Farm−share program sells out for fall semester

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

Updated: Monday, December 3, 2012 07:12

This semester, Tufts’ community supported agriculture (CSA) farm−share program, comprised of shares of fresh fruits and vegetables from nearby Enterprise Farm and World PEAS CSA, successfully sold out the 48 shares available to members of the Tufts community.

The program, which began last semester and promotes sustainable agricultural practices, provides students, staff and faculty with an alternative and convenient way to buy shares of organic fruits and vegetables. CSA will wrap up its second semester at Tufts with a final delivery of fresh produce on Dec. 5.

“[Enterprise] is really happy with the turnout at Tufts,” Office of Sustainability (OOS) Communications and Outreach Specialist Fannie Koa said.

The shares have been delivered each week to the OOS in Miller Hall, where students can pick up their purchases and leave their boxes for the next delivery.

“Last spring was the first pilot of the program and not a lot of people knew about it, but we still got a great turnout,” Koa said, noting that the program’s popularity will likely continue to increase.

In addition to the year−round academic shares offered by Enterprise Farm located in South Deerfield, Mass., World PEAS distributes shares to the Tufts community during the fall and summer seasons.

“We have two shares currently, World PEAS and Enterprise,” OOS Intern Dani Jenkins, a senior, said. “Enterprise has an academic share, so that means essentially that during breaks they don’t deliver shares, but every week that Tufts is in session they deliver shares.”

The Tufts Sustainability Collective (TSC), along with Tufts Culinary Society and Balance Your Life, collaborated with Enterprise Farm last semester to create an academic share that caters to students’ schedules and the Tufts academic calendar, according to TSC co−director Katie Segal.

“We wanted to pair up with Enterprise Farm so people would be more aware of the local food opportunities that were available in the area and partner with the farmers,” Segal, a junior, said.

Koa explained that Enterprise Farm is one of the only farms that offers a winter share, and that World PEAS will not resume delivery to campus until next summer.

Enterprise Farm is able to sell produce during the winter season because it has access to fruits from states across the East Coast, including Florida and Georgia, according to Koa.

“[Enterprise has] a year−round farm share because they partner with farms in the region and aren’t just limiting themselves to farms in New England or near them,” she said.

The OOS is currently gauging interest in a winter share that runs from December through the beginning of May for those who are staying on or near campus during winter break, Koa said, but the introduction of a winter CSA depends on the number of people who sign up for such a service.

“Enterprise runs their regular winter share, which is from last week until the beginning of May, so there’s two extra months of vegetables in December and in January,” she said. “For the people who are staying local and not traveling home, they might want to keep getting their vegetables in December and January.”

Koa said that sign−ups for the spring academic share are now open and expects the spots to fill up quickly.

“The nice thing with the farm−share is you know it’s organic, you know it was grown sustainably, you’re supporting someone’s farm and that’s great, and it’s completely tailored for [Tufts],” she said.