TCU Senate update | Senate supports need−blind policy

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

Updated: Monday, December 3, 2012 07:12

The Tufts Community Union Senate began its meeting last night with a question−and−answer session with Dean of Undergraduate and Graduate Students John Barker. Barker spoke about the need for an extended orientation experience for freshmen that would address issues like wellness, international immersion and civility.

Barker also asked the Senate about its support of a separate body of students who would give perspective on large campus changes and issues. Some senators questioned the need for a representative student group that would essentially mimic a Senate without budgetary powers.

The Senate unanimously passed a resolution in support of need−blind admissions, though it admitted that a need−blind policy is likely unfeasible for the university at this time.

The Anime Brigade and the science fiction and fantasy cinema club Beyond the Light were allocated $135 of a $195 request for their first ever Dragon Ball, a dance event. The Tufts Queer Straight Alliance received $1296.90 to send representatives to a conference. The body allocated $698 to the Tufts chapter of Amnesty International for a letter−writing campaign, an invitation to an off−campus speaker and Jamnesty, a live music event featuring Tufts bands. In addition, the Brasil Club was allocated $483.46 for their Carnaval event.

Following the vandalism incident at last spring’s Tufts Dance Collective performance, the Senate distributed $840 to the group for pizza, to be served to performers backstage. The funds come as part of a larger process of reforms intended to avoid future incidents at the show.

Student musical theatre group Torn Ticket II received $2,500 to purchase three new microphones for its performers.

The body gave $1,056 to the University Wind Ensemble to send the group on its winter trip, which occurs every three years.

Finally, the Tufts Global China Connection received $11,432,24 to fund their annual China−U.S. Symposium, a weekend−long event that will include a variety of speakers.

--