TCU Senate update | TCU Senate to vote on safety resolution

Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 08:11

The Tufts Community Union Senate began its meeting last night with a moment of silence for poet Brandon Lacy Campos, 35, who died Friday after speaking at Tufts’ Black Solidarity Day rally on Nov. 5 and for the Tufts undergraduate who was hospitalized after being struck by a car at the intersection of Packard Avenue and Powder House Boulevard. Senators announced the creation of a resolution in support of safety upgrades at the intersection, which will be put to a vote at next week’s session.

The Senate changed its agenda this week to allow for individual senators to announce progress on their own projects. Projects include research on extending the pass/fail deadline, encouraging minority leaders to create a community forum and ongoing work with Dean of Student Affairs Bruce Reitman to adjust Joey drivers’ contracts to accommodate the use of the JoeyTracker GPS service.

Senators approved a funding request for nine members of the improvisational comedy group Cheap Sox to attend a professional improvisation workshop in Chicago. Though the group had initially requested $3,856, the Allocations Board recommended a total of $2,214, with the greatest deduction being a 60 percent reduction of the requested funds for food, in accordance with standard Board procedures.

The body also approved two allocations totaling $925 for the Tufts chapter of the healthcare nonprofit GlobeMed. The funds will be used for the group’s Fall Color Event and for printing quarterly/annual reports for their donors.

The Senate allocated $432 to itself for several events, including a conference at Williams College. The Tufts Pre−Law Society received $141 of a $700 request for advertisements and speaker fees. Reductions were due to Senate procedures, including limits on the percentage of an allocation to be spent on food and a prohibition on re−imbursing subway costs.

Allocations were refused for the fraternity Alpha Epsilon Pi’s Halloween party, on the grounds that the Senate does not fund events retroactively.