Christiane Amanpour to speak at 2013 Murrow Forum

Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 02:02

amanpour

MCT

Chief International Correspondent for CNN and Global Affairs Anchor of ABC News Christiane Amanpour will address the Tufts community at the eighth annual Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism, according to Julie Dobrow, director of the Communications and Media Studies (CMS) Program. 

Amanpour, who has garnered numerous major television journalism awards during her career, has reported on many news events from international hotspots such as Iraq, North Korea and Libya, according to CNN.com.

“She’s a very seasoned journalist and really has been at the forefront of making this transition from a world of broadcast to a world of digital media,” Dobrow said. 

The forum will take place at noon on April 26 in Barnum 008, according to Dobrow. The event is free and open to the public. 

“We’ve been interested in having [Amanpour] come to campus for some time because she’s had such an interesting career,” she said. “The stars aligned this year and it worked out in terms of scheduling.”

The event will begin with an interview of Amanpour by Jonathan Tisch (LA ‘76), trustee and Loews Hotels chairman, following the same format as in the last two years, Dobrow said. The program will end with an opportunity for the audience to ask Amanpour about her career.

Dobrow believes the audience will find Amanpour’s perspective as a female journalist especially informative.

“One of the things that is unique about her is that she’s been a female journalist who’s gone to a lot of places that women haven’t gone and I think it’s going to be really interesting and instructive for everyone to hear about her career,” Dobrow said.

Dobrow speculated that Amanpour would speak about her career and current world issues, as well as changes in how people today receive their news. 

“I’m sure that [Tisch] will ask her questions about what’s happening on television news and what it means in a time when, particularly people in your generation, don’t watch television on a television set and don’t watch it when it’s on,” Dobrow said. “What does that mean for places like CNN and ABC? How are they making the transition to the digital world?”

The Murrow Forum is named after legendary broadcaster Edward R. Murrow, who left many of his papers and belongings to The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. The forum is intended to highlight important and controversial issues in contemporary journalism, Dobrow said.

“We feel that at Tufts we are very well suited to be thinking about [these issues] ... because we have a tradition here of looking at media within this larger social, cultural, political and economic context, and that in fact is what Edward R. Murrow did so very successfully in his career,” Dobrow said.