Fraternities hold open recruitment this fall

Published: Thursday, October 4, 2012

Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012 13:10

fratrush

Virginia Bledsoe / The Tufts Daily

Six fraternities participated in fall recruitment this year, extending a total of 56 bids.

Recruitment for the six Tufts fraternities that participated in the fall rush season  concluded last week with numbers holding strong from last year. 

A total of 56 students received bids from Zeta Psi, Delta Tau Delta, Theta Chi, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Epsilon and Sigma Nu.

The bids went out after a weeks-long process that began with “informal rush,” where fraternities welcomed potential pledges into their houses during the first few weeks of the semester. 

For the six of Tufts’ eleven fraternities that decided to conduct fall recruitment, the turnout was similar to that of last year, according to Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Su McGlone

“All those six had really good turnouts,” McGlone said.

Although spring recruitment typically draws more pledges, Interfraternity Council (IFC) President Tommy Castle said the informal rushing platform used in the fall gives fraternities more flexibility in how they meet pledges. 

“There is not one scheduled rush week,” Castle, a senior, said. “Chapters are free to open their houses to dinners, or whatever type of events they want to have.” 

This year’s events included barbecues hosted by fraternity brothers and a marshmallow-eating contest at the ATO of Massachusetts house at 134 Professors Row. 

“It is creative things like that that a lot of the groups like to hold,” McGlone said. 

The fall recruitment format gives fraternities a relaxed opportunity for brothers and potential pledges to get to know each other, an especially good set-up for returning students who did not rush as freshmen in the spring, Zeta Psi president Luke Sutherland, a junior, said. 

Sutherland said Zeta Psi held a casual event on a Sunday afternoon during the rush period in which prospective pledges came over to watch football and eat wings with the brothers.

“There is an advantage to both [fall rush and spring rush],” he said. “Some of the guys who come in the fall thought they were transferring, some guys didn’t have time in the spring then realized it was something they wanted to be a part of. The advantage to sophomore fall is you get another semester to make that decision.”

Sutherland said that Zeta Psi extended six bids this year, twice as many as last fall. The numbers vary from year to year based on specific circumstances and the composition of each pledge class, he added. 

“It’s up and down from year to year,” Sutherland said. “This year there were just more guys who missed out on it their freshmen year.”

The informal rush format in the fall is an alternative for potential pledges who may not be comfortable with the formal style of rushing that takes place in the spring, Inter-Greek Council (IGC) president Anthony Ferlan, a senior, said. 

“It can be less intimidating for some guys who don’t want to be going from chapter to chapter with 40 or 50 other people, whereas now they can meet people individually and make the determination on their own without the influence of the people around them if they want to join the organization,” Ferlan said.

Editor's Note: The original version of this article incorrectly identified ATO of Massachusetts as a part of Alpha Tau Omega, a national fraternity. The current version reflects this change.