Men’s Lacrosse | Hessler breaks all−time scoring record in blowout win over Lasell

Published: Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 07:03

It's official: Senior attackman D.J Hessler is the best offensive — if not overall — player in Tufts men's lacrosse history.

With a goal at 11:38 in the third quarter of last night's 23−5 victory at Lasell College, Hessler passed Bryan Griffin (LA '05) as the program's all−time highest−scoring player with 236 points. The senior co−captain tied the record with an unassisted goal late in the second frame.

The top−ranked Jumbos moved to 2−0 with a crushing victory over Lasell, racking up Tufts' highest goal total since March 23, 2009, when the Jumbos had 26 tallies versus Mount Ida College.

Tufts' defense was strong in the Amherst win last Saturday, but the offense struggled at times, managing just one goal in the third quarter and 13 overall. But after starting last night's game slowly, and even trailing 2−1 midway through the first frame, Tufts began to score in bunches, dwarfing Lasell 17−2 in the second and third quarters combined. Hessler led the Jumbos with seven points, to which junior attackman Sean Kirwan and senior attackman Ryan Molloy added four points apiece. Junior goalkeeper Steven Foglietta split time between the pipes with sophomore Tyler Page and first−year Patton Watkins, a threesome which as a unit gave up five goals on 31 shots.

With a seven−point game, Hessler now has 238 points on 109 goals and 129 assists in his career. He already holds Tufts' all−time assist record, having broken Griffin's mark of 101 with a six−assist performance in last May's NESCAC Quarterfinal win against Williams.

The No. 1 Jumbos will continue their season against NESCAC rival Colby on Saturday at Bello Field.

--