Women's Crew | Jumbos return from training trip ready to row

Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 02:03

wcrew

Josh Berlinger / The Tufts Daily

Six of eight rowers from last year’s top-performing eights boat are returning for the women’s crew team’s spring season.

It has been five months since the women’s crew team competed at the Head of the Fish Regatta in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., raking in three sets of Fish Heads — equivalent to gold medals — as well as three silver medals and two fourth−place finishes.

At that event, the last of the Jumbos’ fall season, both the novice and varsity teams were in top form, enjoying standout performances by senior tri−captain Maggie Debski, the lightweight eights and a quad featuring juniors Caroline Patterson and Catherine Brena, senior tri−captain Kathleen Holec and senior Lilia Carey.

But that was back on Oct. 29. Now, the Jumbos are looking to pick up where they left off heading into the competitive spring season, which begins with a meet against Tulane on Saturday.

The Jumbos are fresh off a weeklong training trip in Florida, during which they got out on the water three times a day to hone their technique and enhance their fitness level.

“We had a really productive week,” Holec said. “And [we] had a chance to apply the weight training and conditioning we had done in the gym over the winter to our training on the water prior to racing next weekend.”

The spring break trip not only provided an opportunity for preseason fine−tuning, but also brought an already tight−knit group even closer together.

With Holec as the only captain remaining from last year, newly appointed captains Debski and senior Erika Parisi will also be counted on take the reins. In addition, while the three captains are the only rowers with official titles, Parisi believes that the team has many other leaders to guide it.

“The senior class this year is one of the tightest−knit classes in the past few years,” Parisi said. “Everyone has stepped up and taken on a leadership role on the team.”

The Jumbos have been motivating one another throughout the offseason, especially in the weight room. As they have progressed, their goals have become loftier. They were unable to crack the top regional and national rankings last year, but six of the eight rowers from Tufts’ top eight−woman boat at the New England Rowing Championships are returning, and their experience is likely to propel the Jumbos to new heights.

“We’re excited to start the season, especially after this past week of training,” Holec said. “[We] will hopefully start strong with a doubleheader next weekend, racing Tulane on Saturday and Hamilton on Sunday.”

After a week off following the Regatta against Hamilton, the Jumbos will compete each weekend between April 14 and May 11, capping off their season at the ECAC National Invitational Rowing Championships at the end of the semester.