TCU Senate | Senate grants 11 surplus fund requests, including Charles Tufts statue

Published: Sunday, December 4, 2011

Updated: Monday, December 5, 2011 07:12

Last night, the Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate voted on 12 proposals for surplus grant funding, totaling $169,700. The body approved all but one of the requests.

Surplus grants are designed to be distributed to students who propose large−scale capital improvement projects. They are available to TCU−recognized and non−TCU recognized groups alike.

Should some of the $200,000 made available for surplus grants at the beginning of the year remain unallocated by May 2012, the money will be returned to the surplus fund for the next year.

The most heated debate last night took place as the Senate discussed a $100,000 request from senior Nathan Beaton, a representative of the Administration and Policy Committee, to fund a statue of Tufts' namesake Charles Tufts. Those present debated for 90 minutes before voting to allocate $25,000 to the project. The project is estimated to cost a total of $200,000.

Three groups, Tufts Mountain Club, the Sharewood Project and the Leonard Carmichael Society, were each given up to $30,000 in funding to buy vans for group use. JumboCast was allotted $13,600 to purchase a boxed van to help move equipment when filming athletic competitions.

Given the many requests to purchase vans, Allocations Board (ALBO) requested and was granted $30,000 to purchase an additional van to be managed by the Office for Campus Life (OCL) for general student group use.

Senate also approved requests from Tufts Robotics Club for $6,000 to purchase a 3−D printer, the Crafts Center for $3,500 to replace supplies broken when being moved out of Lewis Hall and Tufts University Television for $4,000 for a set−building project. The body also approved $2,600 for the purpose of purchasing more effective compost bins for on−campus dorms.

The body rejected a proposal from the OCL, which requested $36,000 to finish renovations to the Mayer Campus Center. The body largely believed that the request was not in line with appropriate uses of the Student Activities Fee.

The Senate also reviewed four proposals for buffer funding, money available for student groups at any point during the year to cover unforeseen expenditures.

The Senate approved buffer funding requests for themselves for $2,350 for preparations for their Boston Intercollegiate Assembly dinner and $2,821 for TuftsLife to buy a new server. The Senate voted to allocate $2,095 to WMFO Tufts Freeform Radio for renovations to Studio C, the group's auxiliary studio that has been offline since 2009. Tufts Christian Fellowship was denied funding for a scholarship.

--