Theater Preview | 3Ps prep for thrilling production of ‘Copenhagen’

Published: Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 02:02

Tonight at 7 and 9 p.m. in the Balch Arena Theatre, Tufts University’s Pen, Paint and Pretzels (3Ps) will put on a production of the timeless play “Copenhagen.” Written by Michael Frayn, “Copenhagen” follows the journey of the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, played by junior Alex Kaufman, who is also a New Media editor for the Daily. The physicist went to Copenhagen to see his Danish counterpart, Niels Bohr, played by Artoun Festekjian, in 1941. Together they revolutionized atomic science in the 1920s, but now, it seems they are on opposing sides of the shocking Second World War. Their meeting, fraught with danger and embarrassment, ended in disaster. 

In “Copenhagen,” the ghostly spirits of Heisenberg, Bohr and Margrethe Bohr, played by Maya Grodman, attempt to answer the question: “Why did he come to Copenhagen?” Heisenberg and Bohr “draft” several different versions of this exchange and play out the effects of each possible scenario to try to work out the existential answer for the question: how can we ever know why we do what we do? Directed by junior Michael Roubey, this production is sure to be both thought-provoking and exciting. Expect a thrilling, stimulating evening — and the tickets are free at the Balch Arena Box Office with a Tufts ID.