Squash | Tufts squash goes 0−4 on the weekend

Men lose three, women one, as Jumbos continue to slide

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2013 07:01

squash

Alex Dennett / Tufts Daily Archives

Sophomore Hugo Meggitt struggled over the weekend as the Jumbos fell in all three of their matches.

The men’s and women’s squash teams returned to action this past weekend after more than a month off the court, both looking for a jumpstart to the second halves of their seasons after frustrating losses before winter break. The men stood at 5−4 heading into their three match weekend, while the women entered their match against Boston College at 2−4.

The men’s team began the weekend against Conn. College, where they were forced to play shorthanded after an injury to sophomore co−captain and team No. 2 Zachary Schweitzer forced every Jumbo to slide up a rung in the ladder.

“The injury made us slightly less competitive,” sophomore Elliot Kardon said. “Team morale got a little low, because we knew everyone had to play at a higher level.”

The Jumbos were unable to overcome the injury, and their mid−season struggles continued with a 9−0 loss at Conn. College on Saturday, followed by hard−fought 6−3 and 7−2 losses against Hobart College and Stanford University, respectively.

Against Hobart, freshmen Aditya Advani and Brandon Weiss joined Kardon as winners. Advani and Silverman were the lone winners for the Jumbos against Stanford.

Tufts had their chances in the second two matches, though, with one five−set and three four−set losses against the Herons and one five−set loss to the Cardinals. Kardon, the team’s No. 5 on the day took his Saturday match 11−9, 11−3, 11−8 and was happy with the team’s overall effort and felt that with a couple more breaks, the two later matches could have gone their way.

“Conn. College was tough, but Hobart and Stanford, who are traditionally rivals of ours, we played very close,” Kardon said. “Without Zach’s injury, I would have liked our chances.”

One notable bright spot from the matches was freshman standout and team No. 1 Advani, who paced Tufts with two match wins on the weekend in straight sets. Part of a young team without any seniors, Advani brings a strong squash background and has been able to jump into college squash seamlessly, as he has posted a 9−3 record so far this season.

“Aditya is a shooter. He has deadly shots, is very accurate and has very good touch, unlike the more American style of overpowering and outlasting an opponent,” Kardon said. “We have a really young team, with a very bright future, and Aditya is an important part of that.”

Upcoming for the Jumbos is a round−robin tournament at Bowdoin this weekend, followed by the NESCAC championships a week later.

On the women’s team, the Jumbos only had one match this weekend against Conn. College, in which they were defeated 8−1. This lone victory came from sophomore Paige Dahlman, who won her match in four sets, 11−5, 7−11, 11−3, 11−5, in a matchup of No. 2’s. Three other matches were taken to four sets, but the Jumbos were unable to apply any serious pressure.

Despite the difficult stretch the team has been on, spirits are high, according to senior co−captain Jessica Rubine. The team looks forward to matches this weekend at Bowdoin.

“We have some of our most important matches coming up, and I think just having confidence in ourselves will come a long way,” Rubine said. “The match against Conn. College wasn’t a blow out, and playing in these tough matches will help us going forward.”