TCU Senate update

Published: Monday, February 10, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 10, 2014 06:02

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate announced the selection of new senators during its weekly meeting in the Sophia Gordon Multipurpose Room yesterday evening.

TCU President Joe Thibodeau, a senior, announced that juniors Gordon Silverman and Robert Joseph would begin serving as junior class senators immediately. Additionally, junior Andrew Nuñez will begin serving as the Latino community representative and senior Grainne Griffiths will begin serving as the Women’s Center community representative. 

“This position has usually been filled by very strong members of the community, and I hope to continue that trend,” Nuñez said when Thibodeau announced his selection.

According to Joseph, no elections were held as all of the positions were uncontested. He explained that both a junior and a senior senate seat were open, but because no senior submitted enough signatures to be placed on a ballot, the seat fell to the junior class, allowing him and Silverman to avoid a head-to-head election.

Freshman Jessica Howard, junior Solana Davis and freshman Arturo Muñoz𮸠were named to the committee that will be selecting the school’s next Chief Diversity Officer, according to Thibodeau. He also announced that he will serve as a student representative on the Strategic Planning Committee for the remainder of the school year.

Senators met briefly with the new members of the Committee on Student Life (CSL), who said that they will be monitoring on-campus religious groups and the chaplaincy this semester. Some of the policy changes which these religious bodies have proposed were then reviewed. The Trustee Representatives, who met with the Board of Trustees over the weekend discussed the reception of their venture projects.

During the Treasury Report, the Senate heard from a group of students who are sponsoring a ski and snowboard trip to the slopes of New Hampshire this semester. The Senate granted the group $1316.26 by a 24-0-1 vote, and also voted unanimously to grant $250 to Autism Speaks U. Other allocations included $556 for the staging of “The Vagina Monologues” this weekend, $212 for the newly revitalized group Tufts Health Advocates and $696 for the South Asian Literary and Art Magazine (SALAAM).

The improvisational comedy troupe Cheap Sox, who recently qualified for the College Improv National Championships in Chicago after winning the New England Regionals for the first time in its history, were granted $1,960 by a 20-5-0 vote. The Tufts Quidditch Team, which will be competing in the Quidditch World Cup in Myrtle Beach, SC in April, was granted $3,453.45 by a 24-0-1 vote.

The Senate then debated a proposed resolution which would add a new education major to the school curriculum. The resolution cited a recent survey indicating that, “69.4% of undergraduates believed a major in education would be worthwhile to the Tufts community,” and said that the major would be a positive asset for students considering careers as teachers. The resolution was tabled and will be reviewed again at a later date.

The Senate concluded its session with an announcement of several upcoming events. These include an ice skating trip in Kendall Square this Saturday hosted by the Latino Center, the Asian American Center’s communal game of Jeopardy this Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Sophia Gordon Multipurpose Room and “Tufts Black Student Union Presents Rhythm and Voices,” an open-mic event which will take place in Hotung Caf矴his Thursday at 9 p.m.