From the Editor−in−Chief | The Daily is daily — and more!

Published: Monday, September 20, 2010

Updated: Monday, September 20, 2010 15:09

Get ready: The truth is now coming at you daily, as we live up to our name and print a new issue each day of classes this semester. Coincidentally, that boring lecture class just got a little easier to sit through, with new crossword, Sudoku and Jumble puzzles coming at you every morning, too.

Today, we switch over to daily production for the rest of the semester after two weeks of putting out issues every other day while our staff got its sea legs.

But that's not all: We've got columns. In a similar vein to those of the Corinthian and Ionian brands, our columns bear the weight of the complex issues of our day.

To name just a few: Stephen Miller will argue a counterpoint to commonly held views. Former Primary Source editor C.J. Saraceno will discuss all things banned and ban−able at Tufts.

Daily Arts Editor Mitchell Geller will keep it real with a column that explores the joy of commercial hip−hop, bringing Soulja Boy to the level of Shakespeare and turning your Monday into Dre Day. Returning columnist and assistant copy editor Elisha Sum will shift his column's focus on gender issues to include more of those pertaining to men.

Along with Sports columnist mainstays Alex Prewitt and Ethan Frigon, Avinash Asthana will share his views on a sport not so popular in America, but beloved around the world: cricket.

Those of you who use the Internet may be familiar with the array of blogs on TuftsDaily.com that have covered campus news, arts, editorial cartoons and sports over the last couple years. This semester, we consolidated those blogs into two sites: Jumbo Slice, a blog on campus life, and The Score, our widely popular sports blog.

Throughout the day, Jumbo Slice (blogs.tuftsdaily.com) will serve up campus news, arts musings, editorial cartoons and a variety of other content relevant to those on Tufts' Medford/Somerville campus and the surrounding communities. Frequent posts around the clock — with tons of photos, videos and interactive features to boot — will provide a more credible, central and authoritative voice on campus news than checking your Facebook News Feed to determine whether that rumor about who's playing at Spring Fling is true or why that NECN news truck was parked by the Granoff Music Center the other day.

The Score (blogs.tuftsdaily.com/thescore), meanwhile, will continue to throw quality sports news and analysis your way throughout the year. As the fall sports season shifts into gear this weekend, look for live updates on athletic events and hard−hitting coverage of your Jumbo teams.

Now that we've blown your mind with ways to get your fill of Tufts−centric news, how do you handle the inevitable information overload? Sign up for a free newsletter with the day's headlines delivered to your inbox every morning, at www.tuftsdaily.com/register.

And you can like us on Facebook, check out our YouTube channel or follow us on Twitter @tuftsdaily and @tuftsdailysport.

As readings and problem sets come more frequently and midterm season descends upon us, rest assured that the Daily will be there with news that matters to you — every day in print and more frequently online. Don't worry — your crossword will be there, too.

Sincerely, Ben Gittleson Editor−in−Chief

--

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly identified C.J. Saraceno as a former editor-in-chief of the Primary Source. Saraceno has not served as the editor-in-chief of the publication but is a former editor.