Beyond Boundaries reaches $1.05 billion

Published: Monday, February 22, 2010

Updated: Monday, February 22, 2010 07:02

Beyond Boundaries: The Campaign for Tufts on Jan. 31 reached the $1.05 billion mark and is nearing its goal of raising $1.2 billion to support the Tufts student experience and to foster excellent teaching.

Beyond Boundaries is the university-wide campaign for pecuniary contributions that began in 2002. With $1,055,700,000 raised as of this month, the fundraising campaign has achieved approximately 88 percent of its goal, which the University Advancement Division hopes to reach in the 2011 fiscal year.

More than 105,000 friends, alumni, parents and groups have donated thus far. This level of donation shows trust in the school and its ability to persevere through difficult times, according to Director of Advancement Communications and Donor Relations Christine Sanni (LA '89).

"Tufts' global reputation in higher education and research, combined with its prudent fiscal management, have made it a resilient institution of solid integrity during these challenging economic times and one that inspires trust, loyalty and giving," Sanni said in an e-mail to the Daily.

Director of Public Relations Kim Thurler recognized the milestone as a testament to the university and its generous supporters.

"Reaching the $1.05 billion mark is wonderful news for Tufts," she said in an e-mail to the Daily. "It's a tribute to the generosity of Tufts' donors and to the incredibly talented faculty, students, alumni and staff across the university."

So far, the campaign has raised $369,387,790 to support students; $358,980,766 to support faculty and research, including 19 new endowed professorships; $537,309,697 for the endowment; and two gifts with the intent of having schools named for the donors.

University President Lawrence Bacow believes that the campaign has greatly enhanced the university's ability to support students and high-quality faculty.

"The campaign has already had a huge impact on campus," he said in an e-mail to the Daily. "Because of the campaign we have been able to double the amount of financial aid for students. We have been able to recruit countless new faculty to Tufts because of newly endowed chairs and faculty fellowships."

Bacow also believes that Beyond Boundaries has helped Tufts increase its support for active citizenship and philanthropy in concrete ways.

"It has allowed us to roll out the first university-wide loan forgiveness program in the nation for students pursuing careers in public service," he said. "We have created a funded public interest internship program."

The campaign has also funded the construction of new facilities such as Sophia Gordon Hall, the Granoff Music Center and the William A. Shoemaker Boathouse, and provided funds for the renovation of Cousens Gymnasium.

To make the final push toward completing the campaign, university advancement officials stress the importance of fostering meaningful relationships with donors.

"Successful philanthropy is not merely a matter of transactions — it reflects positive relationships," Sanni said. "It's about building relationships over time and about building a broad and stable base of support."

Sanni highlighted the importance of forming connections with alumni as part of this effort toward relationship building.

"We stay connected to our constituents by sustaining and strengthening outreach to alumni, parents and friends," she said.

There are now 68 alumni chapters around the world. With initiatives such as the Tufts Financial Network — which seeks to connect finance professionals — operating successfully and high attendance at career networking events and special events at Tufts and around the world, advancement is working to link alumni more closely to the university and communicate the significance of the campaign more widely.

Sanni explained that the impact of the campaign will continue even after fundraising has been completed.

"We strengthen volunteer leadership," she said. "We build a stronger culture of philanthropy and fundraising capacity that endures long after this campaign is over."

After Beyond Boundaries reaches its target of $1.2 billion, fundraising efforts will continue and Sanni hopes that the atmosphere of philanthropy the campaign has created will remain.

"Fundraising campaigns essentially amplify and articulate the ongoing priorities of the university — the formal construct or overlay we call Beyond Boundaries will end, but our work will continue; we will continue to engage alumni, parents and friends in the Tufts mission and seek to support our students and faculty," she said.