New executive administrative dean arrives on Hill

Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013 02:03

Former Harvard University dean and stem cell and regenerative biology department director Kathryn Link last month assumed the position of executive administrative dean for the Tufts School of Arts and Sciences.

In the position, Link has begun to work with academic leadership to oversee all of the university’s academic programs. She replaces Leah Rosovsky, who left Tufts to become vice president for strategy and programs at Harvard University.

Link has worked in administrative positions at Harvard for the past decade, acting as an assistant dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and later becoming the executive director of the Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Harvard’s first joint department bringing together the school’s Arts and Sciences faculty and Harvard Medical School.

Link said that, when applying for the position at Tufts, she was attracted to the university’s commitment to good research, scholarship, teaching and active citizenship.

“I found Tufts’ leadership very impressive,” she said. “They have a lot of positive energy about the future of higher education and Tufts specifically. I think it’s the place to work right now in the Boston area.”

Link received a degree in history from Washington University, a master’s degree in applied linguistics and teaching English as a second language from Georgetown University and a degree in law from Vermont Law School, where she graduated magna cum laude. Before beginning her career at Harvard, she practiced corporate and real estate law.

Link believes that she is well prepared for her position at Tufts and that her strongest qualification is her liberal arts education.

“A liberal arts education prepares you for anything and everything,” she said.

Dean of Arts and Sciences Joanne Berger-Sweeney praised Link for her leadership skills in an email introducing Link to the Tufts community.

“I was struck not only by Kathryn’s credentials — which speak for themselves — but by her intellectual curiosity, her extensive knowledge of higher education and her collaborative spirit,” Berger-Sweeney said in the statement.

Rosovsky explained that during her time as executive administrative dean at Tufts, she spent a lot of time working on financial aid budgets for the School of Arts and Sciences.

“I was part of a terrific team, and things that are done in universities are done in teams,” she said.

Her new position at Harvard entails helping the university work toward the president’s strategic agenda, looking at issues of Harvard’s globalization and attracting top-quality students and faculty, Rosovsky added.

Link said that she was looking forward to arriving at Tufts for the spring semester.

“I was completely thrilled to have the opportunity to come and work at Tufts,” she said. “I began interviewing for the position before the holidays, and it came together in time to be a great New Year’s surprise.”

Since then, Link has been enjoying her time and work at the university.

“I’ve only been here a month, but I think Tufts has a really great vibe,” she said. “There is a sense of purpose here but also a sense of humor. People are truly engaged in achieving their goals and finding the best solutions to achieving their goals without a lot of pretension.”