• isis

One year later, iSIS receives mixed reviews from students, faculty

The creators of the Integrated Student Information System (iSIS), as well as the students and faculty who use it, have mixed views one year after its implementation.     The planning for iSIS, which launched in 2011, began several years ago with the intention to integrate student services across Tufts' campuses, according to the project's website.

• Historic Union Square post office up for sale, causes local concern

The Union Square post office, located a few miles from Tufts, holds both cultural and historical significance to the Somerville community. Recently, the United States Postal Service (USPS) has decided to close the post office and put it on the market.

• jklj

Green Line extension brings concerns for housing availability in Somerville

Over the next five years, the Green Line will extend into Somerville, ending on College Avenue. Two of the planned stops -- at Washington Street and in Union Square -- are scheduled to open in 2017. City planners are discussing the changes, analyzing the ways in which the plan’s advantages and disadvantages will be addressed.

• WMFO provides students with creative outlet for over 40 years

WMFO, Tufts University's radio station and one of the oldest college stations in the country, is run by both students and community volunteers. Radio broadcasts run 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and in recent years, student DJs have brought new energy to this long-running radio program.

• Gordon Institute sponsors inaugral Idea Competition

While Tufts is known for its emphasis on "active citizenship," a growing number of students and faculty are wishing to bring "entrepreneurship" closer to the forefront of the university experience. The Gordon Institute, founded in 1984, seeks to assist inspired Tufts students as they bring their ideas to life through a variety of educational programs and annual competitions.

• ljhkjh

‘It Happens Here’ offers new forum for conversation about sexual violence

Last fall, University President Anthony Monaco named sexual assault as one the most important issues on campus, and created a university-wide sexual assault task force to address and prevent sexual misconduct at Tufts. Currently, the university is in the process of hiring a Sexual Misconduct Prevention Specialist, who will work to develop sexual assault prevention programming.

• youtube

Student groups, classes create new content on YouTube

In a widespread effort to increase the use of new media forms, the video sharing website YouTube is being used by a wider variety of organizations in the Tufts community than ever before. Tufts University Television (TUTV) premiered their latest web-series “Jules and Monty” on YouTube last month, while an Experimental College (ExCollege) course this semester titled “YouTube: Business and Creative Success” has specifically geared its curriculum toward the use of the social media website.

• kljlj

Despite progress for club sports, funds remain insufficient

Over the past few years, Tufts’ club sports has expanded to include more teams and, consequently, more students. As the program has grown, however, the process of managing and financing club sports has become increasingly complex. Three years ago marked the beginning of the expansion of the program, according to Assistant Director of Athletics Branwen Smith-King.

• Department of Music seeks to unite on-campus music groups

Following spring break, students and faculty members alike will gather in the Granoff Music Center to participate in Tufts’ first-ever all night music festival. The event aims to provide students from both within and outside the music department with performance opportunities and to give students exposure to other on-campus artists with whom they may not yet be familiar.

• jkl

ExCollege celebrates 50 years of student inclusion, curriculum expansion

This year, the Experimental College (ExCollege) at Tufts University marks its 50th anniversary since it established its first course on comparative literature in 1964. After marking a new wave of interdisciplinary learning in liberal arts education, the program has continued to expand and adapt to the needs of student and faculty alike.

• humanity

Recent critiques on humanities, arts majors spark dialogue

Much of the recent dialogue surrounding the higher education system has focused on encouraging students to fulfill the demand for science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workers in the United States; some even claim that college students who study the humanities will face significant barriers when entering the workforce. 3 comments

• Tufts ranks high for producing Peace Corps volunteers

Tufts University ranked ninth among top medium-sized schools that produce Peace Corps volunteers, up from 15th in 2013. Twenty-four of Tufts’ undergraduate alumni are currently serving abroad with the program.  Many students and officials have attributed the high number of Tufts volunteers to the focus on service work that is embedded in the university’s values.

• Swimming, diving teams faced with adversity after closing of Hamilton Pool

After Hamilton Pool closed at the beginning of this semester, many students were concerned: Would the pool ever reopen its door? Would the university be forced to build a new facility? Neither. Following a successful repair to a crack in its structure, the pool reopens today with regular hours.

• sob

Students launch local Boston music blog

The homepage for Sound of Boston, a recently established online music publication, provides a modern, professional introduction to the local Boston music scene. Featuring concert and album reviews, interviews with local artists and venue descriptions, the site explores the music culture of Boston.

• Wellness Center offers health care to employees, spouses, partners

The Tufts Wellness Center opened last year to provide free health services and consultations to university employees. Founded last May, the center partners with Marathon Health, a company that works with employers to provide affordable healthcare for their staff.

• Proposed NSA legislation prompts campus discussion of government surveillance

Debate about National Security Agency (NSA) surveillance programs on Capitol Hill have sparked discussions on the hill.     “It goes to the heart of an important and basic American right, namely the right to privacy,” Associate Professor of political sciene Richard Eichenberg said.

• Tufts students supportive of SAT changes, university admissions to deliberate

Major alterations to the SAT college entrance exam are the College Board’s most recent response to criticisms of standardized testing. For the first time since 2005, the Board announced a redesign, which will take effect in the spring of 2016, and free preparation tools that will be offered for the first time next spring.

• Strong Women, Strong Girls impacts over 9,000 girls nationally, assisted by Tufts chapter

Since 2008, female Tufts students have worked with the national non-profit organization Strong Women, Strong Girls (SWSG) to help girls in the surrounding Somerville and Medford areas. The chapter has attempted to encourage female empowerment and promote service work by mentoring local young women.

• nat

Meet the members of the class of 2018

Nath Samaratunga: Midwesterner ready to bring smiles to the Hill

While many high school seniors just recently submitted their applications to universities like Tufts, a lucky few have already received their acceptance letters. With one of the largest applicant pools to date — nearly 19,000 — the class of 2018 boasts an impressive bunch of early decision applicants.

• Amendment to CSL policy grants appellate jurisdiction over Greek life

This past February, the Committee on Student Life (CSL) repealed a provision preventing it from hearing appeals cases from Greek life organizations, re-establishing the CSL’s jurisdiction over the Greek life community. Previously, all other recognized Tufts student groups had the right to appeal decisions made by the Tufts Community Union Judiciary (TCUJ) to the CSL.

• craft

Crafts Center increases programming, hosts workshops

The Crafts Center, located in the basement of Lewis Hall, has long been frequented by Tufts students seeking a space for a relaxing, art-oriented atmosphere. The center’s free resources are often used to complete class projects or banners for sports teams and clubs.

• Transgender operations to be covered in faculty health plan

The university’s faculty health insurance plan will this January offer new benefits to transgender faculty, including coverage for gender reassignment surgery. The expanded faculty coverage comes after a push from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community, according to Director of the Benefits and Human Resources Service Center Ann Mackenzie.

• otl studios

Local arts studio empowers adults with disabilities

Just off the Tufts campus, located behind Bello Field, is Outside the Lines Studio (OTL), an art studio devoted to providing a space for adults with intellectual and physical disabilities to engage in activities focusing on creativity, vocational training and wellness.

Features Columns

Features Columns