TCU Election Results

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013 15:02

In yesterday’s Tufts Community Union (TCU) elections, two new senators in the junior class and two in the senior class were elected. The open seat for sophomore class council tresaurer was also filled, in addition to open seats on the TCU Judiciary and the Committee on Student Life.

The results are as follows:

Senior Senate
Jameelah Morris
Tabias Wilson

Junior Senate
Shriya Nevatia
Joshua Youner

Judiciary
Becky Goldberg, sophomore
Leah Shaw, freshman

Committee on Student Life
Emani Holyfield, sophomore
Kumar Ramanathan, sophomore

Sophomore Class
Council Treasurer
Michael Fein
Several students also walked on to community representative and Programming Board seats uncontested:

LGBT Center Representative
John Kelly, sophomore

Women’s Center Representative
Grainne Griffiths, junior

Junior Class Council
President: Patrick Kazley

Treasurer: Jordanna Rosen

Sophomore Class Council
Secretary
Daniel Madwed

The election had a 32.6 percent voter turnout with 1,704 students casting ballots, according to Elections Commission Public Relations Chair Paige Newman, a freshman.
Morris, who ran alongside Wilson on identical platforms, said the two new senators plan to bring to their one-semester tenure a focus on academic equity and increased research opportunities.
“Both Tabias and I have worked with various aministrators on ways that we can get more support for research opportunities in various academic fields,” she said last night after the election results were released.
Ramanathan is one of two new elected student representatives to the Committee on Student Life, a group of faculty members and students charged with hearing appeals of decisions handed down by the Judiciary. He said that he looks forward to encouraging more cooperation between the committee and the students it serves.
“I hope to bridge the gap between the the CSL and the student body,” he said.