Medford, Somerville residents head to polls

Published: Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 09:11

Residents of Medford and Somerville yesterday joined Tufts students at the polls to cast their ballots, some waiting in long lines in order to vote.

Arthur Ramsdell, a Somerville resident, waited 90 minutes in line to cast his vote.

“I think it’s the biggest crowd we’ve ever had,” he told the Daily.

Adam White, a Medford resident, brought his infant daughter with him into the polling booth and voted because he believes it is part of his civic duty.

“It’s a surprising race, not that there’re too many surprises in the way the state’s going to go,” he told the Daily. “It’s an important part of what we’re supposed to be doing as the citizenry.”

Many voters said they were more concerned about voting for the six Medford and seven Somerville ballot initiatives than for the presidential candidates. Medford Resident Constance Schere cited Question 3, related to legalizing medical marijuana, as a high priority.

“Marijuana was really important. I know a lot of people who have suffered diseases in which case marijuana has helped them alleviate the pain,” Schere told the Daily. “A lot of people who are against marijuana don’t understand it because they haven’t tried it. They’re afraid. They think it’s a gateway drug. I think that hinders people from making an informed decision.” 

Others were more concerned about the way the candidates would represent them on hot-button issues. Medford Resident Chandler Duncan, a Republican, voted for Senator Scott Brown (R-Mass., LA ‘81) with his wife, but could not support some of Brown’s voting record.

“We’re not real pleased with Brown,” Duncan told the Daily. “I don’t think he’s one of the better candidates that I’ve ever voted for. He supports Planned Parenthood, and he supports funding for abortion and contraception, both of which are things that I think my government shouldn’t be paying for.”

Somerville Resident David Courtney said he was so frustrated with the current crop of candidates that he abandoned both major parties and voted for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian presidential candidate. Courtney hoped that Johnson would garner at least five percent of the vote, allowing the Libertarian party to receive federal funding in upcoming elections and potentially ending the two-party system as we know it.

No matter their politics or priorities, residents shared excitement for coming to the polls. 

“May the best candidates win who will take the best care of the needs of all of the people of the country,” Medford Resident Laura Punnett said.

―Menghan Liu contributed reporting to this article