Winter Bash sees crowded debut at Westin Copley

Published: Monday, February 4, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 15:02

winterbash

Nick Pfosi / The Tufts Daily

Logistical glitches that caused overcrowding in some areas and led to the event ending 20 minutes early didn’t stop last night’s Winter Bash from being a success, according to event organizers.

“There were a few hiccups, but [the Office for Campus Life (OCL)] Event Staff and the hotel staff dealt with it well,” Programming Board Co−Chair Christopher Blackett, a senior, said.

The 21−and−up area presented the greatest challenge, according to Blackett. There was no bathroom in the space, and more students entered the 21−and−up area than expected.

“It seemed like every 21−plus student went in there immediately,” he said. “We hadn’t expected so many people in the area.”

Because of the high turnout for the section, long lines developed to get into the 21−and−up area, resulting in some pushing and shoving, according to Blackett.

“There was a lot of flow in both directions [coming in and out of the 21−and−up area], but Event Staff was very helpful,” he said.

Blackett emphasized that these issues mainly stemmed from the layout of the event's new venue, the Westin Copley Place Boston Hotel.

The high number of students who came to Winter Bash in cabs was another surprise for the event organizers, according to Programming Board Co−Chair Mayan Lendner, a senior.

Beyond the logistical challenges, Blackett believed that Winter Bash ran smoothly. He added that students generally responded well to this year’s new DJs, The Jane Doze.

“I only heard good things about them from students,” he said.

Though Blackett did not know how many students were treated for intoxication at the event Winter Bash, he believed that the number was not significantly different from years past. 

The Tufts University Police Department could not provide the exact number of hospitalizations yesterday.

Overall, Blackett said, the event was a success.

“We learned a lot about the venue, so in the future we could work out the logistical issues,” he said.

--

Editor's Note:This article's original version incorrectly stated that Tufts Emergency Medical Service officers were present at the event. It has been edited to reflect this change.