The Artsy Jumbo | Senior Colette Chretien reigns as queen of homemade fashion

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013 13:02

How many Jumbos can say that when they sauntered into Winter Bash, they were sporting an outfit that they personally created? Senior Colette Chretien is one of this small but proud minority.

“In high school, I just got it into my head that I wanted to make my prom dress, and I had never really sewn before so I just tried it and it worked out,” she said. “Since then, I’ve been really interested in designing and sewing.”

Though Chretien majors in English, her studio art minor allows her to put time towards her passions in clothing design and painting. Between creating oil paintings that resemble fashion photography, screen−printed bathing suits and creative Halloween costumes, Chretien sees a strong connection between art and fashion. This stylish Jumbo has even used her innovative Halloween costume designs as part of a portfolio presented to a faculty review board at the museum school.

Chretien hopes to go into fashion design after graduating in May and, for better or for worse, she has already acclimated to the “working down to the wire” environment of fashion. When guests were arriving for prom photographs back in 2009, Chretien was still putting the finishing touches on her peacock−feather dress.

“My friends were joking about how they weren’t going to let me sew my own wedding dress because I would be doing it right up until the wedding,” she laughed.

Although Chretien’s buds are looking out for their inspired friend, it’s hard to deny the potential greatness of that gown.

--