Letter to the Editor

Published: Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 08:11

Dear Editor,

As a community and a campus, Tufts strives to be a leader in the environmental movement. Since the 1990s, when our university took part in the Talloires Declaration and Dining Services initiated the compost program, Tufts has made it a priority to raise awareness about environmental issues and to implement the changes necessary to reduce waste and emissions. 

It has been brought to my attention that the Tufts Daily prints 4,000 copies of the newspaper every day. Each morning, those 4,000 copies are distributed to different buildings on the Medford/Somerville campus. Once they are dropped off they are no longer the responsibility of the Daily staff, and, other than the few copies that are archived, most copies are discarded by the end of the day or week. As more and more people begin to take advantage of the availability of articles online, more and more of these copies are left unread, in the stack they were originally delivered in. I do not know whether or not they are recycled responsibly.

I ask you to consider printing fewer copies of the newspaper each day in an effort to reduce waste on our campus. I understand that many thousands of people are on the Medford/Somerville campus each day, but in many cases, several people read a single copy of the newspaper. The Daily’s website has also made it easy for people to access articles they want to read in a much more sustainable manner. People would not stop reading the Daily if fewer copies were printed. If there is a contract with advertisers that commits the Daily to printing 4,000 copies each day, perhaps more ads could be displayed on the website instead. I suggest that the Daily should develop a method to monitor the number of copies that are left over each day and adjust the number printed accordingly. Please consider making these changes in order to help Tufts reduce waste.

Sincerely,

Hayley Welsh

Eco-Rep, Class of 2015