Editorial | Kosher deli is welcome addition

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012 08:11

This spring, Tufts Dining Services will open a kosher deli in response to student interest. The deli will be located where the Jumbo Express storage space is and will provide kosher hot dogs, deli meat sandwiches, salads and soups.

Director of Dining and Business Services Patricia Klos has noted that the addition of a permanent kosher meal station at Dewick−MacPhie or Carmichael Dining Center is an eventual end goal.

The money for the creation of this deli comes from an accumulation of budgeted Dining Services money. While this money could have been used in other ways, such as upgrading vegan and vegetarian options in the dining halls, the addition of a full−time kosher meal provider on the Tufts campus is both useful for students who abide by the Jewish dietary laws and potentially beneficial to the strength of the student body at Tufts.

Currently, a student who abides by a high level of kashrut, or kosher law, would be unable to eat any food whatsoever at the dining halls, as they do not run a kosher kitchen. A student who does not observe kashrut as strictly would be able to eat at the dining halls, but unable to eat any of the meat provided there. Students who fit into either category will now be able to conveniently and consistently find a kosher meal provider, thanks to the new deli.

Prospective students, too, will benefit from this facility. Observant Jews could be more likely to come to Tufts because their dietary restrictions will be more readily accommodated. By joining the list of schools that offer kosher dining — Brandeis University and Boston University, to name two in the area — Tufts can diversify campus culture and increase the quality of incoming classes.

Concurrently, Dining Services plans to initiate dialogue between itself and other student groups whose members have potential dietary restrictions, such as the International Center and the Muslim Students Association. The more students TUDS can accommodate, the better, and the Daily urges Dining Services to continue working to provide for students’ cultural dietary requirements.