time it takes for audiences to tire of pulled heartstrings and teary eyes over raw suspense.

• snappy

Davis Square's Snappy Ramen finds its groove

Originally known as Snappy Sushi, one of Davis Square's claims to Japanese cuisine revamped their menu and blossomed into a new restaurant: Snappy Ramen. Located on 420 Highland Street, Snappy Ramen is practically unavoidable for anybody who has either walked farther than the Joey stop in Davis Square or frequented the Bank of America not twenty yards away from the establishment.

• Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor,   This is a liberal arts university. We're supposed to be giving students the opportunity to expand their learning, try new things and become active, well-rounded citizens in our globalized and high-tech world. For Tufts University to shut students out of the Computer Science department due to lack of resources well, that bites.

• Women's Tennis | Tufts scores first two conference wins

The 18th-ranked women's tennis team has begun to hit its stride after losing four of its first five matches this spring. A non-conference win against Wellesley on April 1 warmed the team up for two key NESCAC matchups this past Friday and Sunday. Following an easy 9-0 win at home against Colby on Friday, Tufts travelled to Clinton, N.

• Baseball | Jumbos stave off late inning rally, sink Buccaneers

Despite being outhit 10-9, and allowing four runs in the eighth, the baseball team continued its torrid early-season start, beating Mass. Maritime 12-7 on Monday. The win was the team's ninth straight, moving the Jumbos' overall record to 17-1.  The first inning of play, in which the Jumbos scored seven runs on only two hits, was a microcosm of the game as a whole.

• Former Congresswoman speaks on national security

Former Congresswoman Jane Harman and Admiral James Stavridis, dean of The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, spoke about success and failure during their careers at yesterday's open house for recently admitted Fletcher students. Harman, who is now the president of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, served nearly 20 years in the House of Representatives and sat on several important committees, including on homeland security, intelligence and armed services.

• Sam Gold | The Gold Standard

The Kings of Rotation Roulette

The NBA draft is usually one of the following: a bane, a boon, a swing and a miss, a setback — or the pipeline by which the San Antonio Spurs cobble together a perennial contender with unknown role players. Usually.  For the Sacramento Kings, it is an chance to get fresh talent for their stupefying and potentially inadvertent game of rotation roulette.

• Movie Review | 'Captain America' is thrilling spectacle

Of all the heroes assembled in 2012's wildly successful "The Avengers," it's easy to perceive the straight-laced Captain America (Chris Evans) as the least interesting of the crew, especially when compared to teammates like a billionaire armored playboy and a raging green monster.

• Album Review | Cloud Nothings delights with fourth album

To those of us who listen to the radio and not much else, it can seem like there hasn't been anything resembling lo-fi indie rock on the top charts in years. With a slew of hip-hop, R&B and electronic tracks monopolizing airtime, it's easy to forget that there are rock bands out there.

• TV Review | 'Portlandia' is far from over

There are few comedy shows that showcase as small a small niche as "Portlandia" (2011-present), and even fewer that satisfy the comedic desires of such a particular target audience. The humor does not just revolve around lampooning hipster stereotypes,  but is specifically focused on the hipster stereotypes of one particular city — but then again, that's something Portland, Ore.

• Kevin Criscione | Ill Literates

Boring books

At what point, when reading, should you just give up? This is possibly one of the most important questions   we face as readers in the digital age, when time is scarce and our collective reserves of attention are even scarcer. If you're one of those who would like to pretend that this question doesn't occur to you often, quit the act.

• Jordan Bean | Sacked

Drop the act

There's an interesting dynamic that goes on in sports: We condemn the cheaters and criminals ... unless they're on our team. We blame the athlete for retaliating when, in fact, the fan is the clear instigator. In the most recent example of this hypocrisy, Milwaukee Brewers fans welcomed back Ryan Braun with a standing ovation.

• Men's Lacrosse | Tufts follows up second loss with resounding win

Ten Jumbos scored at least one goal as the No. 6 men's lacrosse team rolled to a definitive 18-3 win over the Hamilton Continentals in Clinton, N.Y. on Saturday. Coming off of its first NESCAC loss of the season to Williams on April 1, Tufts returned to form, outshooting Hamilton 52-26.

• Women's Lacrosse | Tufts wins nail-biter over Hamilton

There was no room for deception or strategy; just one lacrosse player whose job was to score, and another player whose job was to prevent that from happening.  With 2.2 seconds left in the game, Hamilton junior midfielder Ashleigh Stephan stared down Tufts junior goalie Rachel Gallimore on a free-position shot to determine whether the game would go to overtime or end with a Tufts victory.

• Softball | Tufts drops doubleheader to Williams

Tufts' softball team lost consecutive games for the first time this season, dropping both games of a home doubleheader to Williams on Saturday. The No. 1 Jumbos had lost only once in their previous 15 games before being upset twice by their NESCAC rivals.

• ljhkjh

‘It Happens Here’ offers new forum for conversation about sexual violence

Last fall, University President Anthony Monaco named sexual assault as one the most important issues on campus, and created a university-wide sexual assault task force to address and prevent sexual misconduct at Tufts. Currently, the university is in the process of hiring a Sexual Misconduct Prevention Specialist, who will work to develop sexual assault prevention programming.

• lkjlk

Childish Gambino to headline Spring Fling

Hip-hop artist Donald Glover, commonly known by stage name Childish Gambino, will headline this year’s Spring Fling concert on April 26, Concert Board co-chairs Emily Schacter and Mark Bernado announced at Battle of The Bands last night.  The New Pornographers, an indie rock band, and electronic dance DJ’s Flosstradamus will open for Childish Gambino.

• jllk

UEP hosts visionary planning conference with Canadian officials

Tufts Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning (UEP) last Friday hosted a conference on the future of city planning in Quebec and New England. The conference, “Planning for the Possible,” was funded by the Government of Quebec and the Government of Canada, according to UEP Associate Professor Justin Hollander.

• kjh

Tufts Bikes adds 12 new bikes to bike-share program

Tufts Bikes last week added 12 new bicycles to its school bike-share program, bringing the total number of bikes in the program to 30.  According to Tufts Bikes President Benjamin Hoffman, the gradual deterioration of the original bicycles necessitated their replacement.

• Autism Speaks, 123 raise awareness for disorder

As part of World Autism Awareness Day, the Tufts’ chapter of Autism Speaks and the brothers of the Theta Delta Chi (123) fraternity worked together to raise autism awareness on campus yesterday.     World Autism Awareness Day, organized through a partnership betweem Autism Speaks, a national autism advocacy organization, and Theta Delta Chi’s national organization, aims to raise awareness about autism’s prevalence and diagnoses, according to Tufts Autism Speaks chapter fundraising chair Danielle Feerst.

• Artsy Nugget | Colbert addresses #CancelColbert with trademark satire

Earlier this week, Stephen Colbert responded to the outrage that erupted after an out-of-context quote from his program was tweeted from Viacom’s promotional Twitter account for “The Colbert Report” (2005-present). Using his trademark irony to mock his critics and distance himself from the tweet, which Colbert asserted was not approved by him, the host presented himself as in control of an issue blown out of proportion by blogs and broadcast news.

• rick

TV Review | ‘Rick and Morty’ characterized by postmodernism

Once upon a time in the 1980s, there existed two well-loved characters — a wacky scientist and his heartthrob teenage sidekick — who starred in a trilogy of blockbuster movies involving time travel, high-school drama and hover boards. 1 comment

• Top Ten | Things found in every Wes Anderson movie

Wes Anderson’s most recent release, “The Grand Budapest Hotel” has been lauded as his masterpiece, so, naturally, he is more topical and hip than ever. But what makes a Wes Anderson movie so great? With this question in mind, the Daily Arts Department proudly presents: “One Gazette’s Quintessential Bulletin of Wesley Wales Anderson,” narrated by Alec Baldwin.

• Editorial | McCutcheon decision devastates campaign finance law

The United States Supreme Court yesterday chipped away further at campaign finance regulations and solidified its stance that political donations are equivalent to political speech, allowing individuals to donate more money to candidates and parties in an election cycle.

• wtennis

Women's Tennis | Tufts splits games against Bowdoin, Wellesley

The No. 18 women’s tennis team recovered from a 7-2 weekend loss to No. 7-conference-foe Bowdoin, topping local-rival Wellesley, 6-3, on Tuesday afternoon. The Jumbos move to 0-1 in the conference and 4-5 overall (2-4 in spring play).

• sailing

Co-Ed Sailing | Jumbos finish second at Marchiando Team Race

The co-ed sailing team continued its spring campaign over the weekend at the 33rd Annual Marchiando Team Race at MIT. The team came in second place out of sixteen, marking a great start to a promising season. The No. 11 Jumbos, with a record of 16-6, finished behind the No.

• mtennis

Men's Tennis | Jumbos end weekend on high note

The men’s tennis team shook off a 9-0 loss to No. 4 Amherst to cruise past Wesleyan with an 8-1 win over the weekend, playing both matches at home.     After losing to Trinity over spring break and to Amherst on Saturday, Tufts came into its Sunday match against NESCAC-rival Wesleyan in desperate need of a win, as the team hoped to avoid an underwhelming 0-3 start in conference play.

• TIE releases research through storytelling

The Tufts Institute of the Environment (TIE) released the first installment of a new environmental storytelling initiative last week, entitled “Chixoy: The Story of a Dam”.  The project uses a fictitious personal blog to highlight the research of former TIE Fellow Noah Cohen-Cline (F ‘13), which looks at the impact of Guatemala’s largest hydroelectric power dam on indigenous communities, according to the initiative’s website.

• Wilson House to be transfer dorm

Wilson House will be home to transfer students for the 2014-2015 school year, according to Director of the Office of Residential Life and Learning Yolanda King. King explained that the university several years ago housed about 10 female transfer students in 92 Professors Row — today the home of Sigma Phi Epsilon —- but since that time has not had a dedicated home for transfers.

• Editorial | Jumbos should keep an eye on local politics

Massachusetts State Representative Carl Sciortino, who represents the 34th Middlesex District, including parts of Medford and Somerville, announced that he is resigning, effective Friday, April 4, to become the executive director of the AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts.

• bailou

Op-Ed | A sad, but necessary farewell to Asian Studies

Tufts has a well-deserved reputation for its global outlook. While there is a flourishing interest in Asian history, cultures, languages and literature at Tufts, and we have increased both the number of Asian-related courses and faculty in these disciplines over the last 30 years, very few students actually major or minor in Asian studies.

• Op-Ed | We’re here because its happens here

Observed in April, Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) is an annual campaign designated to raise awareness about sexual assault and rape, and educate on how to prevent sexual violence. The 2014 SAAM campaign is particularly relevant to our campus, specifically because it focuses on healthy sexuality and young people.

• Kevin Criscione | Ill Literates

Panel by panel

As I’ve mentioned before in this column, I disdain those privileged, pretentious or otherwise old-school notions of what it means to be literary. If a book makes you feel and imagine in startlingly new ways, what does it matter if it isn’t considered serious literature? What does serious literature even refer to, anyways? When I think of the words “serious literature,” I envision, at a party of different books, that one grumpy book off in the corner who goes out of his way to make every conversation he enters about his own pessimistic opinions.

• Jordan Bean | Sacked

Paying the price

In a monumental victory for the student-athletes of Northwestern, a judge ruled in favor of their status as employees of the university, giving them the right to unionize if they so choose. While the players’ intentions are admirable, this would be an unequivocal mistake on their part.

• mens lax

Men's Lacrosse | Early offense sets pace for Jumbos’ fourth NESCAC win

By the time senior quad-captain midfielder Thomas Woessner scored Conn. College’s first goal of the game with 3:17 remaining in the first quarter, the Tufts men’s lacrosse team had already tallied eight unanswered goals. The Jumbos never looked back after their explosive offensive start, downing the Camels with a 21-13 victory at Bello Field on Saturday to continue their undefeated streak in conference play.

• womens' lax

Women's Lacrosse | Jumbos stay undefeated on road

The No. 19 women’s lacrosse team survived a scare in New London, Conn., on Saturday with an 11-9 victory over conference rival Conn. College. The win brings the team’s record to 5-3 overall and 2-2 in the NESCAC, keeping it undefeated in four road games.

• jgfhjk

Film adaptation of ‘Need for Speed’ video-game franchise tame, uninspired

The bridge between video games and films is a tough one to cross. There have been few successful attempts to adapt the fun of a video game into the complete storyline of a movie with (both figurative and literal) three-dimensional characters and “Need for Speed” is no exception.

• jkl

Administration answers question on new initiatives during town hall event

University President Anthony Monaco, Provost David Harris and Executive Vice President Patricia Campbell held a town hall-style event yesterday in which they discussed the university’s strategic planning process and answered questions on academic and other initiatives.

• Dean of Arts and Sciences to become Trinity College president

Dean of Arts and Sciences Joanne Berger-Sweeney will step down on June 30 to become the president of Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. A graduate and former associate dean of Wellesley College, Berger-Sweeney began her current role at Tufts in 2010.

• hjkh

Duke professor explores social preferences

Duke University Professor of Economics Rachel Kranton spoke yesterday about the ways in which people act on their self-interests in group contexts when making economic decisions.        During her lecture, which was part of the Tufts Department of Economics’ Wellington Burnham Lecture Series, Kranton addressed a recent psychological experiment conducted by Duke’s Center for Cognitive Neuroscience.

• Somerville Mayor discusses Powder House School development

Over 50 Somerville, Mass., residents, neighbors and elected officials gathered at a community meeting yesterday to discuss the ongoing redevelopment process of the vacant Powder House Community School.

• Somerville considers Curbside Compost Initiative

The City of Somerville recently created a new task force to review options for the development of a Curbside Composting Initiative.     The idea was announced Feb. 25 by Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone and will be co-chaired by Ward 6 Alderman Rebekah Gewirtz, who is the vice chairperson of the Board of Alderman’s Committee on Energy and Environment.

