Skiing | Club skiing closes out season after competing at Eastern Regionals

Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 08:02

The Tufts Ski Team wrapped up its 2013 season this weekend at the Eastern Regionals, where a number of skiers from the club team submitted solid showings, despite none qualifying for nationals.

Captained by junior Chelsea Stevens, who is also an assistant layout editor for the Daily, and senior Nathan Goldsberry, the men’s and women’s teams have been training for this final race throughout the year at Pats Peak in Henniker, N.H., and Bradford Ski Area in Bradford, Mass. twice a week.

The team trains at Pats Peak on Fridays, and at Bradford Ski Area on Wednesdays. The team has had competitions nearly every weekend of second semester, including races at Dartmouth College, Cochran’s Ski Area and Sunday River, and took to Mt. Abram for this weekend’s regional competition.

Held in Maine, the competition saw Tufts racing against other teams from the NESCAC and the New England area, with each team sending five racers and one alternate to the event. Stevens, Sara Hanneman, Sarina Scott, Anna Richardson and Meredith Coleman raced for the women, while Goldsberry, Racine Rohan, Warren Rixon, Dan Bozovick and Bradford Berry competed for the men.

The competition consisted of two events: slalom and giant slalom. Women and men have a first run on the course, and then the course is reset for the second run. The combined time of the runs is used to determine standings. For team standings, the fastest three women and men are used to determine the winners.

In the slalom, the Tufts women placed fifth, paced by Stevens, Hanneman and Scott, who placed ninth, 16th and 21st, respectively. Brown blew away the competition with a first place total score of eight points. And in the giant slalom, Tufts placed seventh, with 55 total points, as Brown once again took the event win.

On the men’s side, Tufts finished eighth in the slalom behind Rohan’s 11th place individual finish. In first place was Babson, which accumulated just 11 points compared to Tufts’ 55.

In the giant slalom, the men finished in 11th place with 121 total points, as Clarkson took the event win.

Neither team was able to qualify for nationals, but the men still take a positive from the weekend after a strong showing.

“We didn’t have as many finishers as we needed to score on Saturday,” Rixon said. “But if we had, we would have been the best club team there, so the only teams that ended up beating us were varsity teams that get way more funding than us.”

Tufts will now look ahead to next season, where they will return all but one racer, showing the potential hidden within this year’s team.

“We’re still sort of in a rebuilding phase,” Rixon said. “So we kind of had to start and rebuild our talent pool. We weren’t really expecting to make nationals, but we only had one senior on the team this year, so we’re looking forward to success in years to come.”

Freshman Charlie Hegstad noted that the season had provided him with a great deal of experience, and although the team wasn’t able to qualify, he thoroughly enjoyed the year.

“My experience with the team has been nothing but amazing” he said. “I’ve gotten to know so many great people, improve my skiing immensely, and have an absolute blast while doing it. It’s a great group of people who are doing what they love, and I wouldn’t change anything about it.”

1 comments Log in to Comment