NESCAC Performer of the Week | Schmidt awarded, third of season

Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 01:01

After capturing two individual victories against Wheaton College Saturday afternoon, junior Johann Schmidt expanded the portfolio of his already illustrious athletics career when he was awarded with yet another NESCAC award for swimming and diving performer of the week for the Jumbos — his first of the season.

In the last dual meet of the year, Schmidt came through with a score of 375.98 in the 1−meter competition, along with a score of 377.55 in the 3−meter, to win both events for the Jumbos.

For the two−time defending NESCAC champion, Schmidt’s 1−meter dives were the best in the conference so far this season. His high score surpassed that of his next best conference competitor by more than 40 points. The junior already held the best dive in the conference for the 3−meter competition after his outing against MIT on Jan. 19th.

For Schmidt, this weekend’s outing is another step towards defending both his NESCAC title and his Div. III championship in the 1−meter competition which he captured last March at the NCAA Championships.

But for the Jumbos as a whole, Schmidt’s own success is yet another sign of the depth of a program with an already established diving core, as he is the third Jumbo in five weeks to be given the award. Two freshmen—Anthony DeBenedetto and Michael Winget—received the honor earlier this season.

With only one meet remaining in the regular season for the Jumbos, the Wheaton Invitational this weekend, Schmidt will soon find himself poised in defense of his titles as the NESCAC championships quickly approach.

--