• Movie Review | ‘Veronica Mars’ fans rewarded for patience, loyalty

Seven years after the cancellation of the short-lived, beloved cult show “Veronica Mars” (2004-2007) and a year after 90,000 fans donated $5.7 million in a groundbreaking Kickstarter campaign to fund a film version, “Veronica Mars” hit select theaters earlier this month.

• Michael Maggiore opens up about his budding career as ‘CheddaSK’

Tufts senior dives into hip-hop with new CD

Thinking of Tufts’ music scene will typically bring to mind images of casual alt-rock bands, guitarists or the occasional party DJ. Most other genres, though present, may seem underrepresented on a campus in which few students aim to pursue their art as a full-time career.

• Op-Ed | Critics of SJP ignore crucial facts

Just when you thought it was over, here’s a new opinion on Israeli Apartheid Week (IAW). I, too, came back from spring break expecting the discussion to have dissipated, only to find yet another criticism of Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) in the op-ed section of the Daily.

• Women’s Tennis | Tufts starts spring season with tough week in California

Finishing its spring break trip to California against No. 5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, the No. 18 women’s tennis team failed to end its first week of the spring season on a high note.     Tufts started the team match slowly, losing three doubles matches by large deficits, 8-1, 8-1 and 8-0.

• Inside MLB | MLB season preview: Nationals title favorites

Believe it or not, it’s already the end of March and baseball’s opening day is right around the corner. As spring training winds down, teams are finishing their final exhibition matchups, and making final roster decisions before heading up North in anticipation of March 30.

• Jessica Wilson to receive Wendell Phillips Memorial Scholarship

The Committee on Student Life (CSL) recently selected senior Jessica Wilson as the recipient of this year’s Wendell Phillips Memorial Scholarship.     The annual award recognizes one junior or senior who will be the only student speaker at the Baccalaureate ceremony during commencement in May, CSL student co-chair Haydn Forrest told the Daily in an email.

• Movie Review | ‘The Lunchbox’ offers poignant food for thought

Food has been a cross-cultural symbol of togetherness since, at least, the time of the first Chinese New Year or the Last Supper. Many may recall the old cliché that the fastest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Ritesh Batra’s “The Lunchbox” breathes new life into this concept with its intriguing love story, emphasizing the bonding power of food amid a life of isolation and the importance of second chances.

• Restaurant Review | Istanbul’lu offers quality food, fine dining experience

Teele Square’s Istanbul’lu is by now a familiar sight to many Tufts students, whether they realize it or not. Joey riders pass the Turkish restaurant on the drive returning from Davis Square, but as eyes glaze over and the shuttle bus moves by the cluster of eateries that line the small intersection, how many wonder what lies behind the sunny yellow storefront and unassuming black door? The familiarity of the image puts passersby at risk of overlooking this small, but colorful local gem.

• Op-Ed | To end the occupation, empower the left

The occupation must end. After spending five days in the West Bank this winter break and seeing it first hand, it is brutally clear to me that the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land is illegal, unjust and inhumane. I’ve opposed the occupation theoretically and intellectually for a while now.

• Editorial | Tufts should make statement regarding Saakashvili

The Fletcher School’s Senior Statesman Mikhail Saakashvili has been ordered to present himself at the Prosecutor’s Office in Tbilisi on Thursday by Georgian prosecutors. If he fails to do so, he will become an internationally wanted person. 2 comments

• Baseball | Jumbos go 11-1 on spring break trip

Team scores 94 runs over spring break

The baseball team had its most successful spring break trip of the 21st century from March 14-23, going 11-1 over a jam-packed slate in Virginia and North Carolina. The Jumbos have not posted that high a winning percentage (.917) in their annual season-opening stint since at least 2000.

• Men's Tennis | Tufts men’s tennis starts season strong over break

The men’s tennis team traveled to southern California for its spring break training, where it competed against five top-tier teams, beating three of them. The Jumbos began the season with a renewed confidence, mostly due to the team’s hard work in the off-season between the fall and spring.

• Tufts withdraws from redevelopment of Powder House Community School

The City of Somerville in a March 20 press release announced that it had ended negotiations with Tufts on the redevelopment of the former Powder House Community School. The university’s redevelopment proposal was selected by the city last September, and Tufts had entered into an Exclusive Negotiating Agreement with the city.

• Community health program hosts forum

Justin Rheingold

A group of students and faculty members from the Community Health Program hosted an informal forum to discuss the state of the major. Community Health Program Director Jennifer Allen explained that she recently began her position and convened the meeting to discuss students concerns on the program’s health amid the loss of several key professors.

• Movie Review | ‘Divergent’ does book justice with focused plot, strong cast

Dystopian young adult novels have risen in popularity among teenagers and adults alike. The genre depicts future worlds with flawed governments and complex characters. Film studios have begun to transition these novels onto the big screen, but, for devout fans, the movie’s quality often does not equal that of the book. 1 comment

• Interview: Maggie Q and Mekhi Phifer | ‘Divergent’ stars discuss preparing for their roles

Although Mekhi Phifer and Maggie Q are best known for their performances in TV series, the actresses can be seen on the big screen this month. Both star in the new film “Divergent,” based on the first book in Veronica Roth’s best-selling trilogy. Phifer, who has had roles on “ER” (1994-2009), “Lie to Me” (2009-2011) and “Torchwood” (2006-2011), and Q, of “Nikita” (2010-2013) fame, play, respectively, Max and Tori, members of the Dauntless faction in the dystopian film.

• Editorial | Tufts Dental program highlights active citizenship

Tufts Dental School is raising the bar by making active citizenship and public service a core component of its student experience. The school’s new Global Service Learning Initiative, which works to make international service opportunities for students more accessible and sustainable, speaks volumes to how Tufts prioritizes community service across its many schools.

• mswimming

Men's Swimming and Diving | Jumbos shine at Nationals

Four members of the men’s swimming and diving team competed at the NCAA Div. III Championships in Indianapolis, Ind., last week. The quartet performed exceptionally, scoring 50 points to place 19th at the national meet — Tufts’ highest finish since 2010.

• Men's Track and Field | Five Jumbos earn All-American honors at Nationals

After a long cross-country trip, a small contingent from the men’s track and field team arrived in Lincoln, Neb. on March 13 to compete in the Div. III National Championships. The next day — Friday, March 14 — marked the first of two days of competition, which saw the Jumbos get out to a fast and successful start.

• TAG

TAG invites genocide survivors to campus, collaborates with local community

Tufts Against Genocide (TAG) is working to expand awareness and initiate discussion on campus about genocide in both its historical and present-day contexts. This Wednesday, TAG will host its annual Survivors Speak event, where survivors of the Holocaust and the genocides in Darfur, Cambodia, Rwanda and Bosnia will visit Tufts to share their stories and discuss ways to prevent future violence.

• Lex Erath | Sugar & Spice

Spring broken

Happy Monday, everyone, and welcome back to campus. I’m just as thrilled to see all of you as you are to be here, which is to say, not at all. The Monday before break I went on a bit about my distaste for Daylight Saving Time, but promised you a more sugary column celebrating my amazing spring break upon my return.

• Movie Review | Wes Anderson delivers a masterpiece with ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’

“The Grand Budapest Hotel” is more than just a movie; it is a full-bodied experience that immerses its viewers in an unfamiliar, exciting world. The film certainly lives up to many of the expectations requisite of a Wes Anderson film: quirky characters full of idiosyncrasies and insecurities, novel-like levels of storytelling and an immaculate eye for the smallest details.

• Spring TV season sees return of fan favorites

Winter has finally ended (or so it seems), and that can mean only one thing: spring is here. While April and May are generally known for plot twist-filled season finales and crazy cliffhangers, there are several shows premiering in the next few weeks.

• Concert Review | Snarky Puppy wows at Berklee Performance Center

Don’t let their name fool you — the band Snarky Puppy is no joke. In fact, the only funny thing about Snarky Puppy’s March 14 concert at the Berklee Performance Center was the expression on band-leader and bassist Michael League’s face when his band did something genius — which meant that this astonished, elated countenance was present during just about every moment of the show.

• Natalie Girshman | Love on Screen

“Abduct- ion is Love”

Our next love trope is both particularly unrealistic and particularly disturbing. Known as “Abduction is Love” on the Internet, it could also go by the name “Stockholm Syndrome.” Kidnap your soul mate, have a lot of objects and insults thrown at you, be incredibly sorry about the fact that you had to kidnap them, eventually win them over with your library or a less impressive form of chivalry and voilà! It’s happily ever after (except for the six months it took to get there).

• wbball

Women's Basketball | Tufts bows out of tournament in Final Four

NESCAC Champions. Liz Moynihan’s shot. A Final Four berth. A season filled with highlights and accomplishments came to an end on Saturday, when the women’s basketball team fell in the semi-finals of the NCAA Div. III Championship to eventual national champions Farleigh Dickinson-Florham University (FDU-Florham), 42-39.

• wlax

Women's Lacrosse | Jumbos take two of three over spring break

The No. 18 women’s lacrosse team came into spring break as a surprising upstart. But just a week later, the Jumbos now find themselves battle-tested and amongst the top-20 teams in the nation.  On Mar. 15, Tufts opened the academic break with a 16-14 upset over No.

• mlax

Men's Lacrosse | Jumbos stay perfect in NESCAC over break

Last year, in the men’s lacrosse team’s 2013 campaign, the Jumbos pulled out a late fourth-quarter win over No. 2 Stevenson University to hand the Mustangs their first loss of the year on Mar. 19.  This year, No. 5 Stevenson returned the favor on Mar.

• Jordan Bean | Sacked

Creating an experience

During spring break, I had the fortune of attending a European League soccer match between Benefica of Portugal and Tottenham of England. While, to me, the game itself ended in a disappointing 2-2 draw, the outcome wasn't what entertained me most. The joy started when I stepped onto the metro to go to the match and a sea of red engulfed me.

• adg

ABC Family teen drama ‘Pretty Little Liars’ strains credulity

“Pretty Little Liars” was never going to be a critical darling; it was never going to win Emmys or Golden Globes. It was the kind of show that, since its premiere in 2010, had been nothing more than a guilty pleasure, a teen drama -- the kind of show destined to take home surfboard after surfboard at the Teen Choice Awards.

• kljlj

Despite progress for club sports, funds remain insufficient

Over the past few years, Tufts’ club sports has expanded to include more teams and, consequently, more students. As the program has grown, however, the process of managing and financing club sports has become increasingly complex. Three years ago marked the beginning of the expansion of the program, according to Assistant Director of Athletics Branwen Smith-King.

• lkjjl

Anne-Marie Slaughter to deliver commencement address

Anne-Marie Slaughter, a leader in public policy and international affairs who in 2012 incited national debate on gender equality, will deliver this year’s commencement address on May 18, according to a press release from Director of Public Relations Kim Thurler and Assistant Director Katie Cinnamond Benoit.

• jkl

Alpha Phi raises more than $13,000 through philanthropy event

Alpha Phi sorority raised more than $13,000 for women’s heart health at its annual Bid Your Heart Out auction on Feb. 28.  Alpha Phi External Philanthropy Chair and event co-organizer Martha Meguerian said that nearly 400 people turned out for the event, which benefited the Alpha Phi Foundation.

• Associate Provost Mary Lee to leave Tufts after 27 years

After 27 years of service, former Associate Provost and Professor of Medicine Mary Lee will leave Tufts this fall to assume the prestigious six-month Kimitaka Kaga Visiting Professorship at the University of Tokyo’s Graduate School of Medicine. A formal farewell reception for Lee, who stepped down from her position as associate provost on Jan.

• Tisch College dean receives service award

Dean of the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service Alan Solomont (A ’70) during a Feb. 21 Pentagon ceremony received the Distinguished Public Service Award, the highest civilian honor awarded by the United States Navy.  Solomont was presented with the award by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, who had first notified Solomont last summer that he was to be honored when he returned to the country after serving as a U.

• Student protest encourages Wendy’s to sign Fair Food Agreement

A group of 10 Tufts students traveled to Columbus, Ohio, last weekend to protest the fact that Wendy’s has refused to sign the Fair Food Agreement. According to junior Diane Adamson, one of the Tufts organizers, the event was part of a larger campaign by the Coalition of Immokalee Workers and its affiliate group, the Student/Farmworker Alliance (SFA).

• JumBonnaroo performances raise funds for Relay for Life

Relay for Life raised $4,838 last weekend during JumBonnaroo, an event that spanned Thursday through Saturday nights and incorporated six fraternities. Two fraternities hosted ticketed parties each night with musical performances by Tufts students, which created a music festival-type atmosphere, according to Special Events Co-Chair for Relay for Life at Tufts Benjamin Silver.

• Weekender | Tufts alumnus releases new book ‘What’s Important Is Feeling’

Wilson talks bad sex, writing and black humor

Adam Wilson (LA ’04) has garnered enough critical acclaim and literary merit over the past two years to turn more than a few heads.  A regular contributor to The Paris Review and a finalist for the National Jewish Book award, he has had work published in Tin House, Meridian and “The Best American Short Stories 2012” — to name only some of his many accolades.

• Interview | Aaron Paul

Aaron Paul discusses making ‘Need for Speed’

Following critical praise for his complex portrayal of Jesse Pinkman on the acclaimed TV series “Breaking Bad” (2008-2013), Aaron Paul now has his first major lead with the upcoming film “Need for Speed.” The Daily recently participated in a roundtable interview with Paul, in which he discussed the pressure that comes with headlining a movie, classic car films and what the future may bring.

• Top Ten | Artsy things to do this spring break

Believe it or not, spring break is once again upon us. Ah, spring break: the only time of year that Florida isn’t the worst state of all time. Though some of us will stay local and endure the overcast skies and chilly air of Medford and Somerville, many will head to tropical locales to enjoy the sun and surf.

• Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor, In light of the many recent articles, comments and demonstrations regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, I have found myself somewhat disenchanted by the proponent groups of both sides. Don’t get me wrong, I believe it is entirely justified and powerful to write, speak and demonstrate, so long as it is done in a respectful, open-minded manner. 1 comment

• Op-Ed | I’m an English major who might be the assistant director of marketing

There’s a myth out there that a degree in the humanities is a ticket to post-graduation employment behind a fast-food counter. As shown in a Tufts Daily article published last week, we’ve begun cultivating another myth that humanities and English majors in particular are only eligible to become journalists, teachers or publishers.

• Softball | Jumbos moving forward from last year’s championship

Softball sets sights on another national title

On the heels of a 46-3 season capped by its first-ever NCAA National Championship, the softball team was unanimously voted No. 1 in the 2014 National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association Div. III preseason rankings. While the Jumbos are glad to be in the spotlight again, they know they will be judged by their performance on the field this season.

• Womens Tennis | Young team to take on West Coast competition next week

After an offseason full of hard work, team building and rehabilitation, the women’s tennis team, ranked No. 18 in Div. III, is ready to kick off the spring season in California next week. Tufts will compete against three nationally-ranked teams on their trip to the West Coast, including Claremont Mudd Scrips, the No.

• Dani Bennett | Scenes From Spain

T is for tourism

What is it about the word “tourism” that makes so many of us cringe?  Why do some visitors shy away from doing the more traditional activities because they are afraid of being a fanny pack-wearing tourist? Yesterday, I went to a flamenco show and, at first, felt odd.

• Editorial | Individual Student Fund is a step toward full student-body inclusion

One of the integral components of being a Jumbo is joining one of the hundreds of clubs and activities offered at the university. From the Tap Ensemble to Shir Appeal, participating in a school organization allows students to involve themselves into the Tufts community in a productive way.

• Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor, The March 3 op-ed, “Palestine is about America” stated, “Lobbies like the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and the only superficially more progressive J-Street continue to strong-arm congressmen and presidents alike to swear their allegiance to Israel and hound those who dare voice even tepid dissent, such as Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel.

• Op-Ed | An oasis of diversity in the Middle East

My pharmacist is an Arab. My taxi driver is Uzbeki. I live with a Russian woman. The girl in the coffee shop is chatting away in French. That M-16-clad soldier in the olive uniform over there is a Bedouin. My friend’s mom is Moroccan, and her father is Japanese. 2 comments

• Carolina Reyes | Senior Thoughts

Let’s talk tuition

The Daily yesterday reported Tufts’ announcement to raise tuition and fees by nearly four percent to $61,000 for next semester, meaning that Tufts will be the second most expensive college in Massachusetts.    The 2013-2023 Tufts Strategic plan states “Tufts, like almost every other elite college and university in the country, has published costs of attendance for its undergraduate and graduate programs that exceed the annual income of most U.

• womens bball

Women's Basketball | The shot: Jumbos relive Moynihan’s miraculous buzzer-beater

Breaking down the play that sent Tufts to the Sweet 16

Duke has Christian Laettner. North Carolina State has Lorenzo Charles.  Tufts has Liz Moynihan. The senior tri-captain hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in overtime against the University of New England on Saturday. Advancing the Jumbos to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Div.

• womens squash

Women's Squash | Jumbos show improvement on, off court

The women’s squash team entered the 2014 spring campaign with high hopes after a promising fall season. Although the team secured solid wins in the NESCAC, it was unable to achieve its larger goals, as it failed to win its division at the College Squash Association (CSA) Team Championships.

• Men's Squash | Team shows improvement in second half of season

At the end of the fall season, the men’s squash team eagerly awaited the return of two key players: Juniors Hugo Meggitt and Zachary Schweitzer. Both studied abroad in their fall semesters, leaving the Jumbos without two of their top players as they played a fall schedule that resulted in a single win.

• Tyler Maher | Beantown Beat

Boston’s dynamic duo

The 2014 Red Sox is generally an old team. With a few key exceptions, most of their players are in their 30s. But a veteran-heavy roster doesn’t mean one that lacks exciting young talent. For example, Jackie Bradley, Jr., who is 23-years-old, is ready to take over as centerfielder — and put last season’s false start behind him.

• jkh

‘Love Letters’ is forward motion for Metronomy

Known for their lo-fi electronic jams and avant-garde fashion sensibilities, Metronomy, an English band hailing from Devon, recently released their fourth studio album, “Love Letters.” Coming off of the intense critical and commercial success of their third album, 2011’s “The English Riviera,” “Love Letters” is highly anticipated production.

• jkllh

‘Workaholics’ holds onto humor in fourth season

It is rare that a program juvenile enough to elicit headshaking and embarrassing enough to make viewers cringe — a program that is lazy to a blatantly noticeable degree — can continue to entertain over the many years it has been on the air. Straddling a dangerous zone between all of these categories, “Workaholics” keeps delivering surprisingly consistent entertainment value and true heart.

• uio

Pharrell brings unique touch to fun, upbeat album

Although Pharrell Williams only just blew up on the pop scene in 2013, he is a music industry veteran. He has been leaving his musical mark for many years now, as both a singer and a producer. Blending elements of soul, funk and hip-hop into his vocal and instrumental productions, Pharrell has consistently kept pop sounding fresh and innovative.

• jl

International Club hosts annual Parade of Nations

Tufts International Club hosted a well-attended Parade of Nations this weekend in Cohen Auditorium, according to club president Jaime Sanchez. “The International Club has had a steady growth the past year and is very strong compared to past years,” Sanchez, a junior, told the Daily in an email.

• jk

Senate, volleyball teams working to add beach volleyball court

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate at its Feb. 16 meeting passed a resolution calling for the establishment of an outdoor volleyball court. Freshman Isabella Kahhale, a member of the TCU Senate, explained that the resolution stemmed from a desire to allow a larger part of the Tufts community to participate in the sport.

• Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor, As someone who has an admittedly small stake in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and who often comes down on the Israeli side of issues, I’d like to commend the student group that organized last Wednesday’s event on the steps of the campus center.

• Op-Ed | What’s so very wrong with ‘Israeli Apartheid Week’

I think I first heard the phrase “Israeli Apartheid” when I was a sophomore here at Tufts. It wasn’t something I had ever heard before, and I’ll admit that I was taken aback. That’s an understatement: I was repulsed. Comparing the struggle of Israelis and Palestinians over ancient lands and modern dreams was, to my mind, nothing like the blatant denial of human dignity to which South Africa subjected a subset of its own population on the basis of skin color. 3 comments

• lax

Men's Lacrosse | Late charge boosts Jumbos past Owls

With just over a minute remaining in the second period of the No. 4 men’s lacrosse team’s away game at Keene State College on Saturday, Tufts led by six goals. They had dominated the second quarter and looked comfortably in the lead. By the end of the third quarter, the Owls had blanked the Jumbos for 15 straight minutes, while scoring nine goals to take a 13-10 lead.

• wlax

Women's Lacrosse | Tufts dominant in win over Eastern Connecticut State

Four days removed from its first victory of the season, the women’s lacrosse team went on the road and blew out Eastern Connecticut State to bring its overall record to 2-1. The 18-3 victory gives Tufts a two-game winning streak after opening its season with a loss against conference foe No.

• women

Professor examines gay rights politics in Nicaragua

Professor Cymene Howe from the Department of Anthropology at Rice University delivered a lecture yesterday on the politics of sexual rights in Nicaragua in anticipation of International Women’s Day. Interim Program Director of the Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program Sonia Hofkosh opened the presentation with a short history of the worldwide holiday, which will take place tomorrow.

• Tufts Podcast Network focuses on storytelling through audio

Combining innovative technology with the tradition of oral storytelling, Tufts Podcast Network (TPN), a relatively new student group that creates audio broadcasts, has a simple mission: to bring people together through the sharing of thoughts and stories about the human experience.

• Theatre Review | Multimedia theater production defies genre, medium

“You may look, but do not touch,” says the dapper man at the door before taking a sip of his drink and ushering a group of audience members into the OBERON — a theater and nightclub within the American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.). From this point onward in “AcousticaElectronica,” no matter how close one gets to the performers, no matter how touchy-feely they are with the audience, there is an inescapable sense that everything is happening at a distance.

• Inside Horse Racing | Macho Man, Take Charge head field at Big ‘Cap

After just a nose separated first- and second-place finishers Mucho Macho Man and Will Take Charge in the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic on Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., the two horses are geared up for an exhilarating rematch this Saturday in the Santa Anita Handicap.

• Nine Tufts students arrested at D.C. protest

Nine Tufts students were arrested alongside 389 others in Washington, D.C., on Sunday as they protested the Keystone XL pipeline, which the Obama administration may approve for construction.  No charges were filed against the students, according to junior Evan Bell, one of the protest coordinators.

• Tufts ranks high for producing Peace Corps volunteers

Tufts University ranked ninth among top medium-sized schools that produce Peace Corps volunteers, up from 15th in 2013. Twenty-four of Tufts’ undergraduate alumni are currently serving abroad with the program.  Many students and officials have attributed the high number of Tufts volunteers to the focus on service work that is embedded in the university’s values.

• Editorial | SAT changes are important initial step

Yesterday, the College Board, the non-profit organization that administers the SAT Reasoning Test to over one million college-bound high schoolers each year, announced a dramatic overhaul of the test’s content, scoring and format. The overhaul represents a responsible step by the College Board to both make the test more accessible and to refocus its content and scoring on skills that translate more directly to academic success.

• Artsy Nugget | Twitch Plays Pokémon Insanity

In the past three weeks, approximately 100,000 people managed to jump, fight and mythologize their way through a single run of Pokémon Red. This internet culture event occurred via Twitch Plays Pokémon, a live stream of the Pokémon game played on an emulator that responded to the commands of any person involved through a chat box.

• Op-Ed | Israeli Apartheid Week in retrospect

It is most fitting, in a most disturbing manner, that Israeli Apartheid Week at Tufts University should be inaugurated on the heels of breaking news that, over the past year, Israel has doubled its rate of settlement construction in the illegally occupied West Bank. 3 comments

• Men's Basketball | Sabety leads Jumbos with Palleschi’s mentorship

Freshman steps in to shoulder responsibility with Palleschi sidelined

Freshman Hunter Sabety was at the free throw line with three seconds to go in his team’s NESCAC quarterfinal matchup against Williams. The Jumbos trailed by one. Sabety swished the first. He missed the second.  The Jumbos went on to lose by 10 points in overtime, ending their season one free throw away from an upset.

• Women's Swimming and Diving | Team takes positives from challenging season

The women’s swimming and diving team ended its season two weeks ago, taking seventh place at the NESCAC championships at Williams College, and finishing with a 1-4 record in dual meets and an 0-2 record in their only tri-meet. The team came off of a 2012-13 campaign where they took third at the NESCAC championships.

• New online reservation system for Tisch group study rooms

Tufts Student Services in a Feb. 19 email announced that students will be able make advance reservations for group study rooms in Tisch Library. Through the Tufts Space and Resource Reservation System, groups of two or more may reserve one of the 11 group study rooms for a minimum of one hour and a maximum of three hours per day from now through the end of the semester, according to the email.

• Swimming, diving teams faced with adversity after closing of Hamilton Pool

After Hamilton Pool closed at the beginning of this semester, many students were concerned: Would the pool ever reopen its door? Would the university be forced to build a new facility? Neither. Following a successful repair to a crack in its structure, the pool reopens today with regular hours.

• Restaurant Review | Yume Wo Katare not for faint of heart

Near the Porter T stop, almost completely hidden in the chilly shadow of a red avant-garde windmill sculpture, one restaurant reigns supreme. There is almost no topping the treasure that is Yume Wo Katare. The restaurant’s ambience alone is deeply satisfying — a blend of casual and group effort dining , placed within a colorful setting, marinating visitors in fumes of mouth-watering, heart-stopping ramen.

• mlax

Men's Lacrosse | Tufts beats Middlebury with strong offense

Both teams expected a showdown, as No. 5 Tufts played No. 18 Middlebury on Saturday afternoon. And just three minutes into the contest, it appeared that a tight game was exactly what the Jumbos would get. Middlebury, hosting Tufts in 20-degree weather that felt more like five degrees, jumped on the board first when junior midfielder Taylor Pirie beat senior keeper Patton Watkins for an early goal.

• R. Nicholas Burns: U.S. foreign policy extremely complex

Sunday morning’s keynote address on “American Policy and the Arab Revolutions” featured R. Nicholas Burns, former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs.     Burns, a professor at Harvard University’s John F.

• Kevin Criscione | Ill Literates

Favorite Books

When asked about my favorite books, I'll sometimes draw a complete bank. It might sound strange to some, but questions like that feel like unfairly timed pop quizzes to me. Perhaps they are because, in my head, I take a convoluted route to answering questions that involve picking favorites.

• Op-ed | Palestine is about America

Upon entering Tufts — an elite liberal institution — we are discretely told which problems to focus on and which problems to ignore. “Think beyond borders,” we are encouraged; be a “global citizen.” Go solve Rwanda’s, India’s, Guatemala’s and Jordan’s problems; export the values of freedom and equality that America has to offer.

• womens track

Women's Track and Field | Jumbos continue postseason at NEICAAAs

Although most of coach Kristen Morwick’s squad had the day off, some members of the women’s track and field team traveled five miles down the road to the Boston University Track and Tennis Center for the New England Intercollegiate Amateur Athletic Association (NEICAAA) championships, also known as Open New Englands.

• Jordan Bean | Sacked

All wins aren't created equal

I’m not impressed. Although its record reads 31-0 and it is ranked second in the polls, Wichita State is far from the second best team in the nation. Are we really all in agreement that it deserves this ranking? Is a team that has defeated teams such as Bradley, Drake, Evansville and Emporia State better than a North Carolina team which has defeated then-No.

• jk

TV Review | Season two of ‘House of Cards’ triumphs, excites audiences

As the first episode of the “House of Cards” second season ends, Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) looks directly into camera and says, “Did you think I’d forgotten you? Perhaps you hoped I had ... Welcome back.” If the hype surrounding this season’s release is any indication, audiences certainly have not forgotten about Frank.

