Brian Tan | Now Serving

It’s Tebow time!

Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012

Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012 07:10

He’s a gamer. He’s a baller. He’s a playmaker and a shotcaller. All he does is win.

Skip Bayless is his number−one fan. Mark Sanchez is his number−one competition. Hitting wide−open receivers is his number one challenge. Yes, he is Tim Tebow.

Sure, he is probably the luckiest quarterback in the history of the NFL, but it’s also been said that people create their own luck by working harder than others. I’m not here to convince you that Tim Tebow is an “elite” NFL quarterback. Because no, his last season’s 46.5 percent completion rate most certainly does not make him elite. Tebow probably couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat — hardy har — but if anyone could turn water into Gatorade by touch, my money is on big Timmy Tebow. I’m going to try to convince you why you should be cheering for Tim Tebow, the Chosen One of the New York Jets.

“They said I couldn’t be a high school quarterback. They said I couldn’t get a Div. I scholarship.”

The same guy who said these words was part of two college football national championships, a Heisman trophy winner and a first−round draft pick. He put up 29 points to win an overtime playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers earlier this year.

As a Florida Gator, his college career was as well−documented — and well−decorated — as one could be. With much fanfare and debate over his competitiveness, throwing mechanics, leadership and arm accuracy, he entered the draft with experts debating over where he where he would land.

“With the 25th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select Tim Tebow. Quarterback, Florida.”

Selected ahead of supposedly “more NFL−ready” quarterbacks like Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen, Tebow has been proving his haters wrong as long as he has played the game of football.

It is undeniable that he has been on the favorable side of at least a few bounces. In a Week 14 game against the Bears, all Chicago had to do to close out a win was run the clock down by giving running back Marion Barber the ball. But for some divine reason, Barber ran out of bounds, stopping the clock. It was as if there was a supernatural force somehow pushing Barber out of bounds.

“C’mon,” you’re saying, “that’s ridiculous, right? ... Right?”

The truth is, in 2011, nothing was impossible for the Mile−High Messiah.

What happened next wasn’t exactly as incredible as Jesus walking on water, but it came pretty close to that. Tebow actually led the Broncos into range to hit a 58−yard field goal to tie the game. In overtime, Barber inexplicably fumbled the ball with the Bears in position to kick a game−winning field goal. Tebow then marched the Broncos down the field again, with the kicker hitting another long field goal to win.

Coming off a 34−0 loss to the 49ers this past weekend and an abysmal performance by Mark Sanchez, Jets fans have started to ask for Tebow to line up under center. If coach Rex Ryan believes that Sanchez is the franchise quarterback, then the Jets’ decision to spend a third round pick to trade for Tebow is certainly beyond me. The Jets must have known that fans would start clamoring for Tebowmania once Sanchez would predictably falter. I mean, is Tim Tebow really on the team just to run an option or two and play on special teams?

Sanchez is probably quaking in his boots — or cleats — in fear of the inevitable loss of his starting spot. If he wants to keep his job and attempt to intervene with God’s plans, though, he should probably keep working hard, get down on one knee and start Tebowing.

--

Brian Tan is a sophomore majoring in economics and Chinese. He can be reached at Brian.Tan@tufts.edu.