Letter to the Editor

Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 08:12

Dear Editor,

To everyone present in Dewick−MacPhie Dining Hall on the night of Nov. 16: first and foremost, we apologize.

Our behavior was rude, disruptive and unacceptable. We sincerely regret that our actions and songs caused distress or annoyance, neither of which was intended. In addition, we would like to formally apologize to the staff members of Dewick who were forced to deal with an uncomfortable situation for both diners and workers. We do not feel that it was a good reflection of our values, as individuals or as a group.

The promotion of rape culture and sexual assault is intolerable. Joking about sexual assault is never acceptable, and we did not intend to do so with our songs. Reflective discussion and action has already begun within our group. We encourage other members of the community to let us know if they would like to be a part of this process.

While this was not a Tufts Wilderness Orientation−sanctioned event, we are, as staff, always looking for ways to create an environment where people feel safe in their bodies, in their communities and as individuals. We hope to work with all students in the future to create such a safe space.

Once again, our apologies for what has happened and the harm it has caused.

Sincerely,

Nate Matthews, Pooja Beri and the rest of the group