Joey bus causes three-car pileup outside Campus Center

Published: Thursday, January 30, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 30, 2014 08:01

hoey

Justin Rheingold for the Tufts Daily

The Joey was involved in a three-car pileup at around 10 a.m. Wednesday morning in front of the Mayer Campus Center.

When the emergency break inside the Joey unlatched, the bus moved forward, striking another car, according to Tufts University Police Department Sergeant Robert McCarthy. There was nothing wrong with the bus, McCarthy said.

“The Joey was parked and the driver got out,” McCarthy said. “As he got out, the break disengaged and [the Joey] came and struck that car, which caused a chain reaction with [the other] two cars.”

Alexandra Kiesling, a sophomore, witnessed the accident while walking to the nearby Richardson House.

“All of a sudden I heard this loud, weird noise so I turned around [and] watched the Joey slam into a car,” she said. “Then it was just a domino effect of cars rear ending each other.”

Few people saw the accident happen, according to Kiesling.

“The driver just got back into the Joey and backed up to where it was normally parked,” she said. “One girl didn’t even notice and tried to get on the Joey right after.”

No one was injured, and the Joey was not damaged. But the three vehicles in front of the bus sustained varying degrees of damage, according to McCarthy. 

A university employee owns one of the damaged vehicles, and visitors own the other two, McCarthy said.

Shereen Brown, a vendor who was taking yearbook photos, owns of one of the damaged vehicles. Her car, a red Nissan, sustained the least damage, she said. Its rear wheels lifted off the ground as the front end of the Honda parked directly behind it was pushed under the Nissan’s trunk.

“I actually got a phone call — ‘Shereen, are you the owner of a Nissan?’” Brown said. “I’m looking out the window and my car [is] not being towed. I have a visitors’ pass. They said, ‘Well, it [has] been in a minor car accident.’ Car accident? It’s parked. I ran out without my jacket, of course, because I wanted to see what happened.”

A different driver is now operating the Joey, which resumed operation a half hour after the accident, according to McCarthy.