The Artsy Jumbo | Sophomore Kit Collins marches to own drum

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012 08:11

artsy

Ashley Seenauth / Yhe Tufts Daily

A sophomore leaning toward a major in sociology with a minor in urban studies, Kit Collins is a talented drummer for B.E.A.T.s, Tufts’ student percussion group.

“I joined B.E.A.T.s the first semester of my freshman year and I’ve been bangin’ away ever since,” said Collins. (Though B.E.A.T.s is known by its acronym around campus, its actual name is Bangin’ Everything at Tufts.) Collins now spends a good portion of her time performing and writing songs for the group. Though she drummed for her classical orchestra in high school, she has moved far beyond the traditional percussive channels.

“Getting involved in a less conventional drumming outlet has been transformative for me,” she explained.

Aside from her musical involvement with B.E.A.T.s, Collins also harbors a love of visual art.

“I tend toward drawing, though I also really enjoy collage and have dabbled in painting, photography and sculpture,” she said.

She developed an interest in art when she was very young and it has remained a hobby for her over the years. In high school, she even started her own small business selling shoes and accessories that she decorated with her own designs.

Collins attributes her artistic inspirations to two people: her grandmother, who she says can turn just about anything into a piece of art, and artist Vik Muniz, who, according to Collins, entwines his art with social commentary “in all the best ways.”