Department of Biology to move to new location

Published: Thursday, November 7, 2013

Updated: Friday, November 8, 2013 11:11

Tufts Department of Biology may move from Barnum Hall, the department’s base since the late 1930s, to a new space behind Anderson Hall. in coming years.

University President Anthony Monaco mentioned the potential move at a Senate meeting on Oct. 20. Department of Biology Chair Sergei Mirkin later confirmed the possiblity.

“There are plans to relocate biology faculty to the new science building behind Anderson Hall,” Mirkin said.

If the move is finalized, it will take place three years from now, he added.

Although the changes are still far in the future, the relocation would provide the biology department with new facilities and resources better equipped for the modern study of biology, Thurler said.

“For some time, the university has recognized a need for additional space to serve students and faculty in these disciplines,” she said. “There has been preliminary discussion of creating a facility for science and engineering.”

According to Thurler, in these departments, the current state and size of faculty, classes and students may require an expansion to maintain the university’s high standard of education and research. 

Thurler continued to explain that the details are still very scarce and at this point largely undeveloped. 

“[The] thinking is in the very early stages and it would be premature to speculate on your questions,” she said.  

This article has been changed from its original version. It previously stated that the Department of Biology may move to a warehouse located at 574 Boston Ave. In fact, the department may move to a new space behind Anderson Hall.