| Campus closing delays athletic events

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013 02:02

With the Medford/Somerville campus closed from Feb. 8 to 10 and travel to and from the Hill very difficult, all athletic events for Tufts teams originally scheduled for this past weekend were postponed. Although Tufts tried to squeeze the men’s and women’s basketball games in on Sunday afternoon, the contests were again rescheduled, and the men’s game will now be held on Tuesday evening, with the women playing on Wednesday.

The hockey team, which was scheduled to play on Friday evening and Saturday night at Valley Forum II, was forced to give up one of its home games due to the storm. Their contest last night against Hamilton, which the Jumbos won 6−4, was played at Conn. College rather than in Medford due to travel issues. Tonight, the Jumbos return for a true home game and will take on Amherst at 6 p.m. Check Tuesday’s Daily for full coverage of both games.

The track and field teams’ Cupid Challenge was postponed until this afternoon at 4 p.m., and the Jumbos will still be able to run in one of their few home meets of the year.

The men’s and women’s squash teams are still awaiting the decision on when they will be able to play in the Div. III Individual Championships. The women’s fencing team is also awaiting rescheduling, since its meet at Boston University was postponed.

Overall, the weather issues of this past weekend don’t appear to affect any of the playoff schedules in the coming weeks, as no changes have been made to the upcoming NESCAC schedule.

--