Lacrosse | Men’s and women’s squads stay unbeaten

Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 07:03

Both the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams improved to 2-0 on the season and in the NESCAC yesterday afternoon with victories over Conn. College.

The No. 2 men’s squad won its home opener, 16-9, outshooting the Camels 53-38. Tufts was led by senior co-captain Kevin McCormick, who had five goals, and sophomore Beau Wood, who added two goals and three assists.

The women won 12-7 on the road; game statistics and box scores were not available at press time.

In a physical matchup, the men’s team converted on three of five extra-man opportunities. Sophomore keeper Patton Watkins played tall between the pipes, making 21 stops, including several saves down the stretch on high, close-range shots.

For Conn. College, junior attackman Andrew Freedman and junior midfielder John Lyons led the way with two goals and an assist apiece, but their efforts were not enough to keep the Camels in the game against a strong Tufts defensive unit. Senior keeper Rob Moccia made 15 saves, but he struggled to handle Tufts’ new-look offensive set.

Even while senior co-captain attackman Sean Kirwan sat out again with a sprained ankle, the Jumbos jumped to a 5-1 lead behind strong efforts from Wood, McCormick, freshman Cole Bailey and juniors Ryan Jorgensen and Geoff Sheasby.

By late in the third quarter, the Jumbos led 11-4, but the Camels answered with their own 5-2 run that extended into the fourth quarter and reduced margin to four. That was as close as they would come, as Tufts tacked on three goals to seal the win.

The men will next see action when they take on No. 4 Stevens Institute of Technology on Saturday in the first game of their spring break tour. The women will play their first of four spring break contests at Babson on Friday.

See tomorrow’s Daily for full coverage of yesterday’s games.