• u

Album Review | Tinariwen beautifully weaves American influences into Malian sound

Tinariwen’s new album, titled “Emmaar,” begins with a spacey guitar playing a twanging defiant note. Then come lyrics growled in English instead of Tuareg, and instrumentation that would be at home in any American rock band. Tinariwen’s sound has evolved from its Malian roots, thanks to the band’s relocation from the Sahara Desert to another -- the Mojave.

• Ryan Buell | The Beat

Album sales in the Internet age

This past Thursday afternoon, ScHoolboy Q’s highly anticipated album “Oxymoron” was leaked to the Internet a full five days before its scheduled release. Soon after, the deluxe version of the album was officially distributed to everyone who had pre-ordered it.

• j

Original student work on display tonight in Balch Arena

Tufts students bring to life a peer’s work tonight. One of two minor productions produced by Pen, Paint and Pretzels (3Ps) this semester, “Katabasis” is sophomore Kellyn Henthorn’s original work. Five short scenes compose Henthorn’s play, each of which tells a different story about death, loss or the nature of life.

• Men's basketball

Men's Basketball | Overtime battle spells end for Jumbos

The seventh seed visiting men’s basketball team played a near-perfect 40 minutes of regulation against second seed Williams at Chandler Gym in the NESCAC quarterfinals matchup on Saturday. The Jumbos, however, could not be perfect for all 45 minutes.

• w bball

Women's Basketball | Jumbos through to NESCAC semifinals

As junior guard Hannah Foley went to the line to shoot two free throws, all memory of last year’s quarterfinal loss to Bowdoin was erased. The women’s basketball team routed Wesleyan 74-46 this past weekend, keeping their bid for their first ever NESCAC Championship alive.

• Men's and Women's Squash | Advani, Stanco earn All-NESCAC honors

Two Jumbo squash players were named to the All-NESCAC teams this week. On the men’s side, sophomore Aditya Advani made the All-NESCAC second team for the second consecutive year. Playing in the No. 1 position all season for the Jumbos, Advani notched a 16-7 record, including a 4-4 record against NESCAC opponents in team play.

• Blood drive sees success amid challenges

The Leonard Carmichael Society (LCS) last week held its annual winter blood drive for the American Red Cross. According to Red Cross Spokeswoman Jecoliah Ellis, of the 128 units of blood collected, 51 came from people who were first-time donors. LCS holds three blood drives at Tufts each academic year in October, February and April, Ellis explained.

• Tufts Energy Conference hosts solar energy competition

The Tufts Energy Conference (TEC) is hosting a new solar energy competition this year, in addition to its annual TEC energy competition. The solar competition aims to encourage students to design a photovoltaic (PV) solar technology project that will operate without a connection to Tufts electric grid, according to TEC Competition Director Anna McCallie.

• Men’s squash | Advani, Schweitzer form unlikely duo on and off court

Sophomore Aditya Advani and junior Zachary Schweitzer are more than the No. 1 and No. 2 players of the men’s squash team. While their relationship began on the courts, it has grown into a strong friendship away from the game. Schweitzer grew up playing squash in southeast Pennsylvania.

• jkl

Artsy Jumbo | Alice McDonald Games takes her drawing skills to market

Alice McDonald Games, a junior, recently designed the website art, logo and brand labeling for Earnest Farms. Cased in Bolton, Mass., the company sells pasture-raised, soy-free and organically-fed chicken eggs and pork. Started just two years ago, Earnest Farms is still new to the local farming scene and relatively small -- guaranteeing that McDonald Games would have creative freedom and a prominent role in developing the image and reputation of the brand.

• k

Theater Review | Poe is brought to life on stage

ArtsEmerson’s experimental production is wildly successful

“Red-Eye to Havre de Grace” (2012), an action-opera brought to Boston as part of ArtsEmerson’s “Pioneers” series, details the last days of Edgar Allan Poe’s life. More shocking than conventional, the show contains a little history -- as told through Poe’s letters to his mother -- and a lot of artistic interpretation, especially of the author’s deteriorating mental health.

• Artsy Nugget | Following plagiarism scandal, Shia LaBeouf acts out

This past week, Shia LaBeouf continued his series of apologetic and attention-grabbing antics following a plagiarism scandal by starring in his own solo interactive art exhibit, called “#IAMSORRY.” Running from Tuesday, Feb. 11 until this past Sunday in L.

• jkl

Film Review | Raunchy humor elevates ‘About Last Night’

Throughout the past year, amidst serious dramas and intense con movies, the romantic comedy has slightly fallen by the wayside. Perhaps this is due to one of the inescapable trademarks of the genre: clichés. It seems that some audience members are becoming amateur critics -- their eyes are hungry for new images, their brains thirsty for novel plotlines.

• jkl

Office seeks to expand diversity in study abroad programs

Acclaimed for its study abroad programs, Tufts lacks diversity in its enrollment, according to a December 2013 report from the Council on Diversity.  During their four years at Tufts, just 30 percent of African American students, compared to 53 percent of white students, will study abroad.

• TV Review | After rough start, ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ sees improvement

By anyone’s estimation, Marvel’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” came into the fall 2013 TV season in a prime position to be a commercial and critical hit for ABC. Coming off the heels of Marvel Studios’ extremely successful blockbusters like “The Avengers” (2012) and offering a direct tie to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “S.

• Ryan Buell | The Beat

The case for a hip-hop Hall of Fame

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened in Cleveland, Ohio in 1983, some 30 years after the term “rock ‘n’ roll” was coined and 20 years after the Beatles released “Please Please Me” (1963), making the genre a household name. Each year, half a dozen to a dozen nominees are inducted; there are categories for performers and non-performers, as well as for sidemen and lifetime achievement honors.

• Album Review | Sun Kil Moon’s ‘Benji’ expertly handles heavy topics

“Benji,” the latest release from Sun Kil Moon, isn’t exactly revolutionary from a musical perspective. Yet, because of frontman Mark Kozelek’s superb songwriting abilities, the album allows listeners to peek into a different universe, revealing the intimate details of Kozelek’s personal life without feeling overly sentimental or melodramatic.

• Editorial | Bridge Professorships is positive step, but more can be done

Tufts has made positive strides in its decision to create Bridge Professorships that will, according to the university, “enable the hiring of faculty whose scholarship bridges academic units across or within schools.” The inaugural program, set to begin next year with financial support from the Provost’s office, will give Tufts students the opportunity to connect with joint faculty members who will teach a subject offered in two Tufts schools.

• Op-ed | How we remember genocide

Holocaust Remembrance Day specifically commemorates the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, an event in which the Jews of Warsaw fought courageously against the Nazis. At this point the Jews, living off 180-360 calories a day and with nothing to look towards except their death, decided to fight back.

• Adam Kaminski | The Cool Column

Poor pedestrians, perilous paths

Last semester I was so fortunate as to travel to New York City, the land of tourists, trappers and tourist trappers. I traveled with a few friends, and the trip as special and as tourist-trapped as I had hoped it would be. Our blissful weekend getaway, however, was a single foot away from being an absolute nightmare.

• Men's Basketball | Jumbos sneak into playoffs with two thrilling victories

The Jumbos made the playoffs. For an agonizing hour or so, they thought they hadn’t.  They had just defeated Bowdoin, 66-62, and as they walked off the court they celebrated a ferocious team effort and a two-win weekend that earned them a spot in the NESCAC tournament.

• track

Men's Track and Field | Distance medley relay headlines another successful weekend

The men’s track and field team has been on a tear the past several weeks. Numerous athletes have recorded personal bests, qualified for the NCAA Championships, broken school records, and even become the fastest in the country at their respective events.

• basketball

Women's Basketball | Jumbos finish first perfect NESCAC season

Any questions surrounding the women’s basketball team following its first loss of the season to Babson last week were emphatically answered by back-to-back-blowout wins over NESCAC foes Colby and Bowdoin at Cousens Gymnasium this past weekend. The wins secured a No.

• Editorial | Boston’s Olympic bid should be heeded with caution

As the small Russian coastal town of Sochi begins to receive the world for the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, plans to bring the summer games to Boston in 2024 are already in motion. In November of last year, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick approved an exploratory committee to look into the feasibility of Boston hosting the games.

• Op-Ed | CSL decision ignores CARE, activist participation

Reading the op-ed, “CSL changes ‘justified departure’ policy” by Professor Alva Couch and senior Haydn Forrest and the accompanying Daily editorial, “CSL policy changes are important step” we were elated and even a bit teary. The Committee on Student Life’s (CSL) December 2012 creation of a policy that threw out everything we knew to be true about Tufts as a whole, and the religious and philosophical community, marred the winter of our senior years at Tufts.

• hockey

Men's Ice Hockey | Tufts falls in double-header against Conn. College

As the hourglass continues to run down on the Jumbos’ shot at becoming a postseason contender, the men’s hockey team did itself no favors this weekend. Hoping to come out of its only home-and-away doubleheader of the season with two wins and four points, head coach Brian Murphy’s squad instead skated away empty-handed after dropping consecutive contests to traveling partner Conn.

• Sam Gold | The Gold Standard

Out and NFL-bound: an odyssey

Upon winning the 2013 Defensive Player of the Year award in college football’s grueling Southeastern Conference, he joined the company of NFL standouts Patrick Peterson, Eric Berry, Glenn Dorsey, Patrick Willis and Demeco Ryans. Standing 6’2” in a 260-pound frame, he ranks among the best defensive ends in the country.

• hockey

• Natalie Girshman | Love on Screen

The No Marriage Rule

Previously, I’ve talked about tropes that have both a good and a bad side, but which I still hold some affection for. However, this next trope is particularly pernicious and one of my own pet peeves in popular depictions of love: we rarely — if ever — get to see a couple actually being a couple.

• Movie Review | ‘Labor Day’ sappy, overwrought

The newest addition to director Jason Reitman’s long list of film credits ruins his streak of creating quality movies like “Juno” (2007) and “Up in the Air” (2009). “Labor Day” feels just like what it implies — two too many hours of hard, strenuous labor.

• Kanye West’s ‘The College Dropout’ turns 10

At the height of his fame, MC extraordinaire Jay-Z had a choice to make. Should he honor the request of Kanye West, an innovative young producer who wanted to rap over some of the beats he himself had crafted, or abide by his peers’ beliefs that those same beats would be better off saved for somebody else’s record? In hindsight, this was one of the biggest turning points in the course of hip-hop history.

• Editorial | 2014 Winter Ball is relative success

Even first-year students have heard the appalling tales of last year’s Winter Bash. Stories from upperclassmen are accounts of drunken, apocalyptic horror — every university official’s nightmare. We, as the student body, were not only irresponsible in terms of our own health — with at least 15 students needing medical attention from paramedics — but were downright disrespectful toward a venue that was willing to host an event for thousands of college students.

• Kevin Criscione | Ill Literates

Is an e-book a real book?

In the 21st century, some things have changed and others haven’t. Folks may still be reading Moby Dick, but is reading the classic 1851 whale tale any different on the smooth yet phony inky-looking surface of a Kindle?  Today’s question: whether or not reading something on an e-Reader, Kindle or other device that would have been considered futuristic two decades ago is profoundly different in any way.

• Movie Review | Sebastián Lelio’s ‘Gloria’ is gloriously refreshing

It appears, for once, that a film has been made that deals with a very difficult topic in a youth-saturated industry: middle age. Not only does director Sebastián Lelio’s film, “Gloria” (2013), focus on this stage of life, but it also delivers an even more unusual companion: romance.

• Tufts Mock Trial team has successful weekend

The Tufts Mock Trial (TMT) team qualified two delegations for next month’s American Mock Trial Association’s Opening Round Championship Series (ORCS) where the teams will compete to participate in the National Championship Tournament. The TMT A- and D-teams competed at a regional tournament in Manchester, N.

• Somerville sees growth in younger population, business economy

As the average age of Somerville residents declines and new restaurants flock to the city, the town once known as “Slum-erville” has transformed its reputation.  “Somerville worries it’s growing too hip” read the headline of an Aug. 23, 2013 article published in The Boston Globe, detailing the changes in the neighborhood where many Tufts students eat, study and shop.

• Theatre Review | ‘House/Divided’ discusses politics, recent housing crisis

The Builders Association, a New York theater production company, does exactly what its name implies at the beginning of its production of “House/Divided”: it builds a house. For each performance, the group constructs an actual house that was once foreclosed on and torn down.

• ‘Wonderland’ dives down rapturous rabbit hole

Like its literary namesake, CEO’s sophomore album “Wonderland” is an eclectic adventure that combines elements from a great range of sources, which will — as they merge together in a wild amalgam of cheer and melancholy — both delight and depress listeners.

• Tufts’ Indian dance groups bring diverse history, culture to campus

Dancers compete in style-specific circuits

While many students burrow down in the first months of the spring semester, burying themselves in books and bowls of Carm stir-fry, members of Tufts’ Indian dance groups will head to the gym and the stage in the coming weeks. Though perhaps lesser known than organizations like Sarabande or Spirt of Color, members of these dance troupes are working hard to polish their performances and gain recognition both on and off campus this spring.

• Editorial | CSL policy changes are important step

Published in today’s edition of the Tufts Daily is an op-ed from members of the Committee on Student Life (CSL), announcing its decision to no longer allow student organizations to apply for a “justified departure” from the Tufts Community Union Judiciary’s (TCUJ) non-discrimination policy, as well as the creation of a new policy toward Religious and Philosophical Student Organizations (RPSOs).

• Women’s Swimming and Diving | Swimmers compete in last meet before championships

In the final event before the NESCAC championships, the women’s swimming and diving team headed to the Middlebury College Invitational this past weekend, competing against teams that included NESCAC rivals Amherst, Williams and Middlebury. Although the meet was a non-scoring event and intended to be a tune-up for the upcoming championships, several Jumbos performed well Friday and Saturday, dropping time off of their career bests — signaling that the team could be picking up momentum as it closes out its season.

