Bill Richardson to speak at Tufts Energy Conference

Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:02

bill

MCT

Former United States Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson (A ‘70, F ‘71) will address the Tufts community at the eighth annual Tufts Energy Conference on March 2 as one of the conference’s keynote speakers.

The theme of this year’s conference is “Powering Global Energy Security,” and it will feature two keynote speakers and six panels during the weekend of March 2 and 3, according to Conference Chair Geoffrey Finger. Energy analyst Joseph Stanislaw is the other confirmed keynote speaker.

Richardson, a Tufts alumnus, is also the former governor of New Mexico and former United States ambassador to the United Nations.

“Mr. Richardson is really the perfect keynote speaker for this conference,” Finger, a second-year master’s student at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, said. “His experiences as an ambassador to the United Nations and as Secretary of Energy give him a perfect view of both the international and domestic implications of the challenges facing energy security.”

Richardson has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his work as Secretary of Energy and as ambassador to the UN.

“As governor, he ... [required] utilities to meet 20 percent of electrical demands through renewable resources, so he can really speak about the political challenges and potential for progress in the energy industry,” Finger said.

The fourth annual Tufts Energy Showcase will also take place during the conference, during which nearly 20 local energy firms will present and share information regarding the local energy sector, and many of these firms will be looking to hire, Finger said.

Other lecture panels at the conference will focus on international energy security with topics including Arctic oil exploration, energy initiatives in the U.S. Department of Defense and energy efficiency in China.

Tickets to the entire two-day conference are available online to Tufts undergraduate students for $10 until Feb. 16, after which they will be raised to $15.'