Swimming and Diving | Men’s swimming comes out of weekend 2−1, women’s team slumps to three defeats

Published: Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 08:11

msandd

Scott Tingley / Tufts Daily Archives

The men’s swimming team defeated conference foes Conn. College and Middlebury this weekend.

The Tufts men’s swimming team opened its 2012−13 season strong this Saturday, finishing 2−1 in matchups with Conn. College, Middlebury and Keene State, while the women’s team got off to its first 0−3 start since at least 1999.

The men’s team was able to handle its Saturday in−conference matchups with the Camels and the Panthers, 144−135 and 183−104, respectively, with a number of young swimmers submitting strong performances in their collegiate debuts.

Freshman Anthony DeBenedetto won three events. including the 200−meter freestyle, 200−meter butterfly and 500−meter freestyle, and classmate Michael Winget won two, including the 200−meter backstroke and 200−meter IM to pace the Jumbos in the early going.

After swimming for the first−place 200−meter medley relay team, junior Drew Berman and sophomore John Devine added individual victories of their own, with Berman taking the 100−meter backstroke and Devine the 50−meter freestyle.

In the diving well, it was business as usual for junior Johann Schmidt, who came away victorious in the one−meter dive.

The Jumbos took first place in 10 events during the day, while Berman, freshman Cam Simko and junior Kyle Savidge added runner−up finishes.

“My teammates stepped up to win some close races, and I think that fight really embodies our motivation this year,” Savidge said.

On Sunday against Keene State, Berman and Schmidt both won two events, while Winget and DeBendetto showed their wins on Saturday were not flukes as they each took home another victory to go with second place finishes from Devine and Simko.

However, the Owls’ Drew Ledwith was too fast for the Jumbos, as the junior won the 200m backstroke, 200m butterfly and the 500m freestyle en route to his team’s 163−128 victory.

For the women, however, the weekend was one to forget. In the meet against Keene State, Tufts was only able to win one event, with senior Ali Maykranz taking home first place in the three−meter dive.

Similarly, in the meet against the Camels and Panthers, only junior Jenny Hu managed to grab a first−place finish in the 200−meter backstroke, while a bevy of second and third−place finishes were not enough to overcome the strong NESCAC foes.

The men’s and women’s teams will swim again at the MIT Invitational on Nov. 30, while the women also have a home dual meet with Wellesley on Nov. 28.

--