The unofficial guide to freshman housing

Published: Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Updated: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:09

There's a lot your RA won't tell you about your dorm in that first hall meeting. That's at least partially because she probably wants to keep her job. But at the Daily, we aren't subject to these concerns, and since every residence hall comes with its own stigma — some earned, some a bit overblown — we thought you might like some help reading between the lines for an alternative look at where you're living.

Tilton: If you weren't already a chill, hookah-smoking kid in high school, after a semester in Tilton, you will be.

Dorm room essential: lighter

Houston: The epitome of the all-freshman dorm, Houston's halls are always replete with costumed party-goers, late night jam sessions and frustrated RAs. Good luck getting your work done.

Dorm room essential: earplugs

Hill: The entire dorm is healthy living, and they couldn't have picked a better location. You might not be able to get stress relief from binge drinking, but its proximity to the gym means that you'll be able to take out your frustrations on some free weights and a treadmill.
Dorm room essential: letter opener

Haskell: From the outside, Haskell looks a lot like Tilton. From the inside, a lot like Wren. In reality, it measures up to neither.
Dorm room essential: mounting tape for the brick walls

Bush: The oft-forgotten dorm, Bush Hall hides right around the corner from Dewick-MacPhie Dining Hall and is mostly ... unremarkable in every way. Single bathrooms are a plus, but their appearance borders on prison-like.

Dorm room essential: Tupperware for stealing dining hall fruit

Lewis: Often the last pick for the dodgeball team, so to speak, Lewis looks a bit foreboding. Escaping its concrete walls is probably the best way to cope. Luckily, it has a beautiful sequestered lawn all to itself.
Dorm room essential: good social skills

Carmichael: From the outside, Carmichael is the most picturesque and historic looking dorm on campus. The bathrooms tell a different story. At least you won't have to face the freezing wind tunnel to get to the dining hall — just walk downstairs.

Dorm room essential: scale

Hodgdon: Hodgdon dwellers are a mischievous bunch. Be careful — once you start trick-turning bottled water and granola bars, it's a slippery slope to full-on kleptomania.

Dorm room essential: roach traps

Miller: Don't be confused by the jealous stares from other classmates — they just wish they had those nice new couches. Being sexiled doesn't seem that bad when you can go relax in the lounges.

Dorm room essential: foosballs

Metcalf: You're like the Goldilocks on campus. Uphill? Downhill? No, Metcalf is just right. But the Bridge program's late-night intellectual discussions might not live up to their PR.

Dorm room essential: philosophy books

Richardson: Blessed with some of the nicest rooms on campus, you'll also miss out on the notorious "freshman boy room smell" that often permeates dorm hallways.

Dorm room essential: vibrator

South: One of Tufts' newest dorms is clean and comfy. The only thing about South is the trek north. It takes its toll.

Dorm room essential: window fan

10 comments Log in to Comment

Your name
Thu Sep 10 2009 22:11
i think this article is great. i was a hodgdon klepto...
Your name
Fri Sep 4 2009 23:10
Hodgdon has roaches? Ugh.
Your name
Fri Sep 4 2009 13:45
Forgot to mention that Tilton's going to be the party dorm this year. It switched every year between Houston and Tilton. Houston was last year. Tilton's this year.
Yep...great memories from teeeeeeeeeeeeeefour (07-08)
Your name
Fri Sep 4 2009 10:27
Your name
Thu Sep 3 2009 20:02
Not so sure about the dorm essential for Richardson Hall...I think it was in bad taste.
Your name
Thu Sep 3 2009 00:38
I don't think this is dumb, actually kinda funny. Though I'd like to see this same feature done with actual reporting: quotes from residents, background on developments at the dorm.

Also, not sure freshmen reading this will know what trick turning is...

not that dumb
Wed Sep 2 2009 21:12
actually many of these observations still ring true . . . take it from an alum. only the sexiest jumbos live in miller.
lame
Wed Sep 2 2009 20:44
bitter much? looks like someone wasn't thrilled with their lottery average.
False info
Wed Sep 2 2009 17:09
A newspaper should at least get it's information right. Carmichael was completely redone this summer.
wow
Wed Sep 2 2009 11:37
this is dumb. the culture of the dorms changes 100% every year, since people are randomly assigned. once again, dumb. and ohhhhh, vibrator, shock value! who cares.