• Ice Hockey | Jumbos’ struggle on the ice continues

Things went from bad to worse for the men’s hockey team this past weekend. The Jumbos trekked to Vermont and then to Western Massachusetts on a brutal road trip during which they dropped two more contests to Middlebury and Williams. Now, head coach Brian Murphy’s squad, which has not seen a conference victory since Dec.

• TCU Senate

TCU Senate Trustee Reps present venture projects

The three Trustee Representatives on the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate delivered a mock presentation of their venture projects in Eaton 203 last night, in preparation for their upcoming meeting with the Board of Trustees this Friday. The venture projects include improving access to career counselors, increasing financial aid opportunities for non-Tufts study abroad programs and offering more support for first-generation college students.

• Featurettes

Tufts alumna Danielle Weisberg finds success with news source, theSkimm

When Danielle Weisberg (LA ’08) graduated from Tufts, she didn’t expect she would be her own boss just four years later. In July of 2012, however, she did just that when she co-founded theSkimm, an online newsletter that sends daily news updates to its subscribers.

• On increasing enrollment of computer science courses

On Jan. 28, 2014 The Tufts Daily published an article on the computer science department struggling with course over-enrollment, and having been a teaching assistant I want to provide the graduate student perspective. My name is Michael Shah and I’m in the Ph.

• Gallery Review | ‘Fired Earth, Woven Bamboo’ explores Japanese ceramics

In the Arts of East Asia, Oceania and Africa wing of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (MFA), a relatively new exhibit examines the development of contemporary Japanese pottery and weaving techniques. “Fired Earth, Woven Bamboo” celebrates new developments in ceramics and bamboo art that began in Japan in the 1950s.

• Movie Review | ‘That Awkward Moment’ disappoints with tired, stale story

“That Awkward Moment,” tells the story of Jason (Zac Efron), Mikey (Michael B. Jordan) and Daniel (Miles Teller): three best friends in their late 20s who are living in New York and learning how to deal with relationships. Jason and Daniel — two stereotypical womanizers uninterested in any kind of commitment — work together at a company that designs book covers.

• Editorial | Drug addiction is national, not personal, failure

Academy Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died on Sunday of an apparent heroin overdose, and once again discussions of drug addiction have entered the national media spotlight. Death by overdose is a common sight in the modern American landscape and Hoffman was just the latest high-profile example — the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that a whopping 105 people die from drug overdoses every single day in the United States, 78 percent of which are accidental.

• mens track

Men's Track and Field | Home-field advantage sees Tufts through to second place

Having already notched a first and second-place finish this season, Tufts hosted a two-day competition in the Gantcher Center, beginning Friday and concluding late Saturday morning.  The team’s consistency, which dates back to last spring’s NESCAC championship and nationals performances, has been its hallmark.

• women's squash

Women's Squash | Jumbos compete in difficult NESCAC tournament in New Yorl

The women’s squash team competed at the NESCAC tournament in Hamilton, N.Y. at Colgate University over the weekend, coming in 10th place out of 11 teams. The tournament saw the team rebound from a difficult first-round loss to Bowdoin with a win over Connecticut College in the first consolation round, before ultimately falling to Colby 7-2 in the second consolation round.

• Gittleman cancels spring Yiddish culture course after injury

Introduction to Yiddish Culture, a course taught for 42 years by the Alice and Nathan Gantcher University Professor of Judaic Studies Sol Gittleman, was cancelled on Jan. 15 after Gittleman experienced complications with his hip replacement surgery. After having surgery on Dec.

• Restaurant Review | Oleana impresses with varied, innovative menu

Oleana is the kind of restaurant that could easily suffer from being over-hyped. It boasts an impressive 28 Zagat rating and was named Boston’s best Middle Eastern restaurant by Boston Magazine in 2012. Plus, getting a reservation requires thinking ahead — often, calling a week in advance won’t guarantee you’ll be able to get a table at the time you want.

• unstoppable!

Men’s Basketball | Tufts splits weekend road games in Connecticut

Riding its first NESCAC victory into a weekend of games on the road, the men’s basketball team defeated Connecticut College on Friday night before falling to Wesleyan the next day, dropping the Jumbos to a tie for eighth place in the conference. Despite starting the weekend with a defensive stand, limiting the Conn.

• Men's Squash | Tufts falls in early rounds of conference tournament

The men’s squash team played four matches in as many days this week, losing to cross-town rival Boston College before playing in the NESCAC Championship.  With the disappointing loss to BC on their minds, Tufts entered the NESCAC Championships eager to compete.

• rent

Production of ‘RENT’ stimulates discussion on diversity in Tufts’ theatrical community

The musical “RENT” is known for its focus on diversity, along with its emphasis on other themes such as race, class and sexuality. Any rendition of “RENT” is forced to take these sensitive subjects into account, and the Tufts’ Department of Drama and Dance’s upcoming production is no different.

• OCL to sell more Winter Ball tickets next week

The Office for Campus Life (OCL) will sell additional Winter Ball tickets next week, after many students had problems purchasing event tickets when they first went on sale on Jan. 27. When students first tried to go to TuftsTickets.com, the website redirected to a virtual waiting room, where students stayed in limbo between five minutes and two hours.

• Editorial | Maybe we could have

President Obama has been in office for just five years, but with Tuesday night’s State of the Union address, it can begin to feel like he has been a lame duck president for a while. Conservatives among us would scoff and declare that his administration hasn’t kept its campaign promises since day one.

• Inside the NBA | Basketball awards at mid-season point

As January comes to an end, we have reached the midpoint of the NBA regular season. With the all-star game just a couple weeks away, The Daily takes a look at the midseason award winners.   MVP:  Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder   Although he’s been a clear member of the NBA’s elite for the past few seasons, Durant has finally taken the next step towards becoming the MVP frontrunner in his seventh year in the league.

• Greek Life

Greek Life makes gains in philanthropy, sees room for expansion

Since their founding, Greek Life institutions have made commitments to philanthropy a key part of their philosophy. In more recent years, however, sororities and fraternities have gained reputations across the country for being more focused on social engagements than on philanthropy.

• Tufts expands late-night dining options

Tufts Dining Services is offering adjusted late night weekend dining options this semester, with Dewick-MacPhie and Carmichael Dining Halls extending their hours until 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights and the Commons Deli and Grill accepting meal plans.

• Dining Services currently holding naming competition for Kosher Deli

Dining Services is currently holding a naming competition for the newly-opened Kosher Deli. According to Patti Klos, director of Dining and Business Services, the deli was initially named the Kosher Deli in order to let students know that the food offered is glatt kosher.

• Concert Review | Steven Feifke fills Regattabar with passionate, sophisticated jazz

It’s refreshing to hear young musicians playing traditional jazz. It’s even more refreshing to hear them playing it exceptionally well. While jazz sub-genres range from the screaming, avant-garde sensibilities of John Zorn to the lukewarm Muzak of Kenny G, Steven Feifke and company keep it simple.

• Restaurant Review | The Burren provides cozy, fun atmosphere hearty cuisine

Stepping into The Burren — with its wood paneling, soft red lighting, walls postered with pictures of musical acts and lilting Irish music piping from the sound system — feels like being transported to a small piece of Dublin without having to leave Somerville.

• Ice Hockey | Tufts loses two more close games to Trinity, Wesleyan

The men’s hockey team continued its season-long struggles over the weekend, dropping back-to-back home games to Wesleyan and No. 13 Trinity. The losses to their two NESCAC foes makes five consecutive losses for the Jumbos, and with just three of 13 home games remaining, the team is at risk of going winless at home.

• Women’s Swimming and Diving | Tufts beats Wheaton in season’s first win

Winning 11 of the meet’s 15 events, the women’s swimming and diving team beat Wheaton College 190-100 on Saturday to pick up its first win of the season. Despite losing their home pool to closure earlier this month, the Jumbos celebrated Senior Day at Wheaton’s pool, honoring the 11 swimmers and divers of Tufts’ senior class.

• Recent alumna remembered for her love of nature

Lily Glidden (LA ‘12), known for her passion for outdoor adventures and remembered by friends for her kindness and outgoing spirit, died two weeks ago in rural Thailand where she was killed by elephants. She was 24. Glidden, a Class of 2012 graduate and biology major, was passionate about her studies.

• Editorial | Computer science deserves more attention

Tufts traditionally strives to be on the forefront of academic exploration, and in 2014, the reality should be no different. As Jumbos we take pride in being a premier research and liberal arts university, which we’re reminded of whenever we are in earshot of any campus tour.

• Mens' squash

Men's Squash | Men’s squash wins over Vassar, drops matches against Colby and Conn. College

For the second consecutive week, the men’s squash team played multiple matches in one weekend. Last week Tufts won against Denison before losing to Drexel and Bucknell, all on the same day. This time around they played against Vassar on Friday before heading to Connecticut on Saturday to play Colby and Connecticut College.

• Album Review | Against Me! dials down politics, turns up emotion

Transgender Dysphoria Blues

The newest album by Against Me! starts out raw and powerful. “Your tells are so obvious / shoulders too broad for a girl ... / you want them to notice / the ragged ends of your summer dress / you want them to see you like they see every other girl / they just see a faggot / they’ll hold their breath not to catch the sick .

• Women's squash

Women's Squash | Jumbos win two of three matches

The women’s squash team was back on the court over the weekend, competing in three big matches against teams above and below them in the national rankings. The No. 28 Jumbos faced No. 25 William Smith College on Friday night, followed by matchups with No.

• TV Review | ‘Community’ returns with quirky humor

Community

Despite cancelation rumors and a lengthy hiatus, “Community,” the quirky NBC comedy, is back for a fifth season featuring new characters, typical fourth-wall humor and the departures of two key members of the study group. After a disappointing fourth season in which the show’s creator Dan Harmon was conspicuously absent, “Community” makes a decent comeback in its most recent episodes, with Harmon at the helm.

• Women's Track and Field | Tufts shines at Bowdoin, shows early season promise at BU

The women’s track and field team entered the weekend hoping to qualify runners for postseason meets, and they did not disappoint. The 29th ranked Jumbos rode a 152-point score to victory on Saturday at the Bowdoin Invitational, held at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.

• External influences impact TCU election

Beyond the debates, chalking and colorful t-shirts, the Facebook page and website of Generic Candidate, and the campaign to "abstain" from voting, have affected the mood of this year's campaign for Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate President. Although the Generic Candidate was, for most of its existence, run by an anonymous user, junior Ben Kurland revealed yesterday that he was behind the page's creation.

• Rwandan President reflects on Tutsi genocide

Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda, spoke at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy yesterday, marking the 20th anniversary of the genocide against the Tutsis. Kagame reflected on the impact of the 1994 genocide on the Rwandan people, discussed his country's path to recovery and explained the lessons the global community can learn from the tragedy.

• railway

Movie Review | 'Railway Man' impresses with haunting portrayal of post-war trauma

"Sometime, the hating has to stop," are the words that wrap-up the trailer of "The Railway Man." As the teaser suggests, this beautiful story of revenge, honor and forgiveness leaves the audience wondering just how so much hate can and will end. Forgiving, after all, is often easier said than done.

• Retaurant Review | Tampopo doles out feel-good cuisine

The Shops at Porter are a cornucopia of great Asian cuisine, the best of which is Tampopo. The cozy restaurant — which on a good day seats 14 people — is a perfect spot for eating with just one other person. For two,  it usually isn't difficult to get a seat.

• Editorial | Kagame visit should not go without scrutiny

Rwandan President Paul Kagame visited Tufts yesterday to give a speech to students and guests on his country's recovery from genocide, ethnic tensions and its future. The lecture was so popular that tickets for the event were gone within an hour of their public release.

• Women's Lacrosse | Tufts holds of Wesleyan with late run

Coming off of its thrilling overtime win over Bates last Tuesday, the No. 17 women's lacrosse team appeared to have a clear road to a second-straight victory when it took on Wesleyan on Saturday. However, the Cardinals, seeking their first conference win of the season, almost pulled off a major upset on Saturday, thwarted only by a late surge from the Jumbos.

• Softball | Offensive explosion pushes Tufts' winning streak to 12 games

One of the hallmarks of a good team is the ability to win games that are supposed to be won. This weekend, the softball team did just that, outscoring a last-place Bates squad 32-2 in three games. After playing one game on Friday, Tufts spent Friday night at Bates, and looked refreshed and energized for Saturday's doubleheader.

• Ryan Buell | The Beat

'It's All Good Baby, Baby'

With the return of warm weather comes blooming flowers, chirping birds, day parties and, of course, summer playlists. In between the Sublime and Bob Marley, hip-hop is an essential part of any warm weather playlist. In honor of the arrival of spring, I'll be running through some of my summer music staples.

• Concert Review | Club Passim hosts eclectic, multi-genre concert

On its website, Fishtank Ensemble introduces itself as a "musical Molotov cocktail," a provocative statement which suggests that this band is comprised of daredevils. This branding, if not entirely deserved, at least conveys the group's irreverent tendency to completely disregard stylistic boundaries.

• Rebecca Hutchinson | What's Poppin'

Falling from grace

Just like the rest of America, I am a huge BeyoncACCENT fan. If the states ever decided we needed to make somebody queen, she would be my No. 1 choice. But, I still think we need to talk about the fact that she named her child Blue Ivy. I mean, there is now a person in this world walking around named Blue.

• Introducing the candidates | Inclusiveness is component of Robert Joseph’s agenda

Robert Joseph, a junior, is running for Tufts Community Union (TCU) president on a platform of reform and inclusiveness, seeking to refine the campus sexual misconduct policy and increase student access to public transportation. Joseph, who has been a senator since the fall of his freshman year, served as TCU Parliamentarian as a sophomore, handling issues pertaining to the TCU Constitution and bylaws.

• huffington

Arianna Huffington delivers ninth annual Murrow Forum address

Arianna Huffington, the founder of The Huffington Post (HuffPost), spoke yesterday about the new digital age of journalism at the ninth annual Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism. Huffington, who currently serves as the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, sat down for a discussion with Jonathan Tisch (A '76), the chairman of Loews Hotels who endowed the Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service at Tufts. 1 comment

• Weekender | Used bookstores are Boston's hidden gems

Many students are familiar with the process of buying books: With each new semester comes the ever-daunting task of trying to find the correct editions without spending all of next year's paychecks. As stressful as buying books can be, the process can be significantly more enjoyable (and less expensive) if one buys used copies.

