The Artsy Jumbo | Senior Chloe Rotman explores sketch comedy

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Updated: Thursday, December 6, 2012 08:12

artsy

Ashley Seenauth / the Tufts Daily

Sketch comedy has been a constant part of Chloe Rotman’s life at Tufts. She is currently the president of Major: Undecided and has been a member of the group for four years. A senior majoring in Child Development, Rotman said the group provided an alternative option for performing after doing theater in high school.

“In high school, I did a lot of plays and musical theater, and I got to college and decided that that wasn’t necessarily what I wanted to put my time into,” she said. “So I looked around for other alternatives and I found Majors. I loved that it gave me a chance to perform — and perform often — and [I] also just fell in love with the people and the community. The comedy community is fantastic here.”

Major: Undecided is a sketch comedy group that features sketches written, produced and performed by students. In addition to helping oversee the rehearsal process and PR for Major’s shows, Rotman also writes and performs in the sketches.

Rotman initially focused on performing over writing in the past, but this year she is writing more for the group.

“In the past, I’ve done more performing than writing ... I write a lot, but it took me a long time to get comfortable with writing dialogue and writing sketches,” she explained.

Rotman looks to hopefully continue her work in sketch comedy after graduation. Ideally, she would like to go to Chicago and take classes with The Second City improvisation group.

You can catch Rotman “Major: Undecided Presents: A Parfait of the Tartist as a Young Flan,” which takes place tonight at 9:30 p.m. in Barnum 008.

--