• Editorial | This is why we can't have nice things

The weekend late-night dining operation at the Commons in the Mayer Campus Center has rolled back its closing time from 2 a.m. to 1 a.m. in an apparent attempt to alleviate the stress placed on the facility and Tufts Dining Services (TUDS) employees by generally unruly and inebriated students in search of food.

• Editorial | We must do more to stop sexual assault, support victims

The Harvard Crimson this week published a first-person account of a student’s on-campus sexual assault. The young woman, who wrote the piece in her dining hall seats away from her victimizer, said she lost herself after her attack, largely because of Harvard’s inaction.

• Editorial | Tufts Dental program highlights active citizenship

Tufts Dental School is raising the bar by making active citizenship and public service a core component of its student experience. The school’s new Global Service Learning Initiative, which works to make international service opportunities for students more accessible and sustainable, speaks volumes to how Tufts prioritizes community service across its many schools.

• Editorial | Poster campaign is postitive artistic initiative

In the last few weeks, a series of art installations have popped up on a variety of walls around campus. Featuring the faces and words of prominent voices of color, the installations have helped to spark vibrant discussion via a new and exciting medium on the university’s campus.

• Letter to the Editor

Dear Editor, In light of the many recent articles, comments and demonstrations regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, I have found myself somewhat disenchanted by the proponent groups of both sides. Don’t get me wrong, I believe it is entirely justified and powerful to write, speak and demonstrate, so long as it is done in a respectful, open-minded manner. 1 comment

• Op-Ed | Excluding non-Christians from leadership is unnecessary, sets dangerous precedent

Last month, the Committee on Student Life revised its policy on student religious and philosophical groups, no longer allowing religious groups to apply for a “justified departure” from the University’s non-discrimination policy. This has sparked discussion and debate on campus, including a Feb.

• Editorial | Tufts must value humanities

Many have discounted the educational value of majoring in fields that lie outside of the science, technology, engineering and math arenas, yet an education in humanities is not the professional death sentence that it so often gets branded as. In fact, studying literature, philosophy and other humanities-based subjects can even be considered an essential part of all students’ educations. 1 comment

• Editorial | Education major would benefit many

The Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate voted unanimously last month to endorse the implementation of an education major. At this point in the process, professors and administrators have begun discussions about installing this secondary major at Tufts.

• Editorial | Greek life needs more space

With the announcement that the Sigma Nu fraternity and Kappa Alpha Theta sorority will move into a house together next year, the growth of Greek life on campus is back in the news. The new location for SigNu, a previously established campus fraternity, and Theta, a new sorority, reminds us that Greek life now is more prominent on campus than ever.

• Editorial | Salary freeze and low job security problems for adjunct professors

In September of last year, Tufts’ adjunct professors voted to unionize. The School of Arts and Sciences has now begun negotiations with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), representing the university’s adjunct faculty. In a recent statement sent to the Tufts community, the administration announced that, “Tufts is committed to a good working relationship with the SEIU and hopes to work productively and with mutual respect toward a contract.

• jkl

Op-Ed | Why we can’t take no for an answer

“This is the year to take action on climate change. There are no more excuses,” Jim Yong Kim, current President of the World Bank, proclaimed at this year’s World Economic Forum in Davos. “We can divest [from carbon-intensive assets],” he continued, saying that investing in the fossil fuel industry betrays investors’ “responsibility to future pension holders who will be affected by decisions made today.

• Off the Hill | University of Nevada at Las Vegas

An article in The Las Vegas Review-Journal was posted regarding the issue of restoring voting rights to former inmates. Attorney General Eric Holder has led the charge towards reform on the issue. Earlier this week, Holder urged a group of 11 states to give former inmates their right to vote as a means of remedying flaws in our system.

• Off the Hill | University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire

A college education used to be a no-brainer if you wanted to succeed. It got you a solid profession, out of your parents’ home and into one of your own.  Today, however, those who can afford the increasing tuition (first qualifying for federal loans) outperform their classmates and often land a job right after graduation.

• Editorial | Making change abroad includes reform at home

Foreign policy enthusiasts, policy- makers, world-changers and activists are among those who consider foreign aid to be one of the most powerful tools in ending world poverty. The popularity of foreign aid is hardly surprising given its direct approach: it’s hard to question the efficacy of giving money to people who need it to eat.

• Editorial | Working for adjuncts an important goal

Tufts adjunct faculty voted in September to join the Service Employees International Union, the United States’ largest labor union, as part of its Adjunct Action campaign to collectively bargain for part-time professors at universities across the country.

• Op-Ed | CSL decision ignores CARE, activist participation

Reading the op-ed, “CSL changes ‘justified departure’ policy” by Professor Alva Couch and senior Haydn Forrest and the accompanying Daily editorial, “CSL policy changes are important step” we were elated and even a bit teary. The Committee on Student Life’s (CSL) December 2012 creation of a policy that threw out everything we knew to be true about Tufts as a whole, and the religious and philosophical community, marred the winter of our senior years at Tufts.

• Recyclemania 2014: Get ready,… go!

Mary Snyder

You’ve all been waiting for it. After much anticipation, I can now proudly announce that the Recyclemania 2014 competition has begun. Tufts Recycles! interns have been busy with preliminary grades for each dorm and house, but now it’s time for the real fun.

• Letter From the Editor | Introducing our columnists

Hi there, Tufts!  It has been nearly two weeks since our first issue, and I’m pleased to announce that the Daily has officially gone “daily” again! From here on out, we’ll be bringing you the most newsworthy, up-to-date stories, five days a week until the end of the semester.

• Op-ed | Why Tufts deserves an on-campus pub, and why I’m trying to make it happen

If you are over 21, I am asking you to order a drink or two from Hotung this Friday night. Here’s why: It’s been a busy and productive first half of a year on the TCU Senate — in particular, the Services Committee headed by senators Christie Maciejewski, a senior, and Janna Karatas, a sophomore.

• Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:  I was distressed to read in your newspaper that former Georgian President Saakashvili had been appointed as a so-called “Senior Statesman” at the Fletcher School. This appointment is not only an example of bad judgment by Fletcher’s new dean, but it is even more a disservice to Fletcher students and to the entire university community. 3 comments

• From the Editor-in-Chief | More than just Sudoku

Welcome back, Tufts! It’s always a little tough to return to classes after a leisurely month-long break, but, hey, look on the bright side: 47 degrees and sunny is definitely not the worst way to start the spring semester on the Hill. As I combed through the Daily’s archives, reading old introductory letters from past editors to gain some inspiration for my own, I noticed a couple of trends.

Op-Ed Columns