• latina

Theatre Preview | 'De Nuestros Ojos' captures diverse Latina experiences on campus

"De Nuestros Ojos," a senior capstone project being produced in association with Bare Bodkin, will open tonight in Balch Arena Theater. The result of months of work and transformation, the show is a combination of spoken word pieces and monologues that explore the experiences of Latina women on and off campus.

• heaven

Movie Review | 'Heaven Is for Real' delivers portrait of Christianity

Movie is self-defeating, mildly entertaining

It started with a bestselling book: "Heaven Is for Real" (2010), the account of Colton Burpo's near-death experience, during which the four-year-old allegedly briefly visited heaven before being wrenched back to life through the miracle of modern medical science.

• gabby

Women's Lacrosse | Tufts celebrates senior day with thrilling overtime win

On Tuesday, the seniors on the women's lacrosse team refused to let their senior day end in defeat. On their final game on Bello Field, senior captain attacker Gabby Horner and her classmate, midfielder Eliza Halmo, combined for six second-half and overtime goals to come back from a three goal deficit to beat Bates, 11-9, in overtime.

• envirotalk

Harvard professor discusses environmental regulations

Rohini Pande, the Mohammed Kamal Professor of Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School, spoke yesterday to Tufts students and faculty about the process of developing environmental regulations when states lack the capacity and knowledge to create them independently.

• got

TV Review | 'Game of Thrones' returns with drama, surprises

"Game of Thrones" is one of the most popular and critically acclaimed shows on television — and for a good reason. The show has the ability to blend fantasy with political drama and intrigue, managing to maintain and develop a large, confusing cast while making relatable, memorable characters.

• mutual

Concert Review | Mutual Benefit sticks to gorgeous, stripped-down set

Mutual Benefit's sound is quixotic. The indie outfit, created by bandleader Jordan Lee, is adventurous and daring, two attributes which their music — a unique mix of folk, atmospheric pop, experimental nu-wave and Americana — reflects.

• Theater Preview | Torn Ticket II blends familiar characters, new talent in 'You're a Good Man, Charl

"You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," one of the productions being produced this semester by Torn Ticket II, Tufts' musical theater student group, will open Thursday evening in Dewick-MacPhie Dining Hall. Created by Clark Gesner and first performed in 1967, the show uses musical numbers and comedy to tell a story about the beloved "Peanuts" (1950-2000) characters Charlie Brown (freshman Paxton Crystal), Linus (junior Marcus Hunter) and Lucy (freshman Lizzie Boston).

• Men's Track | Stallman scores first collegiate victory in pole vault

On Saturday, the men's track and field team competed in the George Davis Invitational at UMass Lowell, an unscored meet featuring New England schools from all three divisions.     The presence of NESCAC teams such as Conn.

• Cause Dinner donations benefit after-school programs in Middle East

This semester's Cause Dinner, held last Tuesday in Carmichael and Dewick-MacPhie Dining Halls, raised funds to benefit the Palestinian Association for Children's Encouragement of Sport (PACES). The Cause Dinner is hosted twice annually by Dining Services in conjunction with the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate, which selects a charity initiative from a pool of undergraduate applicants.

• Restaurant Review | Mexican restaurant provides simple, unexpected menu

Near the end of Elm Street, on the very edge of Porter Square, a bright orange and green storefront announces the local Mexican restaurant, Aguacate Verde. The small eatery is instantly inviting — the door remains propped open in mild weather, allowing the sizzling sounds and enticing flavors emanating from the tiny kitchen to greet visitors as they approach.

• Aggravated assault on Capen St.

According to an April 14 safety alert from TUPD, a non-Tufts affiliated male was the victim of an aggravated assault on the corner of Capen and Winthrop Streets, near the bottom of the steps that lead from Wren Hall toward Boston Avenue.

• Women's Tennis | Williams halts Tufts' winning streak at four

Women's tennis played two NESCAC teams this past week, finding itself on the opposite ends of two lopsided final scores. Riding their longest winning streak of the season, the Jumbos attained their fourth straight win, beating Wesleyan on the road 9-0 this past Wednesday.

• Men's Tennis | Jumbos split weekend matches, fall to 3-4

The men's tennis team took on two conference rivals this past week at home, facing off against Conn. College on Thursday and Bowdoin on Saturday. Despite easily dispatching the Camels 8-1 earlier in the week, the No. 28-ranked Jumbos were unable to upset the No.

• Rebecca Hutchinson | What's Poppin'

Lessons from Buzzfeed

Nothing is better for self-discovery than an Internet quiz. After all, if you don't know what "Full House" (1987-1995) character you are, or which Eminem songs best describe you or which famous butt you should have, do you really know yourself at all? Luckily, some super-genius Internet tycoon realized how much our generation desperately needed to know these things and more, and Buzzfeed was born.

• Jordan Bean | Sacked

Embracing Inequality

All people are created equal, but all leagues and teams are not. Over the evolution of professional sports, certain teams have shown the extent to which they are willing to outspend the competition. Others outsmart the field — they don't have the resources of the rich.

• Baseball | Tufts wins two of three against Trinity

After taking two of three in its series against the Trinity Bantams, the baseball team climbed to the top spot in the NESCAC East division with a 3-1 record in conference play. The No. 18 Jumbos are now 19-2 overall and hold the highest national ranking of any NESCAC team.

• Students simulate religious, ethnic conflict during FieldEx

Approximately 60 students participated in the sixth annual Field Exercise in Peace and Stability Operations (FieldEx) simulation, which took place in a Weare, N.H., paintball field last weekend.  The simulation initiative, led by the undergraduate student group Alliance Linking Leaders in Education and the Services (ALLIES), explored religious and ethnic conflict in an imaginary multi-ethnic, post-colonial nation, according to Shan Zhi Thia, one of the event organizers.

• Tufts Democrats host discussion on hunger in America

Tufts Democrats hosted their ninth annual Issues of the Future Conference in the Alumnae Lounge Friday evening, which focused this year on hunger in America and federal assistance programs.  Congressman Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) delivered the event's keynote speech.

• TSC, Lewis Hall collaborate for EarthFest

Tufts Sustainability Collective (TSC) and the Lewis Hall duty team last Friday hosted EarthFest, an afternoon of eco-activities on the Academic Quad followed by a music festival outside Lewis Hall.  EarthFest has been held in Boston for many years as an eco-friendly music festival, Caroline Jeanmaire, who organized this year's EarthFest, said.

• kljlkj

Women's Lacrosse | Tufts beats Endicott, maintains undefeated road record

Last season, Tufts struggled to defeat the Endicott Gulls, eking out a 12-11 win in what was expected to be a comfortable non-conference victory. This time, however, the Jumbos performed more in line with expectations, cruising to a 15-10 win over the Gulls to improve their road record to 5-0 on the season.

• jjlk

Softball | Fournier, Giglio lead Tufts to double-header sweep over Rhode Island College

The softball team improved to 16-3 on Wednesday following a pair of shutout victories over the Rhode Island College Anchorwomen, 6-0 and 1-0. Senior pitcher Lauren Giglio and junior pitcher Allyson Fournier were in top form, holding the Anchorwomen to four hits over the two games to help the Jumbos secure the double-header sweep and get back in the win column following a pair of losses to Williams.

• Top Ten | Hosts to replace David Letterman

With news that David Letterman will step down from his post as the host of "Late Show With David Letterman" (1993-present), rumors about potential successors have been flying around. We in the Daily Arts Department have our own opinions on who could best fill the long-time host's shoes.

• Editorial | This is why we can't have nice things

The weekend late-night dining operation at the Commons in the Mayer Campus Center has rolled back its closing time from 2 a.m. to 1 a.m. in an apparent attempt to alleviate the stress placed on the facility and Tufts Dining Services (TUDS) employees by generally unruly and inebriated students in search of food.

• University making upgrades to facilities

Construction projects on each of the university's three campuses have recently been completed, while others are underway or in the planning process, according to Director of Project Administration and University Maintenance Rudi Pizzi. The uphill central heating plant project that began in October to replace old tanks with ones for natural gas is nearing completion, Pizzi said.

• Holocaust survivor speaks about healing, forgiveness

Holocaust survivor Eva Mozes Kor delivered a keynote lecture on the importance of forgiveness yesterday as part of the Cummings / Hillel Program for Holocaust and Genocide Education. Kor was introduced by Neubauer Executive Director of Hillel Rabbi Jeffrey Summit and Joe Philipson, the Mayerson Social Justice Fellow at the Hillel.

• annesauer

University Archivist Anne Sauer leaves Tufts Digital Collections and Archives

Anne Sauer (LA '91, G '98), the former director of Tufts Digital Collections and Archives (DCA) and university archivist, last Monday joined the staff of the Cornell University Library as director of the rare and manuscript collections. A double Jumbo, Sauer earned her undergraduate and graduate degrees, both in history, here on the Hill.

• Editorial | TCU Senate deserves recognition for successes

The TCU Senate, which held its elections yesterday, has in the past faced an uphill battle against low turnout and attention to its policies, except for controversial matters such as the debates over the exemption policy for religious groups. While the results and turnout percentages for yesterday's election have yet to be released as this is being written, it's unlikely that the low turnout trend will have suddenly shifted.

• Men's Tennis | Tufts splits matches against Williams, Hamilton

It isn't common for a team to have two matches scheduled on the same day, at the same time, but that's exactly what happened for the men's tennis team last Saturday. With a large squad, the team divided in half to play one match at Hamilton and another at No.

• Gordon Institute sponsors inaugral Idea Competition

While Tufts is known for its emphasis on "active citizenship," a growing number of students and faculty are wishing to bring "entrepreneurship" closer to the forefront of the university experience. The Gordon Institute, founded in 1984, seeks to assist inspired Tufts students as they bring their ideas to life through a variety of educational programs and annual competitions.

• Students launch social app WeParty for campus events

Four Tufts freshmen on March 27 launched a new smartphone application, WeParty, which allows Tufts students to view locations of various parties and social events on and off campus. Co-founder and Co-CEO of WeParty Kofi Asante explained that he and three friends decided to create an app after struggling to find events on campus.

• Crew | Both teams have strong starts to spring seasons

The men's crew team competed for its first time this semester over the weekend, rowing in one race on Saturday and two on Sunday, winning all three. The varsity eight started the day on Sunday with a very close, one-length victory over Hamilton on the Malden River.

• Baseball | Jumbos sweep Saturday doubleheader

The baseball team keeps on rolling. Tufts outscored Colby-Sawyer 20-0 Saturday in a doubleheader sweep at Huskins Field, followed by a 12-7 win over Mass. Maritime last night to improve to 17-1 overall and extend its winning streak to nine games.    Tufts won the first game of the doubleheader 6-0 and the second game 14-0, continuing a trend of beating up on non-league foes.

• Engineers Without Borders holds 5K fundraiser

Engineers Without Borders (EWB), an interdisciplinary group of engineers and liberal arts students, this past Saturday morning held a five kilometer (5K) run/walk to raise money for the group's sustainable development projects in El Salvador and Uganda.

• Computer Science limits course registration, makes additional efforts to expand

As students from both the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering flock to computer science courses, classes are filled to capacity and have maintained lengthy wait lists this semester as the department struggles to meet the growing student demand.

• Lex Erath | Sugar & Spice

Breaking Up

We all know breakups suck. As much as I usually try to twist things around in this column, there's really not much I can do with simple facts of life. Breakups suck. Dewick is better than Carm. The Joey is not on time. Things like this are just so inarguable that the sooner the uphill freshmen accept it, the better things will be for everyone.

• Natalie Girshman | Love on screen

Better off friends

All the various romantic tropes have been deployed, the unresolved sexual tension has been lingering for ages, the fans are practically panting in anticipation and finally — finally — the two people in a couple get together (or are on the verge of doing so).

• lhjjh

Men's Lacrosse | Ephs upset No. 6 Jumbos

The No. 6 men’s lacrosse team suffered a surprising loss to unranked Williams this past Tuesday, by a score of 15-8. The loss was Tufts’ second of the season, dropping the team to 7-2 overall and 4-1 in the NESCAC. The Ephs’ balanced offensive attack saw eight different players score goals and four more contribute assists, while the Jumbos’ national-best offense tallied a season-low eight goals.

• kjhkjh

Women's Lacrosse | Tufts unable to overcome Williams, falls to 1-4 at home

Before Wednesday’s game, No. 18 Tufts was 2-2 in the NESCAC and desperately needed a win to remain in the running for the conference title. However, the Jumbos were unable to upset the No. 12 Williams Ephs, who came away with a 10-5 victory. Prior to this game, Tufts had been averaging 11.

• kljhkjh

Gallery Review | ‘Quilts and Color’ delivers vibrant experience

Color theory and collector’s vision offer visual pleasure

“Quilts and Color: The Pilgrim/Roy Collection,” which opened on Tuesday in the Gund Gallery in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (MFA), is not what you might expect from a show on historical textiles. This exhibition of 58 bright patterned quilts is informed by color theory and the rich expertise of its collectors to offer an exhilarating new way to engage with quilts as an art form.

• hjkhk

Avicii falls short on latest remix album

Swedish musician Tim Bergling, better known as Avicii, has (so far) had a short but remarkable career. Five years ago, he was just a small-time house producer who was creating club records. Now, with huge hits like “Levels” (2011), “Wake Me Up” (2013) and “Hey Brother” (2013), he’s almost a household name and stands at the forefront of the electronic music industry.

• weekender

Tufts Art Gallery brings contemporary pieces to Boston art scene

Public art generally does not aim to incite controversy — after all, these sorts of open-area murals and sculptures are usually installed to visually enhance their surroundings and engage the community. However, recently pieces on least two Boston-area campuses, including Tufts, have accomplished just that.

