Winter Ball to be held at nightclub, include raffle

Published: Monday, January 27, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 07:01

winterbash

Nick Pfosi / The Tufts Daily

Winter Ball, this year’s replacement for Winter Bash, will take place on Feb. 8 at Royale Boston from 6 to 10 p.m. 

The event will admit half the number of people Winter Bash did and will include an earlier start time and a new location at a nightclub instead of a hotel.

“We felt that as a school event, it would be better to sponsor something a little earlier,” Gia Rowley, a member of the Sophomore Class Council, said. 

There are 1,500 tickets available, and they will go on sale online today at 10:30 a.m. for $10, according to Mauri Honickman of the Sophomore Class Council.

The dress code will be semi-formal or cocktail attire, Sophomore Class Council Member Julia Turock said. Buses will transport students to and from the event, leaving from the Aidekman Arts Center at 5:30 p.m. and 6:15 p.m., according to Director of the Office for Campus Life Joe Golia.

Dinner will include hors d’oeuvres, such as beef sliders and flatbread pizza, Honickman said.

Event staff and Royale’s own security will monitor the club, she said, adding that there will be no 21-and-over bar because it will be a dry event.

There will also be a raffle drawing at Winter Ball where students can win prizes such as Celtics and Red Sox tickets, ski passes, dinner with University President Anthony Monaco and an iPad Mini, Honickman said. The money raised by the raffle benefit the Medford Boys and Girls Club.

“We wanted to have an element [of the event] to be to give back to our community,” Honickman said.

The raffle tickets will be sold in Dewick-MacPhie Dining Hall from today until Jan. 31, and the winner will be announced at Winter Ball, according to Honickman.

Golia explained that, although Winter Ball is not an event the whole school will be able to attend, there will be other events on campus that night for people who are not going to Winter Ball, such as a hypnotist in Cohen Auditorium at 8 p.m. with free tickets offered online.

Freshman Julia Van Winkle was enthusiastic about the change from Winter Bash to Winter Ball.

“I’m really excited for it. I think the fact that it’s going to be at a nightclub in the middle of Boston is awesome,” she said. “I’m not really worried about it ending kind of early because there will still be other things to do on campus after that.”

Rowley also expressed optimism about the new event.

“This is a nice way for everybody to get back together again and something to look forward to when we all return from winter break,” she said.