Editorial | Cautious optimism in Obama’s second term

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 08:11

After a long, challenging campaign against a well−funded opponent and with a struggling economy fo fix, Barack Obama was elected to a second term as President of the United States last night. In his second term, Obama will tackle issues including a domestic unemployment crisis, America’s role in the Middle East, possible Supreme Court justice nominations and execution of health care and immigration reforms. Obama began to address these issues during his first four years at the helm, but failed to live up entirely to the message of hope and change that he conveyed throughout his 2008 campaign.

It is our hope that the president’s re−election will allow for more cooperation across the aisle, something that was difficult in recent years with Obama’s re−election campaign looming. The national sense of frustration with the country’s slow progress will hopefully be abated by Republicans working together to a larger extent with Democrats and jumping on board with many of Obama’s progressive policies.

President Obama’s commitment to economic stimulus and investment, including his American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, should effect improvement to America’s infrastructure and investment in alternative energy sources. Our overall economic outlook remains optimistic, with a growing housing market and manufacturing sector, as Obama enters his second term. The president’s plans to continue investing in and seeking to improve education in community colleges are empowered by his re−election. Obama is also in a prime position to incorporate post−electoral bipartisan pragmatism to tackle our debt−ceiling negotiations as America approaches the so−called “fiscal cliff” at the end of next month.

On social issues, the president will likely have the opportunity to appoint justices who will preside over the legalization of gay marriage in the Supreme Court, the preservation of a woman’s right to have an abortion guaranteed in Roe v. Wade and the full implementation of his landmark achievement, the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, which will hopefully begin the process of cutting costs and improving nationwide health insurance access.

We expect that Obama will continue to support Planned Parenthood and measures for equality for women in the workplace. Sensible and inclusive immigration reform will also undoubtedly be on the agenda.

On the foreign policy front, the president will face an increasingly tense situation in the Middle East, which includes nuclear negotiations with an uncooperative and hostile Iranian regime. He will also have to address the economic troubles in East Asia, particularly China. The president’s facility in international diplomacy will be tested, but he is capable of bringing his calm and belief in international cooperation to a field in which America has struggled in recent years.

Obama’s victory was hard−fought and split the country nearly in half based on, as of press time, the popular vote count. However, we should still carry our hope for real change — the platform that carried Obama to his post four years ago. Fulfilling these goals was a challenge throughout Obama’s first term.

But in re−electing Obama, progressive solutions to the issues of health care reform, gay rights, a better economy, a future for students and the average American, green energy innovation and immigration reform have all been supported and encouraged.

Though Obama’s next term is sure to bring heavy challenges, his victory speech indicated his determination to keep the country moving forward, progress that we cautiously hope will come in the next four years.