New ID numbers, cards for students in August

Published: Friday, April 26, 2013

Updated: Friday, April 26, 2013 01:04

Caroline Geiling / The Tufts Daily

The Department of Public and Environmental Safety will issue new ID cards to returning students before the start of next semester due to a change in the ID numbers used by the new Integrated Student Information System (iSIS).

iSIS’ new ID number system uses a different number range, according to Administrative Services Supervisor Louis Galvez III. 

“There will be no more 9911 numbers,” he said. “That means every single student ID right now will have the wrong student ID number on it come August when this goes live.”

Though the new ID cards do not interact directly with iSIS, the many offices and departments that rely on iSIS for student information, such as the Student Services Departments and Public Safety, will adjust to accommodate the new ID numbers, according to Executive Director of Planning and Administration Martha Pokras.

Public Safety plans to begin printing and distributing new ID cards over the summer, beginning with students taking summer courses and graduate students arriving on campus before the fall semester starts, according to Galvez. Students living on campus in the fall will receive their new ID cards upon picking up their keys when they arrive.

Students will need to return their old ID cards in order to receive a new ID and will be charged a fee if they have lost their old IDs, according to the Public Safety website. After the new ID is printed, the old card will be deactivated.

For students not living on campus, Galvez plans to set up stations in popular areas on campus, such as the Mayer Campus Center and the Steve Tisch Sports and Fitness Center, where students can pick up the new ID cards.

“We’re going to try to make it as convenient as possible for the students because this isn’t something that they asked for,” Galvez said. “This is just a situation that came up that everyone who’s dealing with iSIS has to deal with.” 

Though Galvez said he has not finalized a plan for giving IDs to students going abroad in the fall, he plans to create a list of those students and delay printing their ID cards until they return.

“We’re looking for those exceptions — students who for whatever reason will be there before the fall or not be there in the fall,” he said.

The distribution system is based on the system Public Safety used in 2010, according to Galvez, when students were issued new ID cards with added features like updated JumboCash numbers and emergency phone numbers.

“We’re tweaking what we did two years ago, and we’re also working with every single school ... to let them know what we plan to do, get feedback from them and get something that works for both Public Safety and each school,” Galvez said.

Though the new cards will function identically to students’ current cards, the new IDs will look more uniform across Tufts’ various schools as well as list each student’s school affiliation within Tufts, Galvez said.

“Right now, on different campuses there are different templates for schools,” Galvez said. “We’re looking at creating one template for students that is consistent over all three campuses, and we’re looking at basing it on the Medford student ID for all students.”

Public Safety is also replacing the 10-year-old Picasso ID photo upload system, Galvez explained. Returning students who want to change their ID photo will be able to do so early in the summer.

Since the new system will go live on June 24, students should upload their new photos by June 21, Galvez said.