Artsy Nugget | Following plagiarism scandal, Shia LaBeouf acts out

Published: Thursday, February 20, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 20, 2014 08:02

This past week, Shia LaBeouf continued his series of apologetic and attention-grabbing antics following a plagiarism scandal by starring in his own solo interactive art exhibit, called “#IAMSORRY.” Running from Tuesday, Feb. 11 until this past Sunday in L.A., the exhibit allowed visitors to sit across LaBeouf, who wore a paper bag with eyeholes cutout. On it read the message, “I AM NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE.” 

LaBeouf’s bizarre actions began in December, when it came to light that a short film he wrote had significant monologues and scenes directly lifted from a graphic novel by Daniel Clowes. LaBeouf’s film, “HowardCantour.com,” which debuted online late last year, starred Jim Gaffigan as a disgruntled film critic. Public outrage and disbelief continued when some pointed out that LaBeouf’s apology on Twitter was, in fact, plagiarized from a Yahoo! Answers definition of “plagiarism.”

Although the young actor “retired from public life” in January, according to his Twitter, he has still been drumming up significant media attention. He arrived at the premiere of Danish director Lars von Trier’s somewhat controversial new film “Nymphomaniac,” in which he stars, hiding his face behind a paper bag identical to the one he wore at his exhibit.

What comes next for LaBeouf is unclear, but it is doubtful that he will actually begin to stay out of the public eye. As for now, it sure seems he likes it there.