Editorial | Acknowledging class councils’ work

Published: Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 09:12

This semester, Tufts’ four class councils have done a commendable job reaching out to the student body, organizing events and publicizing these events across campus.

Each council has had a lot on its plate. The Freshman Class Council will host the springtime Tuftonia’s Day, while the Sophomore Class Council is in charge of the upcoming winter event that will replace Winter Bash. The Junior Class Council was responsible for the highly praised Fall Gala, and the Senior Class Council organized similarly successful Homecoming celebrations.

These big-ticket events are in addition to the councils’ normal fare — events ranging from Senior Pub Nights, to the Study Abroad Fair, to Ice Cream with Jumbo. Smaller events have also been more frequent this semester, including ice-skating at Kendall Square, the Junior Send Off and a movie marathon for freshmen.

While this semester’s events been very well-received, one of the greatest successes of the councils is their advertising and communication with the student body as a whole: From creating Facebook events, to chalking, to word-of-mouth advertising, the council members have done an extraordinary job of connecting with their peers. They should be lauded for these efforts to engage the entire undergraduate community and ensure that everyone is aware of the programming they have planned.

In light of the bad press Tufts has received for Winter Bash and the cancellation of Fall Ball, it is encouraging to see that the councils are taking into consideration the administration’s concerns and student input to create safe and enjoyable events. Staff and students alike seem pleased with the revamping of school-wide events, and this can be attributed in large part to the class councils’ willingness to open up discussion and dedicate the necessary time to planning these activities.

Hopefully, the increased communication and inspired event planning will continue into the spring semester to create even better events than in years prior.