Gallagher appointed new CIERP director

Published: Monday, September 9, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 9, 2013 01:09

Cierp

Oliver Porter / The Tufts Daily

Kelly Sims Gallagher, associate professor of energy and environmental policy at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, took over the position of Director of the Center for International Environment and Resource Policy (CIERP) this summer from Professor of International Environmental Policy William Moomaw after he stepped down in June.

According to The Fletcher School website, CIERP is an establishment designed to shape global developments into more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable solutions. 

Moomaw — a former chemistry professor who spent his career researching climate change, energy and international policy — said he founded CIERP more than 20 years ago to facilitate research on global environmental and resource issues. 

“In 1992, the program started with me teaching four courses to students who wanted to learn this material,” he said. 

CIERP, however, has grown considerably since then.

He explained that Gallagher was an obvious choice for a replacement to lead the program, which hosted more than 30 workshops, seminars and conferences last year. 

“When I retired, I wanted to hire someone to take over the center that was familiar with our policies,” Moomaw said. “Professor Gallagher was a student in this program, so she knows it very well. We are extremely fortunate to have her back at Fletcher.”

As the new director, Gallagher said she hopes to see CIERP’s presence on campus increase through the introduction of new programs, including new research measures with topics such as developmental economics. 

“We would love to invite a number of Tufts faculty to join our programs from a number of different areas, creating an interdisciplinary and cross-school collaboration type experience,” she said.

Gallagher, who also directs the Center’s Energy, Climate, and Innovation (ECI) research program, said she is interested in the role policy plays in developing more energy-related technologies around the world.

Another goal of Gallagher’s is to improve the center’s financial backing. 

“We want to endow the center because currently we are only financed by limited research grants, and it would be nice to have unrestricted funding,” she said.

The administrative change at the center comes at a notable time. Gallagher said CIERP’s 20th anniversary last spring gave her a chance to reflect on the growth of the program. 

“People have spent the first 10 years of the program solidifying its presence, and I want the next 20 years to be about broadening our impact through teaching, research and policy analysis,” she said.

Looking ahead, Moomaw, who will be retiring from teaching at Fletcher at the end of this year, feels ready to enjoy retirement. 

“I am in the process of figuring out the next portion of my life,” Moomaw said. 

“I plan to continue my involvement working on a lot of topics that interest me. I believe it will be an extremely full and active segment.”

Moomaw said that he feels pleased with the progress CIERP has seen over his time working at Fletcher. 

He credits Gallagher for a lot of the recent success and foresees a positive future for the center. 

“Professor Gallagher will do a wonderful job,” he said. “This whole period of time has worked out extremely well. I believe I left a structure that will ensure a continuation of addressing the critical issues CIERP deals with.