Police Briefs

Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 14, 2013 22:02

The great escape

The Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) at 12:20 p.m. on Feb. 8 during the blizzard saw two males acting suspiciously in the Lower Campus Garage. When officers approached them, the males started running. Police made contact with one of the males in question and learned that they had been smoking marijuana in the garage. Officers asked the male who his friend was, to which he responded that he had just dropped his cell phone and would contact the friend if he could go find it. He then found the cell phone, and the friend returned to the scene. Officers confiscated the marijuana along with a scale and a grinder. The males were not identified as Tufts students and were sent on their way.

Finding keg-o

TUPD at 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 8 responded to a security alarm coming from a house on Packard Avenue. While checking the house, officers noticed that the house next door at 100 Packard Ave. contained students drinking and a keg of beer. Police asked the students about the beer, and the students replied, “What keg?” The officer pointed to the keg, which was then confiscated. 

The abominable snowman

TUPD at 12:40 a.m. on Feb. 9 received a call about a disturbance on Packard Ave. Two males had reportedly been in a dispute with four Tufts students, and one of the males had pushed a female student into a snow bank. Police arrived on the scene and questioned the males. They were both Medford residents, and the one who had not pushed the student was intoxicated. The Somerville Police Department transported the intoxicated male to the hospital. The students did not want to press charges against the male who pushed the student.

Womanizer

Officers at 1:48 a.m. on Feb. 9 responded to a carbon monoxide alarm at the International House on 13 Sawyer Ave. Police had been there earlier in the night at 12:10 a.m. to order the house to shut down a party. When they returned for the second time, they smelled marijuana and discovered 40 people there still drinking. An officer announced that it was time for everyone to leave. A student made an obscene gesture at the officer and yelled “F--k you.” As the officer escorted him out of the building, the student shoved the officer a few times and continued to use profane language. The student was handcuffed and placed in a cruiser. At that point the student admitted to shoving the officer but said he thought the officer was “just some a--hole trying to hit on my girlfriend.” The student appeared to have been drinking. Due to the storm, the student could not be transported to Somerville Police. A complaint was taken out against the student in court.

Dazed and confused

Police at 6:30 a.m. on Feb. 10 responded to call from Carmichael Hall about an intoxicated female who had entered the wrong room. The resident alerted the hall’s Resident Assistant, who came back to look for the female. The female was not there anymore but was eventually located in another room with someone she knew. She was then transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Compiled by Jenna Buckle based on reports from the Tufts University Police Department