Seniors in the Spotlight

Matt McCormick

Published: Sunday, May 23, 2010

Updated: Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:05

Matt McCormick

Danai Macridi / Tufts Daily

Matt McCormick

Millions already know him as the unofficial face of the Beelzebubs from the group's runner-up finish on NBC's "The Sing-Off" (2009), but senior Matt McCormick is leaving the comfort of a capella harmonies behind as he pursues a career in music as half of All Out, a pop-electronic outlet in the vein of 3OH!3. McCormick and his hometown friend Joe Skutnik formed the duo two years ago, and McCormick said that "encouragement over time," climaxing with the Bubs' stint on "The Sing-Off," led him to see musical stardom as a legitimate post-Tufts possibility.

"It was a taste of fame, almost," McCormick said of The Sing-Off. "It was a blast, and probably something I'll never get to do again ... TV is really crazy — the whole schedule, just how they do contestant shows, is a little nuts."

McCormick's appearance on "The Sing-Off" also sparked a surge in popularity on YouTube.com for the music video of All Out's "Lights," which was filmed at the Tufts Alpha Tau Omega house. At press time, the video had over 188,000 views, an eye-catching number, particularly considering that All Out isn't signed to a record label and must get the word out about its work without the backing of a public relations team.

"We had to hit the ground running with advertising and promoting things," McCormick said.

The popularity of the "Lights" video helped spur McCormick's decision to roll the dice on a music career, he said.

"There were a lot of factors that led me to see music as a viable option, but people are really into ["Lights"], and singing is what I love to do. I'm just happy that people like it," McCormick said.

McCormick will spend his summer living at home in Shelburne, Mass. collaborating with Skutnik on new songs before embarking on a tour of small local venues in the fall. "I'm moving back there right after school ends to write music without paying rent for a couple of months before we start making real money from doing gigs and shows," he said.

McCormick said that he and Skutnik are using royalties earned from iTunes sales of the group's self-released debut EP, "The Get Down," to fund the recording of a mix tape to shop around to record labels.

As for the future, McCormick said he harbors pipe dreams of collaborating with Jay-Z and Ludacris by 2015, but that he would be happy just to earn a living as a musician.

"I just want to be making music. Five years [is] enough time to figure out what I want to do for a longer period of time. In five years, we could be playing packed shows at schools or touring the world. I think we've got the right stuff."