• modelun

Tufts Model UN seeks continued growth

Last weekend, the Tufts Model United Nations (MUN) team competed in the Five College Model United Nations Conference (FCMUN) hosted by Mount Holyoke College to mark the team’s fourth and final conference of the year.

• Professor to receive award for public work

Robinson Professor of Chemistry David Walt will receive the Gustavus John Esselen Award from the Northeastern Section of the American Chemical Society (ACS) during an April 10 ceremony in Cambridge, Mass.     The award recognizes a chemist who has done significant work to benefit the public interest, according to Karen Piper, secretary to the Esselen Committee.

• ethanchan

Acceptance rate drops 10 percent in last five years

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions released its remaining admissions decisions last Friday, which include a record-low 17.4 percent acceptance rate for the Class of 2018.     With 19,075 applications for next year’s freshman class, this is the third record-high pool Tufts has received in the last four years, according to Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Lee Coffin.

• twelthnight

Bare Bodkin opens spring show ‘Twelfth Night’ Friday

Tufts students will perform outside for Tufts community

If you hear singing from the top of Nathan Tufts Park near the Powder House this weekend, do not be alarmed. If you climb to the top of the hill, you will find a group of Tufts students performing Shakespeare. Bare Bodkin’s production of “Twelfth Night” will be opening Friday at 2 p.

• summer study

High school students to live in South Hall for Tufts Summer Study

For the first time, Tufts Summer Study is offering select rising high school seniors a chance to live in South Hall this summer. Eligible students must be between 16- and 18-years-old and be taking at least one Tufts Summer Session course for academic credit, according to the Tufts Summer School session website.

• zbt

ZBT to host day of charity, advocacy on Friday

The brothers of Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) fraternity will host a “Tufts Gives Back” event this Friday which will consist of a bone marrow registration drive and a used book sale and donation drive. According to ZBT President Jason Brillon, the fraternity intends for the event to be different than other kinds of Greek charitable giving.

• youtube

Student groups, classes create new content on YouTube

In a widespread effort to increase the use of new media forms, the video sharing website YouTube is being used by a wider variety of organizations in the Tufts community than ever before. Tufts University Television (TUTV) premiered their latest web-series “Jules and Monty” on YouTube last month, while an Experimental College (ExCollege) course this semester titled “YouTube: Business and Creative Success” has specifically geared its curriculum toward the use of the social media website.

• chavezinterview

Interview: Diego Luna | Director of ‘Cesar Chavez’ talks newest project

While promoting his new film, “Cesar Chavez,” director Diego Luna met with the Daily for a roundtable interview to discuss the new biopic, which premiered on March 28. The film tells the story of Cesar Chavez, a labor leader, advocate for agricultural workers and founder of the National Farm Workers Association in 1962.

• Op-Ed | It happens here

Content notice: The Op-Ed below deals with issues of sexual violence.    When I was entering my first year of college, every adult I talked to spoke about how great it was that I was going to college — how it’s a more open and welcoming place than anywhere else.

• Op-Ed | It happens here

• Natalie Girshman | Love on Screen

Love, unrequited, actually

Sometimes, creators decide to take their love triangles to new extremes that are particularly cruel to their readers or viewers: everyone is in love with someone else, false hopes and hook-ups-best-forgotten abound and, in short, all love is unrequited.

• Album Review | Shakira delights fans, newcomers in new self-titled album

When a seasoned musician releases his or her first self-titled album, it is usually a hint that the album is a statement about the artist’s career and style. In the case of Colombian songstress Shakira, who has commanded serious respect in the pop arena for years, her self-titled album is a perfect snapshot of who she used to be, who is she is and, ultimately, who she hopes to be.

• TV Review | ‘Vikings’ paints visually vivid, emotional battles

For a show that features as much violence as “Vikings” does, the History Channel’s first scripted series, now in its second season, proves surprisingly poignant and emotionally vivid. The show — which charts the history of a group of Scandinavian warriors in the eighth century — centers around Ragnar Lothbrook (Travis Fimmel), a warrior and farmer who yearns to travel west into uncharted territory.

• kljlkj

Men's Lacrosse | Tufts cruises to sixth win of season

The No. 6 men’s lacrosse team defeated Western New England 18-7 on Tuesday in Springfield, Mass. The Jumbos improve to 6-1 on the season and now ride a two-game winning streak after their loss last week to defending national champion No. 4 Stevenson.

• jlkjlk

Inside NCAA: Breaking down the madness

With the Sweet 16 currently in action, and the Elite Eight coming up on Saturday and Sunday, March Madness is officially in full swing. The NCAA tournament, which began on March 18, has been a whirlwind of overtime thrillers, upset specials and for some teams, devastating losses.

• jkjlk

Album Review | Perfect Pussy crafts fiery, assertive debut

‘Say Yes to Love’ packs serious punch

Sometimes it is the most convoluted, indecipherable messages that are ultimately able to have strongest impact. This is where Perfect Pussy finds its strength; despite the group’s often hard-to-understand lyrics, their music is both powerful and compelling.

• Film classes document women’s history

The Independent Film Production class is filming a promotional trailer on the Academic Quad this Sunday for a series about American women in history. The series, “Half the History,” was created in collaboration with Five Sisters Production Company and the Tufts Department of Drama and Dance.

• Proposed NSA legislation prompts campus discussion of government surveillance

Debate about National Security Agency (NSA) surveillance programs on Capitol Hill have sparked discussions on the hill.     “It goes to the heart of an important and basic American right, namely the right to privacy,” Associate Professor of political sciene Richard Eichenberg said.

• Artsy Nugget | Major twist on ‘The Good Wife’ shocks fans

Plot twists may abound on television these days, but rarely do they make waves in the way a recent shocker on “The Good Wife” (2009-present) has done. (Beware, spoilers ahead!) The CBS legal drama’s latest episode sent fans reeling when it killed off  the show’s male lead, Will Gardner, played by the ever-charismatic Josh Charles.

• Cartoon Hangover delivers compelling programming

It’s hard to imagine that in this day and age there are things that cannot be aired on television. However, as content becomes more bizarre and contentious, particularly in the world of cartoons, writers and directors have been forced to find an outlet that gives them exposure along with freedom, something not always available on traditional television networks.

• The Artsy Jumbo | Sophie Maki puts culinary skills to test with vegan baking

Freshman Sophie Maki has a rather unique hobby: She runs a blog on Tumblr on vegan baking. When it comes to animal rights Maki isn’t particularly political; she instead prefers culinary expertise to activism.     “I’m not very confrontational,” Maki said.

• Women's Basketball | Tufts completes most successful season in program history

The goal of the women’s basketball team at the beginning of the season was to win the NESCAC Championship. By the end of the season, the team had not only met that goal — they had blown all expectations out of the water.     Despite being ranked No.

• coakly

Mass. Atty. General Coakley speaks at Tufts

Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley, a candidate for the democratic gubernatorial nomination, spoke at an event hosted by the Tufts Democrats yesterday evening.      Coakley told the group of students that they should actively participate in the democratic process and should take advantage of the education opportunities offered by the university.

• wmoen's rights

Wilson fellow discusses women’s rights and U.S. foreign policy

Woodrow Wilson Center Fellow Alison Brysk spoke yesterday to a group of students and faculty about the way in which the U.S. government uses foreign policy initiatives to promote women’s rights around the world.     “The feedback that I get from my students is that they would like to hear more about gender issues in international relations so we wanted to do something about that,” Professor of Political Science Richard Eichenberg said.

• Tufts students supportive of SAT changes, university admissions to deliberate

Major alterations to the SAT college entrance exam are the College Board’s most recent response to criticisms of standardized testing. For the first time since 2005, the Board announced a redesign, which will take effect in the spring of 2016, and free preparation tools that will be offered for the first time next spring.

• Music Review | Tokyo Police Club reemerges after four years with new album ‘Forcefield’

In their first musical statement since 2011, Canadian alt-rockers Tokyo Police Club have just released a studio album, “Forcefield.” Having all but vanished from the zeitgeist of the indie music world, this — the band’s fourth studio album — is a highly anticipated release.

• softball

Softball | Fournier’s no-hitter highlights Tufts’ 12-1 trip in Florida

The No. 1 women’s softball team started the 2014 campaign strong, winning 12 of its first 13 games on its annual spring break trip in Florida.     Tufts is coming off its best season in program history, a year that saw the team go 46-3 en route to a NESCAC Championship and NCAA title.

• Dental school implements streamlined international service program

Tufts School of Dental Medicine recently began the implementation of the new Global Service Learning Initiative, a program intended to streamline international service opportunities for students. The initiative, organized by a committee of four dental school professors and university administrators, aims to maximize the benefits of international service learning for both students and the communities they visit by standardizing all stages of these programs, including the application process, pre-service learning, on-site practices and post-service reflection and reports, according to the dental school’s Associate Dean of Global Relations, Noshir Mehta.

• Album Review | MØ’s full-length release introduces powerful new artist

Since emerging on the indie music scene in 2013 with her driving vocals featured on Avicii’s “Dear Boy,” Danish singer Karen Marie Østed, better known by her stage name MØ has proven that she not only has a unique sound, but also the musical prowess to give her strong staying power in the industry.

• Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor, The op-ed “An oasis of diversity in the Middle East” by Ariella Charny, published in the Daily on March 12, contains offensive denials of oppression and exploitation of peoples within Israel and the occupied territories both through omission and blatant dismissal.

• Op-Ed | University pass: a benefit for all

Five years from now, Tufts University will be a vastly different place from the one we know today. The recently passed Strategic Plan will play a large role, but the greatest impact will be felt from the 2017 arrival of the new Green Line T Station at College Avenue. 3 comments

• wtrack

Women’s Track and Field | Gould, Hieber, Harrison, compete in Nebraska

Three women’s track team members wrapped up their season at the NCAA Div. III Championships last weekend in Lincoln, Neb. Each athlete earned her ticket to the Devaney Center by setting a nationally ranked mark (top 15) in her event during the 2014 indoor season.

• Op-ed | How SJP is sending the wrong message

As a freshman, I found many of the demonstrations and events hosted by Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) in the recent week before break quite appalling. I was stunned by the implicit message many of these events sent about Israel as a whole. In my opinion, these events, at least from a neutral perspective, left a lingering anti-Israel aura, rather than a clear message of needing to provide humanitarian aid to those Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza.

• Editorial | ResLife can learn from Mayor Walsh

Just this week, the recently inaugurated mayor of Boston, Martin J. Walsh, announced his intention to launch a much needed city-wide reform of rental housing. In previous years, nearly every one of the tens of thousands of annual apartment inspections throughout the city was provoked by tenant complaints.

• Op-ed | More than just the sum of my parts

The old adage goes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But who exactly is this beholder? Any feminist will tell you that beauty should be defined on a woman’s own terms, but in many cases, it is the voice of patriarchal society that tries to be the so-called beholder for all women.

• Kevin Criscione | Ill Literates

Rhyme Time!

Try as you might, it’s quite a hard deed To find appropriate time to read Novels for pleasure throughout the semester Without it becoming a lame source of pester, Know this, there’s a way to stay literary That isn’t nearly as time-consuming or scary As committing yourself to the vast hours needed To ensure your new book will get read-ed, Literature comes in all kinds of forms Including one category that always bends norms, Whether haikus or free verse or whatever you call ‘em That’s right, this is the poetry column! So please excuse this gimmick and these lame rhymes But you wouldn’t believe the number of times I’ve found myself torn between dueling desires Raging in me like unquenchable fires The desire to pursue my bookish ways To satiate curiosity or vanquish malaise And the need to do all the things I must do The studies and whatnot I commit myself to, Sometimes it seems that I can’t catch a break To get time to myself for some bookish intake But luckily poetry offers a way To ingest dreams and stories that won’t take all day, Sure, there are lyrical poems and epics and stuff But as for short poems, there’s more than enough  For bite-sized punches of words so pristine That can fit nice and cozy into any routine  A poem a day keeps illiteracy away .

• Tufts Student Fund plans end of year events

The Tufts Student Fund (TSF) will kick off its annual spring campaign on March 27 with Tuition Runs Out Day and will run for four weeks until late April.  According to Assistant Director of Volunteer Management Alexandra Hyde, Tuition Runs Out Day marks when a student’s Tufts education is no longer supported by tuition alone, and private support from donors pays for student life through May.

• Cj saraceno

Scholarship fund created in memory of Class of 2011 alumnus

Three Tufts graduates, in collaboration with the Communications and Media Studies (CMS) Program, have established the CJ Saraceno Memorial Scholarship to provide financial assistance to students interested in a summer media internship in Los Angeles.

• mock trial

Mock trial team qualifies for national championship tournament

For the fifth straight year, the Tufts Mock Trial (TMT) team qualified for the American Mock Trial Association’s (AMTA) National Championship tournament which will be held from April 11 to 13 in Orlando, Florida. While two Tufts teams (TMT A- and B-teams) competed in the Opening Round Championship Series (ORCS) competition last weekend in Philadelphia, only the A-team will advance, TMT co-president and A-team co-captain Brian Pilchik explained.

• TCU Treasury update

The TCU Senate held a brief meeting last night to allocate funding to various groups. The American Chemical Society, a new group, received $383 in startup allocations; the Institute for Global Leadership’s ALLIES program received $1,450 for its FieldEx conflict simulation event; Tufts Action for Sexual Assault Prevention received $2,574.

• uhk

Men's Lacrosse | Tufts outguns Stevens in home opener

The men’s lacrosse team defeated Stevens by a score of 23-12 in its home-opener on Tuesday. The No. 4 Jumbos are now 3-0 on the season behind a six-goal, four-assist performance from senior tri-captain Beau Wood.  Tufts got off to a quick start, scoring in the first 10 seconds, but Stevens came right back in the first seven minutes of the game to take a 3-2 advantage.

