Not in our name

Published: Monday, April 9, 2012

Updated: Monday, April 9, 2012 11:04

pinkwashing

MCT

After a year of activism on campus, the Israeli occupation is alive in the minds of many students at Tufts University. “BDS: Undermining Peace”, an op-ed published in The Tufts Daily on April 4, was part of a larger discourse of student perspectives and analyses of social justice issues from positions of power and privilege, a discourse that has tried my patience and my hope for a productive dialogue — not just at this university but in our society at large.

Although most, if not all, of this author’s allegations about [Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS)] and Butler’s speech could easily be refuted (and here I encourage the author to follow his own advice and seek more information), I will focus on one particular sentence that broke the proverbial camel’s back:

“The BDS movement disproportionately singles out the only democracy in the Middle East, the only country in which women and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community have equal rights.”

This appeal is nothing new, and has come to be labeled as “pinkwashing” by many analysts of the minutiae of the Israeli occupation. Pinkwashing is a form of advocacy that has been championed by Israel; advocates of the current policies of the Israeli government engage in systematically offering an image of an LGBT-friendly Israel to the international community in an effort to distract from the atrocities committed against the Palestinian people. The argument is certainly a weak one, but it has been very effective: “How could a progressive and liberal ‘democracy’ also be guilty of apartheid or ethnic cleansing?” This line of thinking is offensive to any individual who wishes to engage the issue of Israeli occupation with serious political, academic and personal integrity. Anyone who is convinced to dismiss claims against Israel’s actions through this argument is gravely ignorant of modern political reality and naively equates liberal democracy with an inability to violate human rights.

Having said that, allow me to describe some of the overwhelming evidence of the pervasiveness of Israeli pinkwashing. Recently, Tel Aviv was elected the most gay-friendly city in the world after the Tel Aviv tourism board reportedly spent $90 million in a branding campaign. This included hosting film festivals, subsidizing gay cruises to Tel Aviv, financing pro-Israel movie screenings in the United States and depicting same-sex couples lounging on the beaches of Tel Aviv, according to the Israeli news site Ynet. A popularized YouTube video depicts a purported LGBT activist expressing where his true loyalties are (with Israel) because he wasn’t allowed to participate on the freedom flotillas run by “Hamas-supporting Islamists” who refused his help because they hated gay people. Although the video was promoted by the Israeli Government Press Office, it turned out to be a fake, starring a relatively unknown actor from Tel Aviv. The goal was clear: paint the flotilla organizers and Gaza supporters as Islamists diametrically opposed to LGBT rights.

Indeed, pinkwashing neither begins nor ends with Israel. It is a new form of violence that few queer people, and even fewer who live in the larger hegemonic and heteronormative society, have yet to recognize and combat. Let us take an example from Tufts University a couple weeks back. “No one at this is school is racist,” claimed the writer of a March 14 op-ed, and to somehow prove the point, he said “Gay pride flags hang from the windows of almost every dormitory and fraternity on our campus.” Though this may be true, it distracts from the issue at hand: racism at Tufts. No matter how much we love this university, as an institution Tufts does participate in societal systems of power and oppression, some directed at the queer community as well. Libraries could be filled with stories about these microaggressions. A parliament of flags across our campus could never erase the oppression lived out on our bodies.

The “Out in Israel” campaign landed at Tufts this past year and is funded in part by subsidies from the Israeli government. This campaign seeks to inform youth, especially college-aged youth, about how awesome being open about your sexuality is in Israel. However, being “out” in Israel is far from glamorous or painless. There are scant protections for transgender individuals in Israel, and marriage equality is a distant dream for the “democracy,” whose theocratic policies prohibit even non-religious heterosexual marriages. Dozens of prominent figures and high-ranking rabbis publicly condemn homosexuality. A gunman in Tel Aviv, 2011’s most gay-friendly city, opened fire in a gay club in 2009. There is no safe country in this world to be queer, and Israel is no exception.

3 comments Log in to Comment

Rose
Mon Apr 9 2012 18:48
Anon, the point of this article is not about LGBT rights or where it's easier to be gay. No one is saying that it is not easier to be LGBT in Israel that it would be in another middle eastern country, and it is certainly a good thing that Israel is fairly LGBT friendly. However, the "good" of Israel not discriminating towards LGBT people does not offset the larger bad of it discriminating against the Palestinian people. I believe this article is criticizing the fallacy of thinking that just because Israel does one good, democratic thing, it is not undemocratic in other ways.
dylansaba
Mon Apr 9 2012 14:47
Anon,

I believe you may be missing the point. The article does not claim that queer people actually have disproportionate rights in Israel, but rather that Israeli propagates a false dichotomy that is meant to demonize Palestine and draw public attention away from the occupation. As to your claim that "gay people have rights because [Israeli] is a democracy," if Israel was a democracy, then Palestinian citizens of Israel would enjoy equal rights as Jewish Israelis. Pinkwashing is very real, and is one of many tactics the state of Israel uses to attempt to clean up an image that is suffering in the global community because of years of colonial aggression, human rights violations, institutionalized segregation, and an illegal occupation.

Anon
Mon Apr 9 2012 12:10
This makes no sense, gay people in israel have rights because it's a democracy. saying there's this pinkwashing sounds like some sort of weird conspiracy theory. there's discrimination everywhere but it's probably easier to be LGBT in israel than anywhere else in the middle east.