TCU Senate update

Published: Monday, October 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, October 28, 2013 00:10

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate last night hosted its weekly meeting in the Sophia Gordon Multipurpose Room. 

The meeting began with senators detailing their individual projects, including campus beautification projects, establishing a student-run bar and funding community service trips for international students. 

Senators also discussed projects such as granting students parking passes near the gym, creating a tennis racket-rental system, revamping voter registration amongst the student body and establishing a centralized database of local landlords to help students secure off-campus housing.

TCU President and senior Joe Thibodeau described his own projects, including the improvement of the university’s sexual misconduct taskforce and the development of a transportation taskforce

The TCU Treasury then introduced several visiting members of the Tufts Queer Straight Alliance (QSA), who requested financial backing for a planned trip to Kansas City, Mo., where a conference on bisexuality, featuring scholar Robyn Ochs, will be held from Feb. 7 to Feb. 9. 

The Allocations Board honored the request, but the Senate chose to allow only six QSA members to attend the conference due to finite resources. 

The Senate granted $2,868 to QSA, $300 to Tufts Financial Group, $516 to Beyond the Light, $945 to Association for Computing Machinary at Tufts, $3,019.50 to the International Club and $6,030 to the Vagina Monologues.

Senior Jon Jacques of the TCU Judiciary next announced three groups that had been newly recognized. These were iGEM, a synthetic biology group, as well as two consulting groups called 180 Degrees Consulting and the Tufts Consulting Collective.

During the closing announcements, the Senate announced that the Pan-African Alliance will host its annual Black Solidarity Day from noon to 1:15 p.m. on the lower patio of the Mayer Campus Center on Nov. 4.