TCU Senate Update

Published: Monday, April 2, 2012

Updated: Monday, April 2, 2012 08:04

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate at its meeting last night passed two resolutions. The Senate by a vote of 19-1-2 passed a resolution encouraging the administration to offer Hindi courses outside of the Experimental College. The resolution, submitted by Community Representative for the Asian American Center William Huang, a senior, was in response to the 20 percent of respondents to the Fall 2011 TCU Senate Survey who indicated that they would take Hindu or Urdu if those language courses were made available.

The Senate also unanimously passed a resolution pressing the university to increase handicapped accessibility, including bringing residential options up to Massachusetts Architectural Access Board requirements.

Additionally, the Senate approved a project proposed by freshman Senator Harish Gupta that would replace all dorm room locks with an electronic key card system similar to that used for entering many campus buildings. Gupta said that it would be easier and more economical because $50 per student is spent each summer replacing locks for the next academic year.

The Senate then passed seven buffer funding requests. Tufts Hybrid Racing was granted $2,850 for a charger and capital expenses. Tufts Freethought Society was granted $800 for a Harvard University professor to come speak. Anchord was granted $3,500 to record a CD and will pay the Senate back with the proceeds. Tufts Bikes was granted $1,550 for bike repairs. The Muslim Student Association was granted $1,800 for a football player to come speak. VOX was granted $7,500 for a panel of bloggers from Feministing.com, and Asian American Alliance was granted $2,651 for events this semester.

Finally, the Senate made a change to Bylaw 2, Section 9 of the Senate bylaws at the request of the TCU Judiciary. The bylaw now includes a subsection that reads, “This bylaw shall only be interpreted to forbid the use of Senate’s name in statements that are claiming to represent the body as a whole, and shall not be construed to prohibit individual Senators’ titles or Senate affiliation from appearing in connection with their personal positions or views.” The request was made following last week’s Judiciary hearing regarding the use of senators’ titles in a Friends of Israel advertisement in The Tufts Daily.