Women’s squash falls short at Nationals

Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 00:02

With the season nearing its end, the women’s squash team traveled to Yale over the weekend to participate in the Women’s College Squash Association National Team Championships.

In its last team match of the year, the Jumbos played some of their best squash of the season.

Entering the tournament as the top seed in the E Division and 33rd seed overall, they began the round robin round on the right foot by rolling over the University of Rochester with a 9−0 shutout on Friday.

In an outstanding team effort, the Jumbos swept the Yellow Jackets by winning all 27 games. Co−captain Jessica Rubine set the tone by beating Rochester’s Alexandra Mackie 11−0 in the first game of the match, and the senior allowed just five total points in her three games.

Tufts advanced on Saturdayto the finals with a 9−0 victory over the University of California, Berkeley, the 36th seed overall. The Jumbos nearly matched their dominance from the day before, losing just two out of the 29 games played. Senior co−captain Hafsa Chaudhry allowed just nine points on the day, winning all three of her games by a score of 11−3.

Tufts nearly stumbled at the end when junior Denise Amisial dropped the first game of the final match, but she rallied to win her next three games and seal the shutout.

After picking up a pair of lopsided victories, the Jumbos were brimming with confidence.

“We went into those matches knowing we were the better team,” said Rubine, “and we played like the better team.”

Tufts squared off with Haverford College, the second seed in the E Division and 34th overall, in the division finals. The Jumbos battled the Fords throughout a close, competitive match but faltered at the finish line and lost 6−3.

Haverford took the first two matches, but Tufts roared back to take the lead with three straight victories from seniors Ushashi Basu, Risa Meyers and Chaudhry. Basu took her opponent, Alexandra Love, down to the wire before finally prevailing in extra points, 15−13, in the fifth and final game, while Meyers and Chaudhry encountered less resistance in dispatching opponents in three games apiece.

The Fords recovered to take the final four matches and win the division championship. Four times the Jumbos were on the brink of victory after fighting Haverford to do−or−die fifth games, only to lose three of them at the very end. Their final match came down to just a couple of breaks that went in Haverford’s direction.

“The match really could have gone either way,” Rubine said about the see−saw affair, “and it happened to go their way this time.”

With that, the Jumbos’ team season is over. Tufts will next compete at the CSA Individual Championships at Trinity from March 1−3.