• iuh

Whitney Hardy | Tufts community aids former soccer player Hardy in recovery

A day that began with two Tufts alums celebrating their engagement ended with one fighting for her life. While out for her evening run on Feb. 20, former two-time captain of the women’s soccer team Whitney Hardy (LA ‘10) was involved in a car accident, which left her with a broken leg and serious brain trauma.

• Men's Baseball | Jumbos to play 13 games in their first 10 days

Winter is still in full force on the hill. But in Virginia, it’s baseball season. The baseball team escaped the New England tundra yesterday morning and flew into Richmond to play Castleton tonight at 6 p.m. in Newport News, Va. The Jumbos will play 13 games in 10 days on their annual spring break trip, putting their preseason training — most of which has occurred indoors — to the test.

• jkh

Women's Lacrosse | Tufts unable to halt Cortland State’s onslaught

The Cortland State Red Dragons came into Wednesday’s game as the No. 4 team in Div. III women’s lacrosse — and they left Medford with a 17-7 thumping of the overmatched Jumbos.  Cortland State sophomore attacker Erica Geremia, arguably the best offensive player Tufts has faced all season, scored four goals and added two assists to bring her season points total to 21 in just three games.

• iuy

Album Review | Calle 13 displays maturity on superb new album

Calle 13 has once again proven themselves to be one of the most important and gifted group of musicians to have emerged from Puerto Rico (if not all of Latin America) in the past 25 years. Although many Americans might not be familiar with the group, Calle 13 is proving more and more deserving of attention with their groundbreaking and genre-defying work.

• Engineering professor launches app contest

Karen Panetta, the associate dean of graduate education at Tufts' Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and an active member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), has launched a software application contest, encouraging students to develop products that deal with world problems, like hunger and clean energy.

• Hillel promotes reading for local children

Around 800 children and their families from the Medford and Somerville area attended the 14th annual Hillel-sponsored Read by the River event last weekend. According to Alexandra Zeitouni, a member of the Read by the River committee, the students, aged pre-Kindergarten to the fifth grade, were encouraged to read books and complete book reports for the event.

• Department of Music seeks to unite on-campus music groups

Following spring break, students and faculty members alike will gather in the Granoff Music Center to participate in Tufts’ first-ever all night music festival. The event aims to provide students from both within and outside the music department with performance opportunities and to give students exposure to other on-campus artists with whom they may not yet be familiar.

• Event Review | Ira Glass talks shop, power of storytelling

The Boston Celebrity Series presented its latest performance, “Ira Glass: Reinventing Radio,” this past Sunday, continuing is 75-year long tradition of inviting talented performers from a variety of fields to Boston. On March 9, a packed house at Symphony Hall gathered to see a man with a familiar voice: Glass is the host of the wildly successful radio program, “This American Life,” which has been nationally syndicated since 1996.

• The Artsy Jumbo | Sophomore Pelluzzo performs spoken word, plays drums

It’s impressive when students’ passions take them deep into their interests. It’s even more impressive when their eclectic hobbies bring them into wide spans of activities. Lydia Pezzullo, a sophomore and cognitive brain science major, pursues music and poetry.

• humanity

Recent critiques on humanities, arts majors spark dialogue

Much of the recent dialogue surrounding the higher education system has focused on encouraging students to fulfill the demand for science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workers in the United States; some even claim that college students who study the humanities will face significant barriers when entering the workforce. 3 comments

• fashion

Fashion | Paris Fashion Week wows with Renaissance, Fauvist inspiration

Meryl Streep’s Miranda Priestly character in “The Devil Wears Prada” (2006) has, since the movie’s release, become an iconic representation of the fashion world. Priestly coolly says in response to an editor’s suggestion of a spring editorial focusing on florals: “Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking.

• Album Review | At the center of ABC’s new psychological drama “Mind Games” is a puzzling contrast:

For an artist whose heyday was in the late 1980s, Neneh Cherry has made quite a comeback with her newest album, “Blank Project.” One would think that being out of the alternative/electronic/punk music scene for such a long time would put a damper on the brash effectiveness of Cherry’s earlier work, but in her latest project she returns with an assertiveness that not only rivals the initial shock value of her 1989 debut, “Raw Like Sushi,” but also places her on the forefront of female-driven punk music.

• Editorial | Tufts must value humanities

Many have discounted the educational value of majoring in fields that lie outside of the science, technology, engineering and math arenas, yet an education in humanities is not the professional death sentence that it so often gets branded as. In fact, studying literature, philosophy and other humanities-based subjects can even be considered an essential part of all students’ educations. 1 comment

• Vet school supports local non-profits

Each year, Tufts’ Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine distributes a number of small grants, ranging between $200 and $500, to local non-profits. Started in 2010 by Cummings’ Dean Deborah Kochivar, the Cummings School Service Fund provides grants to groups based in both Westborough and Grafton, Mass.

• MOVIE REVIEW | ‘The Wind Rises’ is visual masterpiece, offers insightful social commentary

After years of threats that the next film — and then the next — would be his last, acclaimed writer and director Hayao Miyazaki has truly delivered his final masterpiece, “The Wind Rises,” which is loosely based loosely on real life events. The new film, nominated for Best Animated Feature at next month’s Academy Awards, is sure to delight audiences both with its incredible visual aesthetic and philosophical perspective on war and industry.

• Women’s Swimming and Diving | Tufts finishes seventh at NESCAC championships

Ending this season for the team, women’s swimming and diving took seventh place this weekend at the NESCAC championships hosted at Williams College. With a 1-6 record, the Jumbos finished off the season four spots lower in the conference championships than last year.

• Off the Hill | University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire

A college education used to be a no-brainer if you wanted to succeed. It got you a solid profession, out of your parents’ home and into one of your own.  Today, however, those who can afford the increasing tuition (first qualifying for federal loans) outperform their classmates and often land a job right after graduation.

• Editorial | New voter registration approach is step in right direction

The Tufts Community Union Senate passed a resolution at its Feb. 2 meeting, urging the university to implement a streamlined voter registration process for its students. The proposed registration process would greatly improve students’ ability to participate in elections and alleviate the chaotic voter registration process on campus.

• Op-Ed | New CSL policy excludes religious students

The Committee on Student Life’s recent decision limits and excludes religious expression at Tufts. The new policy, announced in an op-ed in The Tufts Daily on Feb. 6, prohibits religious student groups from selecting their religious leaders using the religious beliefs the group promotes. 4 comments

• jk

Weekender | Campus literary culture is exclusive, lacks creativity

Tufts groups form to remedy lack of inheritable literary culture

Last spring, the annual Tufts Idea Exchange (TEX) conference -- a TED-X style lecture series in which select Tufts students and faculty share their thoughts on various creative subjects -- included a lecture by Molly Wallace (LA ’13) titled “Putting the ‘Arts’ Back in Liberal Arts.

• Activist, former Black Panther Party leader delivers lecture

Dhoruba Bin Wahad, an activist and author who organized Black Panther Party chapters in New York City, gave a lecture yesterday during which he spoke about modern racism and social justice. Wahad began his lecture, “The Rise of Democratic Fascism: Post ’60s Revision of Black Radicalism in America and the Corporate National-Security-State,” by thanking students for attending and encouraging to keep up the social activism of previous generations.

• news

Bridge Professorships to join university’s schools

The Office of the Provost recently announced the two winning proposals for the new Bridge Professorships initiative. According to the announcement, these new professorships will bridge the different schools that make up Tufts University. One of the inaugural proposals will introduce professorships that connect the School of Arts and Sciences and The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, linking international environmental security and issues of political sovereignty, human rights, regional security and sustainable development.

• tedcc

Tufts Day Care investigates allegations of inappropriate behavior

Tufts Educational Day Care Center (TEDCC) is currently involved in an ongoing investigation of a teacher at the center who allegedly engaged in inappropriate behavior with children. According to Director of Public Relations Kim Thurler, the allegations are not for sexual misconduct or abuse, but for other inappropriate physical and verbal misconduct that was reported through the staff in late January.

• Senate discusses RA policies at weekly meeting

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate meeting began last night with an open forum discussion about Tufts’ Resident Advisor (RA) policy. The Senate debated RAs responsibilities when dealing with behavioral and alcohol related incidents and discussed the possibility of allowing RAs to serve for only one semester as opposed to the full academic year which is currently required.

• Symphony Orchestra looks to expand horizons

This year, the Tufts Symphony Orchestra (TSO) is exploring new opportunities by expanding its program on campus, as well as off. The TSO is one of the Department of Music’s 23 performing music ensembles that Tufts students can partake in. As a full orchestra of about 50 students, TSO offers members an opportunity to continue their interests in orchestral music regardless of their major.

• Concert Review | Arctic Monkeys perform raw, straightforward show

For some, concerts are a form of performance art — a chance for an artist or band to reveal a wild side or grandiose conceptual act. From the most extreme cases — Kanye West’s postponing of the Yeezus tour because a few of his outrageous props had been damaged — to even the most subtle interactions — like Taylor Swift’s occasional walk through the crowd — it seems that artists now find concerts to be a more intimate chance to put themselves out there.

• Men’s and Women’s Basketball | Basketball teams support heart health, cancer awareness

Those who have attended men’s basketball games this year have been exposed to a strange pregame spectacle. A very tall man — 6’8” to be exact — in a suit waits at the end of the warm-up line for each starter, performing their “warm-up” dances with them.

• Spoken-word artist, poet performs in Distler

Andrea Gibson, a well-known activist, poet and spoken-word artist, performed in the Distler Performance Hall last night in an event sponsored by the Queer Straight Alliance. Gibson’s poems focused on tough subjects such as sexuality, war, class and gender.

• Students see Valentine’s Day as opportunity for community service

This Friday, many couples will be celebrating Valentine’s Day with candlelit dinners, evenings in the city and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. Tufts students, however, are proving that there are many other ways to celebrate the holiday of love. “A lot of people think Valentine’s Day is a hallmark holiday,” junior Christina Moore said.

• tutv

TUTV takes on ‘Romeo and Juliet’

Students to release creative, fresh web series

A group of Tufts students have been working on a modern and virtual new version of “Romeo and Juliet” (1597) called “Jules and Monty,” an 18-part series that will be available on YouTube on March 10. The collaboration between student writers and Tufts University Television (TUTV) is part oratory narration and part found-footage.

• Lex Erath | Sugar & Spice

Make the 14th Your B****

I wonder how many of us actually look forward to Valentine’s Day. As in a completely genuine, totally unadulterated longing for the 14th of February. If you really consider it, it’s got to be a pretty small percentage, don’t you think? You’ve got the girls who are too busy dropping enormously obvious hints to their beleaguered boyfriends and gossiping with fellow hinters about the big day to actually feel real anticipation for the holiday itself.

• Sochi Olympics open with great artistry, minor hiccups

Watching the Sochi Winter Olympics opening ceremony was like viewing a performance of the Bolshoi Ballet Company performing “Swan Lake” (1875). Mystical, whimsical, beautiful and — at times — over the top, the entire opening ceremony was an exercise in elegance, extravagance and precision.

• Over 100 students participate in Tufts’ latest hackathon

About 130 students participated in Tufts’ latest, 24-hour hackathon, TuftsHack, which began Saturday afternoon. During the event that juniors Marcella Hastings and Will Clarkson organized, students worked in teams to develop and code software projects.

• TNSF

Tufts Neighborhood Service Fund awards $19,300 to local causes

The Tufts Neighborhood Service Fund (TNSF) recently awarded $19,300 in grants to local causes near Tufts’ Medford, Grafton and Boston campuses. Recipients of the donations, all non-profit organizations, included the Somerville Public Library, the Somerville Homeless Coalition, the Community Harvest Project and St.

• Fletcher fellow discusses changes in banking industry

Paul Schulte (F ‘88), a senior fellow at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, led a discussion last night on the growth of technology and its impact on the banking industry. During the discussion titled, “Financial Technology: The End of Commercial and Investment Banking as We Know It,” Schulte told the room of about 20 students that financial jobs are changing and will hardly be recognizable in the coming years.

• Women's Track and Field | Hieber smashes school record, Jumbos take second at Stampede

Although senior Jana Hieber did not compete on the same day as her nationally-ranked No. 23 team, she was still able to lead it to an impressive second place finish behind No. 2 MIT at the annual Tufts Stampede Invitational.  Hieber scored 3,622 points in the pentathlon on Friday, winning the event by over 400 points, smashing the former Tufts record and achieving  the fourth-best all-time score in Div.

• TV Review | ‘Parks and Recreation’ bids farewell to cast favorites

As Parks and Recreation goes on hiatus for the month of February to accommodate the 2014 Winter Olympics, Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) and her fellow Pawneans bid farewell to two central characters as Ann Perkins (Rashida Jones) and Chris Traeger (Rob Lowe) drive off to seek unwedded baby bliss in Michigan.

• tab

Sorority recruitment breaks records

A record-high of 308 students participated in this month’s formal sorority recruitment. This number is an increase from the 185 girls who registered in 2012 and the 172 who registered in 2011, according to Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Su McGlone.

• Album Review | Dum Dum Girls release nostalgic, infectious album

Full of droning melodies, lackadaisical bass lines and shiny synth, Dum Dum Girls’ third full-length studio release “Too True” is both fiercely nostalgic and outrageously lovable. It’s hard to turn this album off, and for good reason: The tracks will undoubtedly remind listeners of the music their parents loved, but at the same time, they incorporate elements of more current music into the mix.

• TV Review | HBO’s ‘Girls’ grows up — kind of

“Girls” is back. As her comedy continues to follow the turbulent lives of four 20-something women in New York, Lena Dunham — the show’s tour de force creator, writer and star — delivers a third season with as much raw and unrefined comedic flair — and heart — as ever.

• TCU Senate update

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate at its meeting yesterday unanimously passed a resolution calling on the administration to reform Tufts’ on-campus voter registration process. “Currently, there is no centralized and organized voter registration system on the Tufts University campus, which creates an obstacle to voting for the student body,” the resolution reads.

Tufts Daily Blogs

Features

Politics

Sports

Columns

Arts

Health & Science

Op-Ed

Reviews