TTS gives access to cloud storage service

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Friday, February 15, 2013 11:02

cellphone

Oliver Porter / The Tufts Daily

Students and staff can now access the file storage site Box for free with a Tufts username.

A Tufts Technology Services (TTS) initiative will allow all members of the Tufts community to access the file-sharing and storage site Box.com with their Tufts username and password for free.

“The cloud computing services are becoming more and more popular,” TTS Director of Communications and Organizational Effectiveness Dawn Irish said. “They’re a great solution for things like backing up your laptops as well as collaborating on documents and files with your colleagues and your peers in class, so we thought it was a great investment for the university to make at this time.”

A link to the log-in page for Tufts community members can be found on the TTS website.

TTS purchased the license at the end of last year and ran a pilot through January before opening it up to students, Irish explained.

“We had 600 people split across the university and split across all three campuses [in the pilot],” TTS Manager of Enterprise Services Lee Raymond said. “About half of them were faculty and staff, and the other half were students, so we heard feedback from all of the groups,” The service can be used to store or share any sort of files up to one gigabyte in size, and students can store up to 20 gigabytes total per person. Irish added that it will be up to specific users to determine how they will use the service.

“I think people might use it very differently in some cases,” she said. “Certainly it can be used for schoolwork and business practices, but it can also be used as a safe place to put your vacation pictures or your family tree that you’ve been working on.”

Raymond explained that it will be an important new resource for students that will act as an supplemental site to Trunk for academic purposes.

“For me, if I were to look at it from a student’s eyes, the ability to share files with a group of individuals…[is] valuable,” Raymond said.

TTS receives reports of how many new accounts are created per day, as well as any login issues users report, according to Raymond. He said about 200 Tufts users per day have signed up since its release late last month.

“Basically we’ll be looking to see how the service grows and how quickly it’s adopted,” Raymond said. “We certainly hope that it’s well-received by the students and well-received by the faculty and staff, and we want to make sure we grow the service at the pace that those groups wanted to use the service.”

Irish said it is likely that TTS will renew the service when the current license expires.